Game Analysis - UConn vs Arkansas | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Game Analysis - UConn vs Arkansas

Reaction Score
didn't get to finish when it posted so. She drives exclusively right. She will hit the 3 ball if left wide open. I think we Will play man and zone and possibly a press. Keep mixing it up until something works.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I thought you would throw stats at me and I'm aware of them.

ever notice how many players that averages 25 a game aren't first team AA? stats dont tell the whole story. Otherwise, we could just look at stats and the box scores and we could select AA without ever watching a game. Stats tell a story no doubt but not the whole story. AG impacts the game beyond the stats.

I'd like to see how AG would perform with a dominate player like Boston next to her.
Me too.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Does anybody know if Paige will play tomorrow?
I don't believe her status for tomorrow has been announced yet. That will probably be a "game time" decision.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but you can hedge in man 2 man to stop penetration, impossible to do in a zone.

There is not one-way to defend a quicker team. Did you see the last title game for men - UCONN-vs Kentucky? UCONN was killing Ky's man-to-man defense. Ky went zone and helped turn the momentum of the game. While they lost ofc- when they were in a man-to-man they were getting crushed. Sometimes you just aren't quick enough in a man-to-man to hedge effectively.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think we will be playing an extended matchup zone .. I don't think we can guard them man-to-man .. we'll see, eh?
Uhm.. you realize that a matchup zone is essentially man to man on the ball and zone away from the ball right. So if we can't guard man to man why in the Haties would UCONN go to a match up zone and then extend it? Is that what they do on Long Island? Eh?

Reaction Score
Uhm.. you realize that a matchup zone is essentially man to man on the ball and zone away from the ball right. So if we can't guard man to man why in the Haties would UCONN go to a match up zone and then extend it? Is that what they do on Long Island? Eh?
Yes, I think we will play a matchup zone, extending out on Slocum&Ramiriz[so the can't launch a trey] and backing off of Dungee&Daniels [so they can't dribble-penetrate] .. the zone will keep Liv out of foul trouble, eh?

Reaction Score
I thought you would throw stats at me and I'm aware of them.

ever notice how many players that averages 25 a game aren't first team AA? stats dont tell the whole story. Otherwise, we could just look at stats and the box scores and we could select AA without ever watching a game. Stats tell a story no doubt but not the whole story. AG impacts the game beyond the stats.

I'd like to see how AG would perform with a dominate player like Boston next to her.
Not to be argumentative, but I cannot believe that there are (or have ever been) many players who averaged 25 a game that were not all American! First of all, there are not many players who average 25 points, let alone whether they are all Americans.
Me too.

Reaction Score
Not to be argumentative, but I cannot believe that there are (or have ever been) many players who averaged 25 a game that were not all American! First of all, there are not many players who average 25 points, let alone whether they are all Americans.
I got my GA hat on with hyperbole!! 20 pts a game anyway... but my point is that those with the most points don't always make first team AA (not just AA but First Team AA).

Reaction Score
She's going to get her touches and shots if you play man.

She's prone to forcing the issue, so if you can defender her with a little size and bring over a shot influencer for help, she's prone to getting very inefficient.

I think they are more dangerous when more players that Dungee are chipping in. So getting her into tunnel vision mode is probably a good result if you can bother her.
Good assessment. Playing man rarely works against Dungee and the Arkansas team. Few guards can keep Dungee from driving - she is a bull driving to basket so foot speed alone not the answer. A zone is one of the only ways to protect Nika if Geno chooses to give her major minutes.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Alot of analysis and great ideas on how to beat Ark. It comes down to we play defense and they dont. We will be able to score alot of points underneath because they dont play defense. We have bigs and they dont and our bigs should get alot of touches which will do 1 of 2 things. Alow our bigs to score or pass out to an open team mate. We should kill them on the boards too. We need to be patient and play our game and we win by double digits. They dont turn the ball over much and they usually shoot over 40% from the trey.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn has the number one defense partly because they have played against what appear to be some of the most offensively challenged teams in D1 basketball............this will be a good test to see if they can stick with some talented and experienced offensive players.....
Why not go all the way with this logic. I'll help: Uconn scores a lot of points because they play defensively challenged teams; they win a lot of games because they play cupcakes; they have won a lot of championships because the good teams get upset leaving them/Uconn to reap the benefits.

I'm trying my best to imagine a post-Covid-19 boneyard. When we start making sense again.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes, I think we will play a matchup zone, extending out on Slocum & Ramiriz [so the can't launch a trey] and backing off of Dungee&Daniels [so they can't dribble-penetrate] .. the zone will keep Liv out of foul trouble, eh?
That is not a matchup zone! Eh? Didn't you go over this when you were coaching at CTK. John Chaney match up zone used to give team fits come tournament time. Here is an added bonus Calapari dribble drive offense was what he basically came up with to counter Chaney's matchup zone when Calapari was coaching at UMass. Hint: There are a lot of dribble drive concepts in that Arkansas offense that would make playing a match up zone problematic. Geno got this!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes it is possible Liv is a top 5 center but she may not be as well. Saying she is top 5 sounds impressive, but even if she is, there is a MASSIVE difference between her and Boston. Also Boston has a consistent outside shot and I think they could run a good high low with AG posting up. Teams would have to put their biggest big on Boston and AG would feast on the second big with the room in the middle that would exist with Boston on the team.
You don't think teams already put their biggest big on ONO? And Griffin hasn't already been "feasting" off the second big??

I think and maybe I'm a bit off, but over the last 4-5 games AG is close to averaging a double double. There were at least 4-5 games earlier in the year, which is to say about half the games played, where she hardly scored - like 4 points. Against poor competition too so it isnt like she couldn't have....

She must be at 15 plus points over the last 4-5 games and that includes a down game against TN. Her rebounds may be just short of 10 per game over that time frame, but that would be because of the 4 (IIRC) that she had at TN. Look at the last 4-5 games. She must be at or close to a double double over that span. I'm really looking forward to seeing what she can do going forward. She will need a consistent jumper to be AA though.
Little bit.

Griffin over past 5 games is at 12.4/6. Which is really good. But not quite double/double.

Reaction Score
Why not go all the way with this logic. I'll help: Uconn scores a lot of points because they play defensively challenged teams; they win a lot of games because they play cupcakes; they have won a lot of championships because the good teams get upset leaving them/Uconn to reap the benefits.

I'm trying my best to imagine a post-Covid-19 boneyard. When we start making sense again.
talking about this year's team and their problematic schedule due to cancellations against competitive teams that makes their defense look statistically better than it is...........if you asked Geno if UConn had the best defense in the country what do you think he'd say?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
talking about this year's team and their problematic schedule due to cancellations against competitive teams that makes their defense look statistically better than it is...........if you asked Geno if UConn had the best defense in the country what do you think he'd say?
Geno would probably say he had little control over the schedule played this far, he's glad they are #1, & there is always room for improvement. To your point though if UCONN wasn't #1 defensively after playing this schedule Geno would be very concerned.

Reaction Score
Geno would probably say he had little control over the schedule played this far, he's glad they are #1, & there is always room for improvement. To your point though if UCONN wasn't #1 defensively after playing this schedule Geno would be very concerned.
could be but I think he might also use an eight letter word beginning with b and ending in t........

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score

Courtney Lyle and Carolyn Peck on the call
I really enjoy Courtney but Peck not so much.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She's not Ashley Battle but she is the closest thing this team has until Saylor becomes game ready. I don't envision a better matchup for UCONN than Aubrey on Dungee. That's not to say Aubrey will ultimately win the matchup but again she's the best we got. That shut down lingo is a little over the top. Contain, hold below averages, or keep from getting on a hot streak are much more attainable goals for defense on Dungee and Aubrey is more than capable of doing this. If any UCONN starter (not just Aubrey) gets in foul trouble we are in for a long night. Trouble is defined two fouls in the first half not three.

Reaction Score
Massey has us -10 which seems like a lot not knowing if Paige can/will play. Does Massey take injuries into account somehow or is it pure stats?

Reaction Score
I've noticed that AG over-plays guards from 25 ft from the basket and sometimes gets beat...maybe 3-4 times a game. I can see AG overplaying a wing or post but a guard who is quick is not quite right to me. She still doesn't get beat badly but still gets beat. Not sure if it is by GA's design for her to be on the ball so far from the basket, but if so, and she is matched up with Dungee and she very well could be, she will get beat more than usual.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom