OT: - Gallagher resigns at UHart | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Gallagher resigns at UHart

Reaction Score
In my mind both things can be true. He was treated badly by the school as was his team. But he also acted unprofessionally in leaving the day before the first game.

The problem with UHart at the D1 level is they are completely overshadowed by too many others. Nobody follows them including their own students. They could well succeed at the D3 level. Play local opponents with a chance to win. The move should have been handled better but for a school of its size and make up D3 is probably not a horrible place to be.
I went to the UHart vs. Sacred Heart game last night. Was surprised by how full the student section was. I'd estimate it was 80% filled. Was impressed UHart's Briggs McClain.

Reaction Score
I took one of my former players on a recruiting visit to UHart like 10 years ago, I absolutely love the on campus arena. It's such a damn shame what happened there in general, school administrators suck regardless of the level.

Reaction Score
Guy bailed on his team right as the season is about to start. Zero respect.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I took one of my former players on a recruiting visit to UHart like 10 years ago, I absolutely love the on campus arena. It's such a damn shame what happened there in general, school administrators suck regardless of the level.
It's almost as if UHar top brass should have tended to their own knitting instead being willing participants in Emmert's Send It In Against UConn Tour. I will never forgive them for badmothing UConn whenever someone put a microphone in front of them. Their demise was totally of their own doing. Still, we don't need local colleges dying.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I went to a UHa game a few years back when my nephew was looking at colleges.

There might have been 75 people in the stands.

If the people screaming about how it is an injustice that Hartford is dropping to DIII would have gone to more games, maybe this would not have happened?

Reaction Score
Gal is a gutless loser for bailing on his players the day before the season starts. I feel for the kids that bought his story.

The writing was on the wall for what this program would be 2 years ago. He could have left as soon as the downgrade was announced. But instead, he though he was bigger than the University and could bully them into changing directions or bending at his whim.

D-III routinely do not send trainers for road games - the home team would support both teams. And if that was such a big deal - why get on the bus in the first place without the trainer and travel to Dartmouth? Why not make your stance then and stay home and cancel a meaningless exhibition game? Instead, send a public letter and quit on the opening day for college hoops ... whatever.

He's got too many fan boys in coaching and media circles. He wasn't a very successful coach - he was at UHa for a decade with a mediocre record. He won 1 QA bid out of America East and some people think he's Wooden. Donyell Marshall, who is potentially the worst D-I coach I have ever witnessed, finished with a 2-3 record against him. Let that sink in ...
1668124330287.png

Reaction Score
I was closely involved in the Hartford MBB program from the early 60s until it went from Div2 to Div1. The decision to leave Div2 was made over the objections of the entire Athletic Department. Div2 MBB in New England was very competitive with 15-20 very evenly matched programs and well-attended games. Hartford going to Div1 was doomed from the start and the reasons for the demise of its Div1 athletic program match the objections raised before the initial decision was made by the administration of the school.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If it wasn't for UHar basketball, I never would have caught a Smokey Robinson concert for free.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
So sad to see the state of the program, and the University of Hartford going from D-I to D-lll. As a kid I recall the excitement when they went D-I with Jack Phelan as coach. My dad, who was an alumnus, had season tickets. For their inaugural season the Hawks played all or some of their home games at the old HCC, and they had concerts following at least some of the games. Truly a sad situation there now, and I feel bad for the student athletes. I don't know why he felt the need to leave so abruptly, but I wish him the very best in the next chapter.
I remember going to a game at the old Hartford CC (the lower bowl about 3,000 fans) and astonishingly the Hartt School of Music Jazz Band played throughout the entire game and half time (except during free throws). They had four men cheerleaders who continually threw the girl cheerleaders way up in the air and caught them. It was amazingly entertaining and kind of surrealistic. Oh and the team won the game over I think Niagra. I'll never forget that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom