Gaffney was good | The Boneyard

Gaffney was good

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Except for one of the few times he had to make a pass and threw it directly to the D.

It become painfully obvious he can't play the point. Trying to figure out if he can get 8-10 minutes as a scoring guard with Jackson or Cole running the point is a huge task for the coaching staff.
But as we sa w two games ago Gaff cannot be on the court while both Jax and Cole are on the
bench.

Reaction Score
9 minutes.
8 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist. Role player playing role very well.
He had an ugly three attempt in the first half and a pretty terrible TO in the second half.

He was fine. He's not what we hoped he'd be and what he was hyped as by some on the board, but he's serviceable. He can provide valuable minutes the remainder of the year and next year. Still, if Cole doesn't come back, I'd still like a portal ball-handler.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
9 minutes.
8 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist. Role player playing role very well.
I always liked him. Don't know what happened over the last couple of years. A bit of bad luck. However, he is stepping back in nicely.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Gaffney is literally not good at much besides hitting the occasional shot or getting the occasional assist. His minutes have gone down recently because everyone realizes this including Kimani, who barely played him against Nova and Hurley, who realizes he has to play Cole more. I’m not bashing Gaffney but he is not a good option but unfortunately we have no other option.

Reaction Score
I thought he looked poised and attacked the press which was so needed; he was NOT the problem breaking the press at the end with the bench. We don't need a ton from him, but if he can reliably break the press with AJax when Cole is out (please no more Martin on the press break) and can not be a sieve on defense then hes valuable. Not many teams in the tournament are going to have 9th men with more physical gift than Gaff at the 1/2 position

Reaction Score
I root for Gaff pretty darn hard. He has played a bit better as of late. Scored a few baskets in a couple games. But we are only slightly happy with some of his recent games because our expectations are so low. Also, we don't bring him in late when we need a second ball handler. That's when we need him.

But I suppose I'll take what I can get.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I root for Gaff pretty darn hard. He has played a bit better as of late. Scored a few baskets in a couple games. But we are only slightly happy with some of his recent games because our expectations are so low. Also, we don't bring him in late when we need a second ball handler. That's when we need him.

But I suppose I'll take what I can get.
Played better of late? Not sure of why you think that but he scored three points against Nova and ZERO in the three prior games. If you say so…:

Reaction Score
I’m not a huge fan of Gaffney but the quick leash for him in a game like today was a bit ridiculous. The second he turned it over in the 2H (around the 10 min mark I want to say) Hurley called to the bench to yank him immediately. Not necessary.

Reaction Score
Love it, that's what Calhoun used to do. I want more of this with Hurley
I understand the sentiment but I disagree. I want Hurley to pull guys like Calhoun did - when a kid didn’t just make a mistake but a boneheaded play to boot. Can’t be yanking guys after every turnover, especially guys like Gaff/Hawk/Polley whose confidence needs to be massaged

Reaction Score
I understand the sentiment but I disagree. I want Hurley to pull guys like Calhoun did - when a kid didn’t just make a mistake but a boneheaded play to boot. Can’t be yanking guys after every turnover, especially guys like Gaff/Hawk/Polley whose confidence needs to be massaged
Polley has been at UConn forever. I hope he still doesn't need his confidence massaged. I agree with certain players like Hawkins

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Gaffney has this glaring flaw he leaves his feet too much and will attempt to make a decision with the ball midair on the jump passes. He’s been doing it since high school. He just needs to stay under control and on his feet in these situations where he’s trapped or heavy pressure is applied.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Gaffney has this glaring flaw he leaves his feet too much and will attempt to make a decision with the ball midair on the jump passes. He’s been doing it since high school. He just needs to stay under control and on his feet in these situations where he’s trapped or heavy pressure is applied.
True but there’s a lot more than that

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
what was it that announcer person said? oh yeah,
'he has appeared in all 82 games of his career.' yeah, that's it.
quick, take a mental image survey of every other active player on the team, and remember why that one had their 'dnp.'

years left on ol jmoney's contract here. sweeeeet.

Reaction Score
It’s Georgetown… who’s basically at the talent level below even halfway decent mid majors. Their kenpom rating is right around Ivy League & MAAC schools. Sure he looks halfway decent against inferior competition.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom