Gabby's black tape on shoulder | The Boneyard

Gabby's black tape on shoulder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i finally realized today why Gabby always has the black tape on her left shoulder. I always wondered what purpose is it served and after watching some UCONN practice videos on the Geno A show, I see she has a tattoo there.

So who do you think made the rule that tats can not be visible on a player? I think that's also why Courtney Williams from USF wears the long sleeved rash guard under her jersey. She seems to have a lot of tats based on her hands.

Reaction Score
i finally realized today why Gabby always has the black tape on her left shoulder. I always wondered what purpose is it served and after watching some UCONN practice videos on the Geno A show, I see she has a tattoo there...
What I have been wondering lately, is why she wears such a harsh contrasting color. They do make that KT tape in many colors. Why the jet black? Why not something that compliments her skin color a little more closely? Just say'n.

Reaction Score
What I have been wondering lately, is why she wears such a harsh contrasting color. They do make that KT tape in many colors. Why the jet black? Why not something that compliments her skin color a little more closely? Just say'n.

As a guess, it might be intentional. "I respect the rules, but I'm not ashamed of my tat. No need to be subtle with the tape."

Reaction Score
I don't think Saniya is forced to cover the one on her arm/wrist area. Geno basically said he didn't care, so it must be a CD thing.

Reaction Score
saniya.jpg
I don't think Saniya is forced to cover the one on her arm/wrist area. Geno basically said he didn't care, so it must be a CD thing.
I went thru how many pictures and I can't find any evidence of a tattoo on Saniya......

I did find this .... and if that is a tattoo on her left wrist then she does cover it .....

apparently the only time CD asks them to cover the tattoos is for games ..... so I suspect it is a university/team image thing (like wearing a suit for a job interview) and I would consider that consistent with no names on the game uniforms.

And beyond that not really suitable for discussion or speculation....

Reaction Score
Young folks make lots of ill-considered decisions. Let's hear it for Dr. Tattoff!

Reaction Score
I'm probably gonna' get crucified for this one, but I believe Geno is very cautious about recruiting any player who is loaded with tats. I believe that speaks volumes about that recruit, and none of it positive in a UConn women sort of way.

Reaction Score
Between Geno & CD they really clamp down on ANYTHING that brings attention to a player that isn't BB related!
As mentioned no names on jersey backs.
No Tweets or media during season.
No nail polish.
No visible tattoos. Sue Bird & DT had Tats on their ankles covered by socks!
Dressed up in warmups or school stuff or nice clothes while out say at a mall.
No fancy weird headband just plain squeezy? .
Respectful to fans or reporters, etc.
Geno & CD are among the few coaches that recruit the total package not just a BB player!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm probably gonna' get crucified for this one, but I believe Geno is very cautious about recruiting any player who is loaded with tats. I believe that speaks volumes about that recruit, and none of it positive in a UConn women sort of way.
Not sure whether he does or not, but there haven't been any. So...maybe?

Maybe it speaks volumes or maybe their budget for tape won't allow???

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Young folks make lots of ill-considered decisions. Let's hear it for Dr. Tattoff!
I doubt many of the UCONN players do. I imagine, like Chong, they think quite a bit about them.

Reaction Score
Jet black is the coolest color.
I don't have a problem with black, I like black. I have a lot of black stuff. I even have black duct tape (used it just yesterday). But isn't the purpose of the tape to cover up to blend in with the look of the rest of the team and not to visually stand out from the rest of the team? At least that was the assumption that my "wondering" was based on. If not, then she should consider going with hot pink, baby blue, or some other even-cooler-yet color. ;)

But, I'm guessing that any shade of orange or gold is probably out of the question. :D

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with black, I like black. I have a lot of black stuff. I even have black duct tape (used it just yesterday).
So basically you're a racist. :rolleyes:

If not, then she should consider going with hot pink, baby blue, or some other even-cooler-yet color. ;)
Ha, cooler than black. Please. :cool:

8114c6f492014a4a9064def7da935bd2.jpg

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
View attachment 11691
I went thru how many pictures and I can't find any evidence of a tattoo on Saniya.

I did find this .... and if that is a tattoo on her left wrist then she does cover it .....

apparently the only time CD asks them to cover the tattoos is for games ..... so I suspect it is a university/team image thing (like wearing a suit for a job interview) and I would consider that consistent with no names on the game uniforms.

And beyond that not really suitable for discussion or speculation....

Saniya's (small) tattoo is in memory of her brother, and yes she does cover it for games.

LINK

Reaction Score
Saniya's (small) tattoo is in memory of her brother, and yes she does cover it for games.

LINK
Saniya and her brother must have a very warm, touching relationship... so beautiful
“Since my tattoo is there I always see it. It is not like I am not thinking about it, every time I see the tattoo or see it that always reminds me of him, I always think about it. I see it every day so it is always like a remembrance right there. He is always there cheering me on, every time I (see) the tattoo he is always there everywhere I go.”

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
i finally realized today why Gabby always has the black tape on her left shoulder. I always wondered what purpose is it served and after watching some UCONN practice videos on the Geno A show, I see she has a tattoo there.

So who do you think made the rule that tats can not be visible on a player? I think that's also why Courtney Williams from USF wears the long sleeved rash guard under her jersey. She seems to have a lot of tats based on her hands.

I think its up to the discretion of the head coach. I've seen some players with lots of tattoos. Remember Britney Hrinko of DePaul? She had/has tats on both arms and both legs (google her and you'll see what I mean). It would seem that Doug Bruno did/does not have a problem with a player's tats showing. If she had played at UConn, she would have taken the floor looking like a mummy. :eek:

If you ever wondered why Brittany Griner always wore a long sleeved tee-shirt under her Baylor game jersey, that's why. We can only guess that Head coach Kim Mulkey had a problem with her displaying her "body art". Her numerous and colorful tats are now visible as she plays in the WNBA.

It is widely known that Geno/CD disdain tattoos on their girls, and will not allow them to be seen while in uniform during games. I wonder if this fact has kept some potential recruits from coming to Storrs. :oops:

Last edited:

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Saniya and her brother must have a very warm, touching relationship... so beautiful
“Since my tattoo is there I always see it. It is not like I am not thinking about it, every time I see the tattoo or see it that always reminds me of him, I always think about it. I see it every day so it is always like a remembrance right there. He is always there cheering me on, every time I (see) the tattoo he is always there everywhere I go.”

It is very sad that she lost her brother at such a young age. She is the only one Geno exempts from covering tattoos.

Reaction Score
It is widely known that Geno/CD disdain tattoos on their girls, and will not allow them to be seen while in uniform during games. I wonder if this fact has kept some potential recruits from coming to Storrs. :oops:

I gotta believe that either UConn passed on some potential recruits or some recruits didn't want to hide their body art and chose to go somewhere else. In any event it doesn't seem to have prevented UConn from putting together some decent teams. ;)

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
The more outstanding it is, the better. It will show future recruits that Uconn has rules AND standards , and they will be enforced. If you don't respect that, choose another school. I think it has been quite effective over the years.

Reaction Score
During her entire four years, Shea Ralph had a "sore ankle" that required taping for
every game. No tape now though, so I guess it doesn't apply to coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom