FYI - A bunch of smoke over at the Oklahoma CR Board | Page 4 | The Boneyard

FYI - A bunch of smoke over at the Oklahoma CR Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Will the talking heads on ESPN weigh in this A.M. Dari Nokah is an OU alum & Mel Kiper is a college football junkie-know-it-all. Will they discuss the smoke on the horizon or will the mothership keep them muzzled?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
There is simply no way on earth the Big10 takes OK and OKST. No way.
WHY?
If the B1G was serious about getting New York exposure / New England exposure they would have taken us over Rutgers. We draw less than 15,000 a game for football and that's the only thing that matters. Oklahoma State and Oklahoma, albeit in much smaller markets will win out with football.

Reaction Score
If the B1G was serious about getting New York exposure / New England exposure they would have taken us over Rutgers. We draw less than 15,000 a game for football and that's the only thing that matters. Oklahoma State and Oklahoma, albeit in much smaller markets will win out with football.
At this point the SEC pretty much only cares about football, but the BIG cares about many different aspects of what a school brings. The SEC possibly could take both because it would enhance football, but the BIG wouldn't because football is only part of their criteria.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Rutgers and UConn equally bring market exposure, Rutgers just comes with better recruiting and 500 million a year in federal research grants.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
At this point the SEC pretty much only cares about football, but the BIG cares about many different aspects of what a school brings. The SEC possibly could take both because it would enhance football, but the BIG wouldn't because football is only part of their criteria.
Money talks.

Reaction Score
Money talks.
Exactly. The market size is where most of the money comes from for the big10 due to how their conference network is set up. Hence Maryland and Rutgers getting invited. That is why adding two schools from the same state makes no sense

Reaction Score
Connecticut with 3.6M residents has a really high percentage of residents that follow UConn. Nebraska likely leads this category, but data suggests that as many as 35%-40% of Connecticut residents follow UConn. That's 1.4M viewers. Rutgers comes from a state with nearly 9M residents, but I would be surprised if more than 5% of its residents follow them. That's 450K fans. Even at 10% it's 900K. Of course, NJ has a greater number B1G alumni; (although CT does OK here), recruiting, research and AAU, and that whole carriage thing (which is somewhat fan agnostic), so it's not a surprise that Rutgers got an invite. In the end, and without bringing up Boston/New England/New York, Connecticut adds value to a conference that has its own network.

Reaction Score
You're extremely uneducated about this subject.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
OU yes. OSU no way. The only way the B1G would take OSU would be because all avenues to get OU on its own were completely and thoroughly exhausted. OSU academics are absolutely horrendous and would not fit in whatsoever with B1G schools. I can potentially see a lax in the AAU requirement to add the right school. But there is no way in hell that I can see the B1G giving a lax in the "good academic" requirement, like the ACC did when they invited LCC.

The Oklahoma to the Big Ten stuff seems like wishful thinking.

1) Small state/market.
2) Politically encumbered by OSU.
3) Dreadful academics.
4) GOR
5) It's not east.

I don't see it - Oklahoma's not Nebraska.

Reaction Score
The earth will shake if B1G takes both OU and OSU. A bundle with Texas however has many possibilities, but not with OSU or KSU.

pj

Reaction Score
The Oklahoma to the Big Ten stuff seems like wishful thinking.

1) Small state/market.
2) Politically encumbered by OSU.
3) Dreadful academics.
4) GOR
5) It's not east.

I don't see it - Oklahoma's not Nebraska.

Oklahoma's better than Nebraska ... but I agree, I think the B1G would take Kansas & UConn and let Oklahoma go elsewhere.

Reaction Score
If the Big Ten is unable to lure UVA or UNC, especially amid the talk of the potential demise of the B12, and the goal is to go to 18, it's possible you could see Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas in the West and UConn in the East. That would be a formidable conference by any metric. I do find it unlikely that the B1G doubles up on a team from a single state. With Texas A&M firmly planted in the SEC that includes Texas.

Reaction Score
If the Big Ten is unable to lure UVA or UNC...
Well, with all the talk about VIPs jetting in and out of Oklahoma a couple of days ago, I thought I'd check out flightaware just for kicks and giggles. Two days ago UIUC-Willard Airport (Champaign/Urbana/Savoy, IL) KCMI / CMI received a direct twin jet executive flight from Charlotteville-Albermarle Airport (CHO) [UVA]. Also, there is a Dassault Falcon 20 departing CMI tonight for Raleigh-Durham Intl (KRDU).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Connecticut with 3.6M residents has a really high percentage of residents that follow UConn. Nebraska likely leads this category, but data suggests that as many as 35%-40% of Connecticut residents follow UConn. That's 1.4M viewers. Rutgers comes from a state with nearly 9M residents, but I would be surprised if more than 5% of its residents follow them. That's 450K fans. Even at 10% it's 900K. Of course, NJ has a greater number B1G alumni; (although CT does OK here), recruiting, research and AAU, and that whole carriage thing (which is somewhat fan agnostic), so it's not a surprise that Rutgers got an invite. In the end, and without bringing up Boston/New England/New York, Connecticut adds value to a conference that has its own network.
I think analysis the for last go round was carriage fees. If so viewership is irrelevant. The metric is households with cable so RU was a better choice. The next way to monetize a conference is via advertiser revenue. UConn viewership percentages (ratings) has more value under that model as does Connecticut being relatively affluent.

Reaction Score
Oklahoma's better than Nebraska ... but I agree, I think the B1G would take Kansas & UConn and let Oklahoma go elsewhere.
I'm not so sure FB wise but Nebbie though lower populated as a state seems more culturally attuned than Okie and has a slightly higher academics image IMO. Nebraska fans love the B1G association but Okies fan favor the SEC at least 2 to 1 in my forays onto LT's... on Okies CR board but Boren and the admins lean heavily to the B1G.

pj

Reaction Score
The state of Oklahoma would do well to try to get OU into the B1G and OSU into the SEC ... even if that means OSU gets better at football, they should have one school focused on academics. Positioning Oklahoma as half-north half-south as Kansas is now positioned would aslo have economic and cultural benefits, most likely. That would also maximize revenue into the state, as SEC and B1G have the biggest payouts but neither will double up.

GG

Reaction Score
Some discussion from the Texas board (shaggy ego.com) about potential expansion candidates

hiphopfroggy

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Tom
I don't hate the idea of UConn itself seeing as how it's a state flagship and one of the more prestigious basketball schools in the country (even though they have always and always will suck at football.) But they're another island off all by themselves, just like West Virginia. Just based on their geography alone they will never be in the Big 12. We don't want to be CUSA or the Big East/AAC with random schools spread out all over the country. That is bush league conference organization.

Its actually pretty similar to other conference travel with the addition of Cincinnati and a north south division. Travel would actually improve for the south division. UCONN cincy and wv are all pretty close as are IAst and the Kansas schools. The new additions obviously would agree to get in. WVU would agree based on what their ad has said. IAst has said the best scenario for them is to add two teams and get a break from the OK TX schools so they can win some games and make a bowl game. The south would be one of the best divisions in college football. That leaves the kansas schools but I think they get on board as Kansas UCONN would be primetime must see basketball. Other conferences have tuscon to seattle, miami to boston, college station to gainsville and nebraska to new jersey and maryland. The only reason the Big 12 doesn't have more travel problems is because it doesn't have enough teams to have travel problems. Which don't seem to be problems for other conferences but more of a sign of robust health, stability and upward trajectory.
Last edited by hiphopfroggy; Yesterday at 02:51 PM.

$#@! geography. We have these things called airplanes now. BYU and UConn are the only available programs worth a $#@!.

CL82

Reaction Score
I like that board. They have nearly 900 pages of CR and check out the post count designations (where we list used member and popular poster, etc.

Next post in that series:

~TheJoker~
dipshit

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete's Mustache
$#@! geography. We have these things called airplanes now. BYU and UConn are the only available programs worth a $#@!.

Syracuse and Boston College are already having $$ issues with the stipend, James Franklin was quoted in an article to expect that number of schools to increase. The Notre Dame deal allows the Irsh to pick off their bowls, and not share money if they land in the playoff bowls. They make less in TV revenue than KU and Iowa State for football.... Let that sink in. They sold their schools on an ACC network, well... Raycom already owns their tier 3 rights. Figure that one out. The ACC was, and still is the weakest link of the power 5.

Reactions: pj

pj

Reaction Score
I like that board. They have nearly 900 pages of CR and check out the post count designations (where we list used member and popular poster, etc.

Next post in that series:

~TheJoker~
dip

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete's Mustache

Syracuse and Boston College are already having $$ issues with the stipend, James Franklin was quoted in an article to expect that number of schools to increase. The Notre Dame deal allows the Irsh to pick off their bowls, and not share money if they land in the playoff bowls. They make less in TV revenue than KU and Iowa State for football.... Let that sink in. They sold their schools on an ACC network, well... Raycom already owns their tier 3 rights. Figure that one out. The ACC was, and still is the weakest link of the power 5.

The B12 revenue advantage won't last beyond 2025. The ACC is solid until 2025 due to the GoR. So by the time ACC schools are making decisions, the B12 will be the wounded duck conference.

The financial costs of stipends don't really change much ... they just mean that the elevated TV money will be going to the players, not the schools. The ACC still has the same relative position it had 10 years ago, and BC and Syracuse will still be happy to be there.

CL82

Reaction Score
I don't know PJ. The P5 was essentially the P6 with the Big East. At one point, any of the Big East, the ACC or the Big 12 could have folded. It ended up being us. I don't see that consolidation process ending. One of the ACC and the Big 12 will be raided severely wounding it.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Well, with all the talk about VIPs jetting in and out of Oklahoma a couple of days ago, I thought I'd check out flightaware just for kicks and giggles. Two days ago UIUC-Willard Airport (Champaign/Urbana/Savoy, IL) KCMI / CMI received a direct twin jet executive flight from Charlotteville-Albermarle Airport (CHO) [UVA]. Also, there is a Dassault Falcon 20 departing CMI tonight for Raleigh-Durham Intl (KRDU).

Any movement detected from Herbst's tricked out triple 7?

pj

Reaction Score
I don't know PJ. The P5 was essentially the P6 with the Big East. At one point, any of the Big East, the ACC or the Big 12 could have folded. It ended up being us. I don't see that consolidation process ending. One of the ACC and the Big 12 will be raided severely wounding it.

Yes ... Just seems like there's a lot more dissension in the B12. They've lost Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, and A&M ... no one has left the ACC. See Boren's critique of LHN. The top 3 B12 programs have to be tempted to follow the others who have left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom