Future of CFB bowl system | The Boneyard

Future of CFB bowl system

Reaction Score
This bowl season has shown that the structure that has been around for many, many years, is no longer viable. With many players now entering the portal right after the regular season is over, or opting out of playing in a bowl to prevent injury before the NFL draft/free agency season, the teams playing are not recognizable to the lay fan and ratings have plummeted. No viewers = no ad dollars = no more games, or at least a reduction in games. Is that where we are going?

Reaction Score
This bowl season has shown that the structure that has been around for many, many years, is no longer viable. With many players now entering the portal right after the regular season is over, or opting out of playing in a bowl to prevent injury before the NFL draft/free agency season, the teams playing are not recognizable to the lay fan and ratings have plummeted. No viewers = no ad dollars = no more games, or at least a reduction in games. Is that where we are going?
Yes. And when that happens, the tournament will start looking like the hoops tournament, with a higher percentage of schools being eligible (although that might come in part from shrinking the top division and thus eligible teams rather than expanding places).

Reaction Score
Yes. And when that happens, the tournament will start looking like the hoops tournament, with a higher percentage of schools being eligible (although that might come in part from shrinking the top division and thus eligible teams rather than expanding places).
Yup.

Up to today, I had a few bowl games on in the background, but never really paid attention. I will have CFB this afternoon, but again more for background while I do other stuff. I will sit down and focus on the semi-finals tonight. Only three games interest me this bowl season. Only seven will next year.

Reaction Score
Actually, I'm interested in seeing how the G5 representative does against a big boy. Probably the first time I have ever rooted for Liberty.

Reaction Score
Actually, I'm interested in seeing how the G5 representative does against a big boy. Probably the first time I have ever rooted for Liberty.
Nice opening drive by the Flames.

Back to the topic: I will always be rooting for the G5 rep moving forward in the expanded CFP. Cinderella and all of that.

Reaction Score
I have it all figured out. Go with this model 2023-24 25 team CFP playoff simulation

I would be inclined to having, 16 teams out side the top 25, to make an even number, they all have their tournament and the winner of that tournament plays the 25th ranked team in order to get into the 25 team field.

Reaction Score
The first round (mostly mismatches) of the NCAA Basketball Tournament is heavily watched. It worth it because the upset alerts that often don't pan out but whet your appetite.

A 16 team football playoff would give us eight games, really opening the door for surprises, and even if they don't pan out, some of the halftime scores should enhance interest. The story lines will increase by a lot.

Reaction Score
10 game regular season. Should be a 32 team playoff structured like FCS.

Reaction Score
They did not do well.

Awkward Jay Z GIF by Complex

Reaction Score
Said this over in the realignment thread. Playoffs have diminished other bowl games. No value to the top players. Networks will want more high level content. Playoffs will have to expand to drive player participation and viewership.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

If you are the Director of Marketing at any of the current bowl sponsors, how do you go to your boss and recommend renewing a bowl sponsorship? You would look like an idiot.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Some see what is happening to bowl games, but they are needed for schools like UConn. Otherwise, the chances of going to the playoffs are slim, and these schools need something to play for.

Reaction Score
If the TV money from the bowls is enough - they can pay the players to play. But if people keep watching - even if the key players sit - the math still works. So doesn't matter what we think.

Reaction Score
Some see what is happening to bowl games, but they are needed for schools like UConn. Otherwise, the chances of going to the playoffs are slim, and these schools need something to play for.
Could play for a league championship and maybe a spot as the "not big boy" representative in the CFP. Kinda like Ivy League basketball. That'd be enough for me.

Reaction Score

As the playoffs expand bowls will become more worthless than the third place game at the World Cup.

Reaction Score
This is easy as pie.

Look at NCAA basketball. Even with a 68 team field, there are still two other tournaments that draw teams.

College football can go to a 16 team tourney. Play the quarters at Christmas, the semis at New Years, and the final the first week in January. Basically, the way it is now.

The non-tourney teams can play their bowl games before the tourney, all though December up to Christmas. So you have a regular season, a bowl season and a tournament season.

And don't tell me that will make the bowls meaningless. Most of them are meaningless NOW!!!! The bowls are a reward for a winning season and a reward for the alumni. There are enough cities and sponsors that want to be part of college football to fund dozens of bowls.

Reaction Score
But have to be financially viable. Will bowls that only friends/family will watch on TV make enough money to be worth it for broadcasters/narrowcasters to produce?

Reaction Score
But have to be financially viable. Will bowls that only friends/family will watch on TV make enough money to be worth it for broadcasters/narrowcasters to produce?

Just because stands are empty doesn’t mean the ratings are bad. The Pop Tarts bowl had like 4M viewers.

Reaction Score
Just look at the existing bowls that are currently supported without having big name national teams. Almost all have TV deals.

Reaction Score
The playoff system will make bowls even more attractive as you will have more important bowls than you have now as you go from 2 playoff bowl games to 6. The rest of the bowls will be about as attractive as they have been as they are good rewards for teams. Going forward, the CFP will include the Fiesta, Peach, Rose, Sugar, Cotton, and Orange Bowls plus the championship game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom