Fudd is down to UCLA and UConn | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Fudd is down to UCLA and UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Cori Close has built a perennial top-20 program at UCLA, and there is no doubt that the campus layout and West Coast location is a real attraction to many HS recruits. But as I go back and review the destination for each of ESPN’s top rated HS seniors over the past 15 years, there are only 5 schools represented, 4 of which are perennial top-5 teams. UConn leads the pack by far with 8 #1 players (Tina, EDD, KML, Stewie, Lou, Megan, Christyn & Paige). Next in line are Stanford, Baylor & SC. The one outlier is Mercedes Russell at TN in 2013, although even here, TN was still considered by many as a perennial national power, although they had started to experience a steady decline at that time.

What this all means relative to Azzi’s decision is difficult to understand. If she chooses UCLA, she will certainly be bucking a long-standing trend in WBB, and perhaps trying to do for UCLA what A’ja Wilson did for SC.

In a little over a month we’ll all know. The good news is that it will be much easier for Azzi to trot a Husky out during her announcement ceremony than a bruin. :cool:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
UCLA is a beautiful campus. I have to say though UConn has its moments, especially in autumn.

View attachment 59361

If you're driving into campus on North Eagleville, there is a point in autumn when the leaves are the best shade of orangey/yellow and when the sun hits at just the right time of day, it's like a glistening, golden tunnel. The route was about ten minutes longer than my normal way in, but I never regretted taking the extra time.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UCLA=Red Herring.

Sounds reasonable. Why? UConn has her BFF beckoning her daily to join her In Storrs. You know they still talk everyday. Paige is consistently telling her about all the virtues of the school, players and coaches, not to mention her own personal experiences. Didn’t Paige say that she learned a lot about the game her first week on campus? That alone should peak Azzi’s curiosity.

Seriously, Paige does not have to sell the program to Azzi. The program and its legacy sells itself.

The last two ROY in the WNBA are from????

The two players that are leading the Seattle Storm to the WNBA championship this season are from?????

These facts are not lost on Azzi, she knows this. ;)

When you hear something long enough, and often enough, you start to believe it. Who is as close (no pun intended) to her as Paige that’s beckoning her to Westwood? :eek:

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I think if it is true that Fudd is down to UConn and UCLA, I can't see her choosing UConn. There must be a very strong pull coming from UCLA that has them included in the final two. It won't bother me so much if she chooses UCLA. I'm just glad she did not have ND, Maryland, or Stanford in her final two. oldude, she could do for UCLA what Wilson did for SC and what Sabrina did for Oregon. I hope she leaves that for some other player to do. UCLA is the right choice if she is thinking about playing time and being the biggest star but, UConn would be the best choice if she wants to experience team play. Of course, that is in addition to the academic and social aspects she desires.

Carnac

Reaction Score
UCLA is an interesting program. They were 26-5 in the tough PAC 12 last year.

No ESPN top 100 recruits for 2020 and only one for 2021, Darius, rated 26, a guard from New Jersey; BUT three very highly rated current freshman, 2020 recruits, from overseas. Potter and Antsey from Australia and Bessoir from Germany. Lots of size there, Bessoir and Antsey both listed at 6’4”.

Onyenwere is a Senior and their best player, so she will be gone. Charisma Osborne is a good player at guard and will be a Sophomore this year.

So she would be a big fish, obviously anywhere she goes, but the pond at UCLA is potentially not all that small. There looks to be some talent to take the floor with.

I think that UConn should be the clear favorite. Paige, Geno, Championship banners. Two straight WNBA rookies of the year. Stewie and Bird. Lots, lots more. But who knows how young minds work and what ultimately sways them one way or the other.

I guess we will find out soon. Hopefully at least. Fingers crossed.
Huskie I just said the same thing you did before reading your post. ;)

Carnac

Reaction Score
I live in Los Angeles, and I can tell you without a doubt, GO TO UCONN!! ;)

All joking aside, I'm a small town guy. LIved in San Diego for 25+ years before moving to LA, and SD is where I will retire to. LA is too big, too spread out, and flat out not nice enough. Sure there is Beverly Hills and Hollywood, Santa Monica and all the beach communities, etc., but those places are not affordable for me.

SD on the other hand, has everything I could ever want within about 10-15 minutes of my house there - downtown, the Zoo, Morley Field and dog park, lots of shops and restaurants, Mission Valley (the football stadium etc.,), movies, etc. etc...

I was born and raised in LA., and now reside in a suburb. I agree and second the sentiments Eric is expressing here.

Reaction Score
Well when you first responded with an emoji with a question mark and exclamation point it comes off as sort of mocking and petty. In general you seem to question recruits a lot if they don't pick the best team out there relative to their options, which is completely subjective and factors in more than just basketball which you fail to account for.

Regarding subjectivity and factors beyond basketball possibly influencing a recruit's decision, are you overlooking citywide crime problems and homeless living on the streets of Los Angeles versus bucolic Storrs?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
and the final choice for the WBB GOAT worked out pretty well, wouldn't ya say?
And you are under-selling it. They have a lot going for them. That place is beautiful the entire school year. But, it isn't the Capital of College Basketball.
Hasn't been for almost 40 years and it was the men's game that was the Capital of College Basketball.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I live in Los Angeles, and I can tell you without a doubt, GO TO UCONN!! ;)

All joking aside, I'm a small town guy. LIved in San Diego for 25+ years before moving to LA, and SD is where I will retire to. LA is too big, too spread out, and flat out not nice enough. Sure there is Beverly Hills and Hollywood, Santa Monica and all the beach communities, etc., but those places are not affordable for me.

SD on the other hand, has everything I could ever want within about 10-15 minutes of my house there - downtown, the Zoo, Morley Field and dog park, lots of shops and restaurants, Mission Valley (the football stadium etc.,), movies, etc. etc...
You're always welcome in San Diego, @EricLA. C'mon down. You, @CTtoSanDiego and I will schmooze and keep an eye on that Brady gal.

Reaction Score
Who knows what Azzi's thinking is on choice of school. If it is the best place to hone her bball skills and make a career of bball, UConn has more than a little edge. If it is a preference for warm weather, UCLA has the big edge. Growing up in DC, Azzi is used to cold, rainy days and four real seasons, so Connecticut weather is something she is used to. Connecticut is really a charming place, with lovely summers and falls, small towns with village greens and colonial buildings, and snow in the winter, which has its charms. If the big city calls, NYC and Boston are easy to get to and a damn sight more interesting than LA. Or head to the Cape or the mountains of MA or VT. Depending on your taste, CT has as much or more to offer than LA. Besides, student athletes are very busy and don't have all that much free time anyway.

Reaction Score

This is probably one of the main reasons Fudd is interested in UCLA, she could change her number to 30 and be like the female Steph Curry. But I see only about 4 people posted about it on there message board, either they don’t believe they have a chance or Women’s basketball just isn’t that big of a deal in WestWood.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

This is probably one of the main reasons Fudd is interested in UCLA, she could change her number to 30 and be like the female Steph Curry. But I see only about 4 people posted about it on there message board, either they don’t believe they have a chance or Women’s basketball just isn’t that big of a deal in WestWood.

Interesting possibility suggested there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom