FSU Postgame Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

FSU Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Everyone thinks Nika is our defense but it's really team defense ....right? Without the team defense even individual stops are reduced. Nika has had maybe 1 steal in the last 3 games but few others are stepping up defensively as well. We miss Azzi in that regard as well as her knock down shooting percentage plus good shot volume.

AE is team MVP at this point in the year though. She has really improved her game.

Lou is consistently good, as Geno maintained even before the season started. She's a rock.

We don't see players diving all over the place any more for loose balls. Do you think no one wants to get hurt at this point?

I think Florida State is an emerging top 20 team but they are still young. To have the game so close, away from home for them, indicates we are not a top team right now. We are ranked about right. We still have 3-4 players you can pretty much dare to shoot from outside. Azzi and/or Paige would solve that problem. We need both Azzi and Aubrey though to have any chance of winning it all. They both are better defensively than other options.

We need to use our depth more. Our players get tired in the 2nd half with good reason.

Reaction Score
Even though only FSU players fouled out, it seemed that we were the team in foul trouble and we played that way on defense. Especially late in the 2nd quarter and the whole 2nd half our defense seemed a little less intense.
I could be mistaken, but this is the first time that I can remember the starters not starting the second half. Caroline started the second half instead of Aubrey due to Aubrey being in foul trouble.
It was a good win, we allowed a great comeback in the 2nd half but didn't fold under pressure. Except maybe when Dave O'Brian jinxed our FTs late in the 4th quarter.
Another game where watching @MJL243 's replay tomorrow isn't going to be as much fun as I had hoped it would be but it is a win, so...
Not only did Dave O'brien jinx our free throws. He also jinxed the point spread & my wager.
UCONN was favored by 10 & those 3 missed foul shots resulted in an 8 point final. I was begging UCONN to take a shot in the last 30 seconds, but sportsmanship prevailed. :(

Reaction Score
Actually I think the FSU player had a lane violation on all four free throws. AE made the first free throw, then lane violations were called on the next two because the shooter missed the free throw. On the 4th shot AE didn't miss it so it's not a lane violation.
Yep @MSGRET I didn't notice it on other foul shots, but that one FSU player moved her left leg into the lane and back to block the UCONN player next to her from getting a good approach in event of a miss. So, Yep...lane violation on all 4 of Aaliyah's shots that trip...but only 2 were called because she made the 1st and 4th.

Reaction Score
We have to solve the turnover issue against physical teams. It's a recipe for disaster. Princeton took 21 more shots than us, Maryland 13 more, FSU 4 more. Several of our turnovers were unforced today, just really bad passes that had no chance, the receiver of the pass not going to meet it strongly, and not grabbing and holding the ball. Everybody tries to muscle us so we have to have a strategy once that happens.

Dorka adds a lot underneath, but she has to learn to use the side appropriate hand on drives and shots under the basket. If you go up on the left side of the basket with your right hand you are showing the ball and allowing a clean block. If it's the other hand, away from the defender, it will be a foul.

CD is still not back yet. She was open a few times and did not get the ball though. I think it will come for her but the process is a lot slower than many of us thought. I think we have to limit expectations for her to only a moderate improvement at best from here on in. She is clearly still thinking too much out there and just needs to play.

As a whole I thought this toughest OOC schedule in the country which is now over except for Tennessee and SC is difficult to embrace as a true positive. The long term effects are invisible to a large extent now and will probably be so even come March. I don't really worry about losses per se but rather how we played and what happened. Being #9 is probably not a problem now but it may make it that much harder to make it back to the top 4.

The injuries to Nika, Dorka and Azzi were against physical teams on physical plays. The chop/slash on Dorka's hand, the intentional push of Aaliyah causing her to fall into Azzi, and the head injury to Nika were all physical plays in out of conference games. I'm not making a cause/effect argument that they would have not happened with an easier schedule, I'm just asking what did the schedule really get us as we now have the benefit of hindsight? Play an easier game on a Friday, then fly out on Saturday and play an away game on Sunday against a ranked team in a hostile environment two weeks in a row, and lose twice. Does that experience really help in March? I don't know. I just know that I'm glad that conference play is starting now. It's not the AAC it's the Big East and will be a lot tougher for the most part in and of itself.

I fully expect us to be a great team come March but these first two months with injuries ( I'm not counting Paige and Ice here) did not allow us to meld into the tight team we should be right now with all of our pistons firing. Of course, Geno is a magician. He proved that conclusively last year (as if he needed to) so I'm not concerned for the Big Dance but these interruptions and setbacks make everything more difficult.

Reaction Score
Nika had a great game, playing 40 minutes, but those 2 dead-ball inbounds fouls could have been disasterous. She need to be smarter.

Reaction Score
Just to remind everyone, Caroline had 9pts and 7 rebounds (and 3 TOs) -- she was a contributor for 31 mins.
I am a HUGE Caroline fan and have patiently for her to get going. She might not be scoring 20 25 points in a game like last year, but she still contributes in an important way for the team. Maybe nobody will know how much the concussions she suffered hurt her. I believe she is trying very hard to help the team but is probably frustrated that she is not doing more. CAROLINE still has a brilliant future in front of her. She just needs a little more time, and I believe she will be the CAROLINE she was last year. GO CAROLINE!!! GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
I'm late to this party, but a couple of observations.

Calling the fouls as closely as these refs did really disrupts the game. It seems to me they were even-handed in their overzealousness,, with neither team having an advantage.

FSU is a well-coached, scrappy team that will be one to contend with by the end of the year. You have to admire the way they came back after getting killed in the first quarter.

UConn's players have a really disturbing tendency to lose their minds for periods of time, like the third period. It seemed that everyone was throwing easy-to-anticipate passes for a while, and FSU took advantage. Nika says it was her responsibility (and maybe, as floor leader, it was), but there were bad passes all around. Aaliyah continues to be the foundation on which the team can build its offense.

I thought Dorka had a really strong game. She played with emotion, and those blocks were wonderful. Lou continues to impress, and with Azzi out, is there anyone else you'd want at the free throw line at crunch time? Ayanna did not have one of her better games.,

Reaction Score
Yes, agree completely. FSU realized that after the second quarter every drive that had body contact of any kind was going to be a foul regardless of who initiated the contact. So that's what they did. Drives into contact and 3s. Since most of the drives sent them to the free throw line, and since they starting hitting their 3s in the second half, the game tightened. We did not adjust well to the way the game was being called.
Put your head down, charge like a bull into the middle of the lane, run into a defensive player who automatically (99% of the time) gets called for a foul. Then because of these calls. a defensive player must back off so not to get called again.

Reaction Score
The TOs and Steals Big problem. A couple of things. Picking up our dribble. Getting caught in double teams. and forcing passes. The first half we were moving and great passing. Second half FLST seemed to take Edwards out of the game by fouling her. Thus two FLST players fouled out.
While I am as frustrated as anyone with the turnovers, don't view this as a long term issue. When Azzi comes back, other teams will be focused on her and unlikely to double the ball. Also feel that some of the standing around issues the past few games will be eliminated since we will have more shooters in motion.

Reaction Score
This team needs to play perimeter defense and stop giving up wide open 3 point shots all game. Another thing when they get back on defense after a made basket the whole team gets caught up under the basket and no one is defending the 3 point shot. Doesn't the coaching staff notice these things?? Most of Florida's 3 point shots where wide open.
Didn’t you notice that UConn played a lot of zone in the second half? Threes happen against even the best zone defenses.

Reaction Score
Put your head down, charge like a bull into the middle of the lane, run into a defensive player who automatically (99% of the time) gets called for a foul. Then because of these calls. a defensive player must back off so not to get called again.
Exactly what happened today. That's how you get open for a 3, especially when your defender has foul trouble.

Reaction Score
I am a HUGE Caroline fan and have patiently for her to get going. She might not be scoring 20 25 points in a game like last year, but she still contributes in an important way for the team. Maybe nobody will know how much the concussions she suffered hurt her. I believe she is trying very hard to help the team but is probably frustrated that she is not doing more. CAROLINE still has a brilliant future in front of her. She just needs a little more time, and I believe she will be the CAROLINE she was last year. GO CAROLINE!!! GO HUSKIES!!!
I agree, Next 12, and would like to point out a big difference for Caroline between this year and last... when she went off as she did for that 12-game stretch during the '21-22 season, she was the Huskies' best reasonable scoring alternative, likely sparking vibes she'd felt as the go-to player during her prep days and firing up her confidence.

This season, when she's on the court with Aaliyah and Lou, she's at best the third option (occasionally fourth or fifth with Dorka back and when Aubrey is having one of her good games), and likely feels the team doesn't need her scoring as much. Even at that, for the past six games she's scored nine points per game, averaged nearly six rebounds and played good D. An awful lot of teams would like that production from its fourth or fifth option, even with the TOs (that seem to be a problem across the board for UConn). Huskies fans should be pleased with it, too. Different season, different set of teammates doing different things for the Huskies...

By the way, for today's 30-minute effort, Caroline was +14, bettering Aaliyah's +11 for the best on the team. +/- isn't the end all/be all, but it does tell something about how well the team played when she was on the court.

For those in the BY who mutter stuff like 'Caroline brings nothing to the team,' open your eyes and watch the games. On this team, it's unlikely Caroline will be an 18- or 20-points per game scorer. That's okay.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Actually I think the FSU player had a lane violation on all four free throws. AE made the first free throw, then lane violations were called on the next two because the shooter missed the free throw. On the 4th shot AE didn't miss it so it's not a lane violation.
True, except that it was Dorka shooting

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I was at the game, with a good seat fairly close to the court where UConn was shooting in the first half. I love that venue.

There was a skeleton crew for the UConn band, four tubas and not much else. The National Anthem was sung by a woman named Aaliyah, nice job, looked her up and found that she died in 2001. So I will have to check that out further. Rizzotti was courtside, and a flashy young woman in pink sitting near her was Dijonai Carrington of the Sun, formerly Baylor, I think. Hopefully she has gotten over that non-call.

It seemed to come very easy in the first half, open look after open look especially on the interior. It just seemed to be clicking. In part it was because Florida State was missing their threes and their mad dashes to the basket were coming up empty. We were controlling the boards and able to get out in the open court where we tend to flourish.

I think Nika had nine assists in the first half and I got a close up view of how she does do an amazing job through slight movements, perfect timing, accuracy, and touch, of subtly "setting up the chessboard" so that the player gets the ball in perfect position to score.

She lost her cool though, twice, in the first half. Once, after being fouled by one of the interchangeable and pesky FSU guards, she threw an elbow that was reviewed. I was shocked that nothing was called, I was hoping at best for a Flagrant One. Maybe she got lucky and the elbow did not land, I couldn`t tell from being there. A second time was when she picked up her second foul, trying to run over someone setting a pick. Reminded me of Geno`s comment about how she hit someone because she hadn`t done so in a while.

First time I have ever seen a lane violation twice in a row. Nice that Dorka got some free throw practice in a game situation.

In the second half FSA was making more of their threes (I was surprised to see they were only 8 for 29 overall) and getting to the line more, and as a result we were not getting out on transition. The half court offense struggled in the second half. It seemed stagnant. We controlled the pace in the first half, FSU did in the second half. Aaliyah and Lou made some critical plays, largely on individual effort. We did play some zone at times in the second half and I think that was largely effective - took away some of their driving ability and helped keep our fouls down.

Latson is very talented and fortunately she fouled out with plenty of time left in the fourth. Lou really got clobbered taking the charge on the fifth foul, great job on her part to stand in there and I think she had four fouls herself. On that score, all of our players in foul trouble were able to stay on the floor while two key pieces for FSU fouled out.

I have seen all of our home games (Texas, NC State, Princeton) and I think FSU was as tough an opponent as any of them. They are certainly the quickest team we have faced at home. Their offense is largely to shoot from three, or to have one of their guards take it north to south and try to make the shot or draw contact. It did not work in the first half, but it did in the second.

I was close to their offense in the second half and it seemed to me that FSU benefitted from the referees going from a let them play approach to the exact opposite. Hate when that happens. One ref in particular. There were numerous times where there was at most incidental contact that was created by FSU guards throwing themselves at the defender. How is that a foul on the defender? Having said that, I think Caroline in particular has to do a better job to avoid silly contact.

I have never seen a team get whacked in the face more than this team. We must have had UConn players on the floor holding their faces at least six times today. Fortunately, nothing that appeared serious.

So great first half, mediocre second half, but take the win and everyone emerged healthy. Great games from Aaliyah and Lou, very good Dorka, good Nika - we needed all four - and so so from everyone else. In fairness, Caroline did have her moments, especially a layup in traffic late. She is clearly a gifted offensive player, just a bit out of sinc at the moment.

I watched a little bit of Iowa State - Villanova. Villanova didn`t show me much, but Iowa State looked good. Soares is enormous.

Reaction Score
Agreed. However, she would have done the team far better if she didn't have 3 of her shots blocked.
I file this comment with the old saying,"Don't let perfect be the enemy of very good," Some could say Dorka could have scored more, Nika could have gotten more assists, etc. but both played well enough to win.

Reaction Score
... on the other hand, Bejedi's flagrant attempt to get an intentional foul on Nika deserved some official notice. The replays clearly showed that she aped being hit long after Nika had stepped away. Don't worry, I know the refs never call technicals on stuff like that. But the rule is on the books, and if they ever were to, this was a good case.
Announcers mentioned that technicals in Men's Basketball can be called for flopping, not on the women's side.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
As much as the board is frustrated with Caroline, the team offense just looked best to me with her on the floor. The return of Dorka is huge for Caroline, since Dorka and her seem to have great chemistry between the high post and cuts to the basket.
Yes, indeed. She moves on offense and forces a defender to follow her. She rebounded, too. People are looking at the points but she’s been doing a lot of dirty work - rebounding, setting screens, making the pass that leads to the assist… I thought she played well.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nika had a great game, playing 40 minutes, but those 2 dead-ball inbounds fouls could have been disasterous. She need to be smarter.
Nika missed a wide open Lou on the perimeter at least twice in the second half but I’m giving her a break. She played 40 minutes after missing a week+ due to injury. She gets a pass today

Reaction Score
Video review is killing sports in general. I'm of the mind that over the long haul any errors in officiating even out. Reviews should be limited to less than 30 seconds. That's enough time to see it replayed a few times and if it's inconclusive after staring at the thing for 30 seconds, then you carry on.

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
Nika said in the post game presser that Lou had a great game on defense. I agree! I give her a pass on the four fouls she had cause she was working really hard on defense. Oh, and she also scored 23 points. Well done Lou!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom