FSU/Clemson both have to be a little concerned about new additions to ACC | The Boneyard

FSU/Clemson both have to be a little concerned about new additions to ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I watched some SEC yesterday. Also Clemson game. You do see a distinct, measurable difference in both talent and game day experience. It is no wonder why some programs and conferences attract the highest talent levels. Add to that the emphasis that these programs place on the athlete part of the "student athlete" part of the equation, and you get a virtually semi-pro league down there.

That being said, FSU and Clemson, if they truly care about the long term prospects of their football programs, which we know that they do, have to be concerned about the addition of Syr and Pitt. And Uconn and RU. And perhaps even ND. The first 4 clearly represent a major dilution of the football product without much corresponding benefit. If a 5 star recruit is offered by FSU and Auburn, I think he picks the competition that Auburn offers over what FSU offers. Multiply that by 12: FL, GA, AL, TN, etc, etc., and this represents the gradual wearing down of the ability to attract the top recruits. If the SEC calls, one would have to believe that FSU and Clem would at least take a long, hard look. And it could call. I don't think the SEC sees WVA as a viable option to get to 14, 15, or 16.

Reaction Score
And the result of that could be beneficial to UConn, being a potential replacement candidate.

Reaction Score
We could be a candidate. I'm a little more energized about being in a reconstituted BE than in an ACC without FSU and Clemson, because that would essentially be a basketball league without much prospect of being a top football conference. I'm ok with that too, but it would be more exciting to be with some old and new B12 remnants/additions. Let's first see if all the B12 agree to sign agreement for 1st and 2nd tier rights. If they do, that conference stays together for awhile.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
We could be a candidate. I'm a little more energized about being in a reconstituted BE than in an ACC without FSU and Clemson, because that would essentially be a basketball league without much prospect of being a top football conference. I'm ok with that too, but it would be more exciting to be with some old and new B12 remnants/additions. Let's first see if all the B12 agree to sign agreement for 1st and 2nd tier rights. If they do, that conference stays together for awhile.
but you have to admit your scenario assumes WVU and L'ville stay in the BE. to be honest, i wouldn't care that much if FSU and Clemson left the ACC and UCONN was able to join what was left. that would probably mean RU would head over. if ND says no and Va Tech leaves too, that might mean they would take WVU even tho they have crappy academics. the football lure might be too much for them.

being in a big conference like the ACC, even if they don't have a great football conference (clearly they'd end up ahead of the reconstituted BE but behind everyone else IF more raids take place) may be the best UCONN can hope for, and without losing a BCS bid, would still put us in a good conference. not great but good. for us, we are never going to end up in the SEC or PAC or Big whatever, and our ability to recruit with the big boys will never get to that level, at least not in the next 10 years.

but that doesn't mean we can't continue to grow, be competitive, and continue to make bowl games...

Reaction Score
but you have to admit your scenario assumes WVU and L'ville stay in the BE. to be honest, i wouldn't care that much if FSU and Clemson left the ACC and UCONN was able to join what was left. that would probably mean RU would head over. if ND says no and Va Tech leaves too, that might mean they would take WVU even tho they have crappy academics. the football lure might be too much for them.

being in a big conference like the ACC, even if they don't have a great football conference (clearly they'd end up ahead of the reconstituted BE but behind everyone else IF more raids take place) may be the best UCONN can hope for, and without losing a BCS bid, would still put us in a good conference. not great but good. for us, we are never going to end up in the SEC or PAC or Big whatever, and our ability to recruit with the big boys will never get to that level, at least not in the next 10 years.

but that doesn't mean we can't continue to grow, be competitive, and continue to make bowl games...
What I don't get is Clemson. They haven't done anything in years but maybe i missed something.

Reaction Score
There is absolutley no correlation between expansion and on the field performance. Especially based on a season or two. The Simple fact is by not being in the Big East Syracuse and Pitt will see an improvement in recruiting.

Reaction Score
didn't Clemson get thoroughly man handled by USF in a bowl game last year, a team we beat in their house. Clemson will fade like the color out of an old t-shirt as the year goes on. It's Clemson, it's what they do.

Reaction Score
There will be almost no advantage to UCOnn being in the ACC versus the Big EAst as it was a month ago. However, now that the Big EAst has been destabilized, a lateral move is necessary.

Reaction Score
didn't Clemson get thoroughly man handled by USF in a bowl game last year, a team we beat in their house. Clemson will fade like the color out of an old t-shirt as the year goes on. It's Clemson, it's what they do.
But a lot of it is also game day experience, location, perception. Clemson just beat Auburn, ?? I think. It's not all about on the field.

Reaction Score
There will be almost no advantage to UCOnn being in the ACC versus the Big EAst as it was a month ago. However, now that the Big EAst has been destabilized, a lateral move is necessary.
That is all true.

Reaction Score
It's ironic that those two schools are mentioned in this thread, as both could now be SEC targets.

Reaction Score
OK, Clemson has beat Auburn and FSU in back to back weeks. Next week at VT. Big game. But that is the last tough game on Clemson's entire schedule. Almost guarantee at least 10-2 this year, probably better. They are a target.

Reaction Score
Of course there will be recruiting wise. Just look at all the recruites for Mizzou that said they were fine if Mizzou went to the ACC but if they went to the Big East they may no longer be interested. The numbers may say that the ACC is equal but reputation says otherwise. The Big East always was looked down upon. SU Pitt and hopefully UConn will find recruiting much easier

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So think about it differently. in the SEC, Clemson would likely never challenge for a division title. In the ACC they can compete for a real shot at a BCS bowl every year. In the SEC east, they'll fight to be the 3rd or 4th best team in the division. If you're a current SEC east school, do you really want a tough Clemson road game every other year?

From a tv point of view Clemson adds nothing. I somehow see NC St. as an option. They're an academic weak sister in the ACC. They bring tv markets to the SEC. FSU would bring more Fla tv sets and a quality team.

Reaction Score
The original post raises some good points. Clemson and FSU are football programs that are clearly a notch above Pitt and Syracuse, and it doesn't directly correlate with performance on the field. Clemson and Syracuse could both go 7-5, against similar-skilled opponents, and Clemson is still the better program. Why? The stadium..the game day experience..the southern tradition.

Clemson and FSU are entering the "too big for the ACC" status the same way WVU football is too big for the Big East. If you watched Clemson vs. Auburn, and West Virginia vs LSU during the past 2 weeks, you can just tell.

I think geography and isolation plays a role for teams too. Take Va. Tech for example: they're a good enough program to be in the SEC, but they're in a league with Virginia and 4 North Carolina schools...not much reason to be unhappy. On the other hand, West Virginia is closer, both as a program and geographically, to southern style football. Clemson and FSU are buried in SEC country.

Clemson and FSU setting their sights on the SEC helps us bigtime. Obviously it benefits them, but it also frees up some spots for UConn to join a league that would suddenly bring all the plus sides of the Big East (our local rivals) with a chance to remain competitive in football (taking away the ACC's biggest heavyweights). Suddenly you're looking at the nation's best league in basketball, and an average group of schools in football that is at least stable. That's an environment UConn can thrive in with both football and bball, in my opinion.

Reaction Score
The original post raises some good points. Clemson and FSU are football programs that are clearly a notch above Pitt and Syracuse, and it doesn't directly correlate with performance on the field. Clemson and Syracuse could both go 7-5, against similar-skilled opponents, and Clemson is still the better program. Why? The stadium..the game day experience..the southern tradition.

Clemson and FSU are entering the "too big for the ACC" status the same way WVU football is too big for the Big East. If you watched Clemson vs. Auburn, and West Virginia vs LSU during the past 2 weeks, you can just tell.

I think geography and isolation plays a role for teams too. Take Va. Tech for example: they're a good enough program to be in the SEC, but they're in a league with Virginia and 4 North Carolina schools...not much reason to be unhappy. On the other hand, West Virginia is closer, both as a program and geographically, to southern style football. Clemson and FSU are buried in SEC country.

Clemson and FSU setting their sights on the SEC helps us bigtime. Obviously it benefits them, but it also frees up some spots for UConn to join a league that would suddenly bring all the plus sides of the Big East (our local rivals) with a chance to remain competitive in football (taking away the ACC's biggest heavyweights). Suddenly you're looking at the nation's best league in basketball, and an average group of schools in football that is at least stable. That's an environment UConn can thrive in with both football and bball, in my opinion.
I agree with this completely. One other thought though is the SEC's desire to be in 'new' markets, which would mean schools like NC State or VA Tech.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
I agree with this completely. One other thought though is the SEC's desire to be in 'new' markets, which would mean schools like NC State or VA Tech.

Mainly a positive unless a worst case happens where ACC goes to add back a 14th and it can attract ND or even UT. Then ACC would be locked at 14. If those don't then I would think UConn is in good shape to get the 14th.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
But a lot of it is also game day experience, location, perception. Clemson just beat Auburn, ?? I think. It's not all about on the field.

So what you are saying is, it's not all about substance, style points matter.

I agree with this. Another thing, if your school is in some flyover state, in some tucked away corner in the deep south where there is nothing else to do, then you will have a better gameday experience than you will in a place up north where people have more options.

Reaction Score

Well except they will be making more money.

Reaction Score
Not sure about Clemson, but Florida State might be a bit more concerned about ...well Florida State. A team they were touting as a dark horse candidate for the National Championship has proven to be much less than that yet again.

Reaction Score
Not sure about Clemson, but Florida State might be a bit more concerned about ...well Florida State. A team they were touting as a dark horse candidate for the National Championship has proven to be much less than that yet again.

What's this? A Florida State team that was grossly over rated in pre season polls? Impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom