Freshmen stardom in the postseason | The Boneyard

Freshmen stardom in the postseason

Reaction Score
Pretty remarkable that four of the nation’s best freshmen led their teams to conference tourney titles:
  • ACC: Hannah Hidalgo, Notre Dame
  • Big 12: Madison Booker, Texas
  • PAC 12: Juju Watkins, USC
  • SEC: MiLaysia Fulwiley, South Carolina
Three of the four (assuming Booker takes it, she was the clear MVP) will also have won their tournament’s most outstanding player awards.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Pretty remarkable that four of the nation’s best freshmen led their teams to conference tourney titles:
  • ACC: Hannah Hidalgo, Notre Dame
  • Big 12: Madison Booker, Texas
  • PAC 12: Juju Watkins, USC
  • SEC: MiLaysia Fulwiley, South Carolina
Three of the four (assuming Booker takes it, she was the clear MVP) will also have won their tournament’s most outstanding player awards.
And even more impressive: there's little chance three of the four would have won without them. (I think USC could have won their conference tourney even without Fulwiley.)

Reaction Score
How did Fulwiley win it? It seemed she only had one good game in the tournament which certainly give her all tournament team given it was the championship game but tournament mvp seems like a stretch.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
How did Fulwiley win it? It seemed she only had one good game in the tournament which certainly give her all tournament team given it was the championship game but tournament mvp seems like a stretch.
She led the team in scoring. The only other player who averaged double digits in the tournament was Cardoso and she wasn't nearly as effective as Fulwiley in the title game (not to mention she probably killed her chances when she shoved Flaujae).

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Just want to shout out Madison Booker, she was unbelievable tonight. She might be the most Lebron-esque women's player I've seen. Big, strong and dominant in the midrange. Great vision and fills the stat sheet. Tonight she had 26 points, 6 boards, 5 assists and 0 TOs in 40 minutes. Just unreal. She also was excellent defensively and Texas dominated from start to finish.

Texas has two more top 10 recruits coming in next year, brings back Harmon and should have everyone back aside from Gonzales and Taylor Jones. Vic has quietly done a heck of a job at Texas.

Reaction Score
Just want to shout out Madison Booker, she was unbelievable tonight. She might be the most Lebron-esque women's player I've seen. Big, strong and dominant in the midrange. Great vision and fills the stat sheet. Tonight she had 26 points, 6 boards, 5 assists and 0 TOs in 40 minutes. Just unreal. She also was excellent defensively and Texas dominated from start to finish.

Texas has two more top 10 recruits coming in next year, brings back Harmon and should have everyone back aside from Gonzales and Taylor Jones. Vic has quietly done a heck of a job at Texas.
I am so excited for Texas and Oklahoma to join the SEC in women's basketball. Next year is going to be a fun one.

Reaction Score

She’s not as flashy as Hidalgo or Watkins but Booker has been by far the most consistent of the top freshmen listed above despite playing out of position. I haven’t heard her name much in the All-American conversations but I think she absolutely deserves a spot. Her stats are terrific but the eye test is even better plus Texas has been a top-five team almost all year with her at the helm. Even with SC and LSU bringing back loaded rosters Texas will likely have the SEC’s best one-two punch next year with Booker and Harmon.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
She’s not as flashy as Hidalgo or Watkins but Booker has been by far the most consistent of the top freshmen listed above despite playing out of position. I haven’t heard her name much in the All-American conversations but I think she absolutely deserves a spot. Her stats are terrific but the eye test is even better plus Texas has been a top-five team almost all year with her at the helm. Even with SC and LSU bringing back loaded rosters Texas will likely have the SEC’s best one-two punch next year with Booker and Harmon.
I like and respect Booker as much as the next basketball observer, but that's a pretty big blanket statement you've just made: "by far the most consistent listed..." Given my allegiance and the proximity to St. Paddy's Day, it even got My Irish up. ;):D

What do you base that on? Yes, she's become a point forward and controls the offense, while still scoring, rebounding, dishing out the rock.

However, Hidalgo has not taken her pedal off the metal since her first break-out game against South Carolina. She..
  • leads the Irish in scoring, assists and leads the very aggressive defense of Notre Dame.
  • is the nation's leader in steals
  • Second on her team in rebounding (more than Brooker), even though she's 5'6"
  • And, as ACC commentator noted, she has scored in double digits every game. That consistency as a frosh is great.

Booker, Hidalgo and Watkins are all great. My point: adding a "one of the most consistent..." would've done the trick.

Reaction Score
I like and respect Booker as much as the next basketball observer, but that's a pretty big blanket statement you've just made: "by far the most consistent listed..." Given my allegiance and the proximity to St. Paddy's Day, it even got My Irish up. ;):D

What do you base that on? Yes, she's become a point forward and controls the offense, while still scoring, rebounding, dishing out the rock.

However, Hidalgo has not taken her pedal off the metal since her first break-out game against South Carolina. She..
  • leads the Irish in scoring, assists and leads the very aggressive defense of Notre Dame.
  • is the nation's leader in steals
  • Second on her team in rebounding (more than Brooker), even though she's 5'6"
  • And, as ACC commentator noted, she has scored in double digits every game. That consistency as a frosh is great.

Booker, Hidalgo and Watkins are all great. My point: adding a "one of the most consistent..." would've done the the trick.
All great points, and I’m a big Hidalgo fan. I was basing that statement off Booker’s shooting efficiency and should have said as much.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
All great points, and I’m a big Hidalgo fan. I was basing that statement off Booker’s shooting efficiency and should have said as much.
I guess when you have so many fantastic players -- Madison, Hannah, JuJu, etc. -- each line, stat and word becomes paramount, right? ;)
Booker is a force and when Harmon comes back, Texas will be scary.
Then again, Hannah and Sonia Citron will be joined in the backcourt next year by Olivia Miles. Remember her? Wore those horn-rimmed glasses? :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom