Freshman Ashlynn Shade peaking at perfect moment | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Freshman Ashlynn Shade peaking at perfect moment

Reaction Score
So on Monday night I was watching the late game, USC vs KS, on ESPN. At halftime, the ESPN analysts (no Rebecca) did a segment on all the talented freshmen in the women’s tournament. They highlighted Watkins, Hidalgo, Williams, Fulwilly & Booker and their stats for the first two tournament games.

With the exception of Watkins, Ashlynn’s numbers, and I would argue her performance as well, has been superior to every other freshman recognized by ESPN. It’s nice that the “hometown newspaper” is showing Ashlynn some love. But it’s time that her outstanding play is highlighted by the national media as well.

Agreed! I was very confused. This is a Women’s hoops account I follow on Twitter. Even this showed that Ashlynn should’ve been noted on ESPN, possibly Top 2. Almost 23 points on 55% shooting (as a 3rd option).

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
What do our resident coaches think of this shooting form?

8B435D64-12CF-44E0-85D3-C68AB185A15C.jpeg

Reaction Score
This young lady is very humble, she is always seems to be smiling during the game. She seems to really love not only the game, but her teammates, UConn and the fans. I just have one question, does she always say "yes" after her shot goes in the net?
napoleon-dynamite-yes.gif

Reaction Score

View attachment 98308
It's great. Perfectly vertical with an old school release with bent elbow and the ball tucked closer to the head than Paige ,for example. Her fingertip release, with the "swan neck" pointing down gives her the perfect rotation with backspin. Check out the finish from His Airness winning the NBA title against the Jazz and you will see the same downward swan neck.

Reaction Score
To my mind the only issue is endurance. In the tough games she had that I saw, she was clearly tired. She seems to have found her"second season" wind though and look like she could play another game Monday night. The key about her is to keep shooting even if she is off. She is really not just a shooter though, she is a scorer. There is a difference.
Have to disagree re endurance
See the games live and I see just the opposite
Her conditioning is world class
To me she never shows signs of fatigue
Like any player not playing well drains a player
But have not ever seen any physical fatigue

Reaction Score
Some older folks (like me) might argue that her off hand should be more off to the side, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with her technique or her results.

Reaction Score
It's great. Perfectly vertical with an old school release with bent elbow and the ball tucked closer to the head than Paige ,for example. Her fingertip release, with the "swan neck" pointing down gives her the perfect rotation with backspin. Check out the finish from His Airness winning the NBA title against the Jazz and you will see the same downward swan neck.
Good observation
Have another on Monday she got an offensive
Rebound instead of throwing it out to the backcourt with her back to the defending player
She stepped to the baseline totally elevated and made a turnaround jumper from 8 ft ( right in front of my seats)
Kept thinking how successful Ice Brady would be if the could develop that skill
And of course her ability to make the mid range pull up jumper at full speed is obvious
If she could extend that pull up to the 3 point line
She would go to another level
Really enjoy watching her play!

Reaction Score

View attachment 98308

What I see is her elbows are in and her wrist is aligned with her line of sight. Also, and this is maybe the most important, her release is distinct from her jump. What I mean is she doesn't use the jump to provide force to the shot. Her wrists are strong enough to shoot without needing her legs to assist.

Reaction Score
There are guards Shade's size who don't have trouble finishing in the lane. As she gets more experience, she will have less trouble finishing. However, I do not remember seeing her drive all the way to the basket. She usually stops and shoots her jumper. If she escapes injury, she will be hard to guard for the next three seasons and to see her on the court with Paige and Fudd next season, will be something special to watch.
Will KK be on the court?

Reaction Score
Ash should start next season. I don’t know how you take someone with her success and now put her in the back seat. She earned it. JMHO
Hmmm. Would you play her ahead of Azzi? Ahead of Paige? Ahead of KK (with Paige, presumably, as the facilitator)? Are you imagining a four guard lineup with all of the above plus a center? If som are you comfortable limiting Ice or Jana to mop up duty? If you are committed to a 4 guard lineup, , how would you use Aubrey, Yanna, and the freshmen?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Loved Nika's quote here -
“It’s those team-driven moments that Ashlynn thrives in, like the 3-pointer drained at the end of the first quarter against Syracuse that gave point guard Nika Muhl her 660th career assist. That pass broke Moriah Jefferson’s program record set from 2012-16, but the play that stood out to Muhl was Ashlynn’s steal with under a minute left in the fourth quarter that set up Arnold for the game-clinching 3-pointer.
Ashlynn in March is different. March Ashlynn, I feel like that should be her new nickname,” Muhl said, grinning. “Coach gets so much on her about her defense and then she makes that winning play and strips the ball and gets us possession … She’s also a very emotional player, so to see her put those emotions aside and focus on the game and make winning plays, I’m just so proud of her, and she deserves everything.”

Reaction Score

View attachment 98308
A lot of comments about her hands (and they are very good) but what is impressive is her body posture is perfect. She is in total balance and all of this shows up when she is shooting shots within her natural range. I would guess her percentage inside 15ft is about 60% and as she pushes herself on the range that same efficiency will grow too.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
A lot of comments about her hands (and they are very good) but what is impressive is her body posture is perfect. She is in total balance and all of this shows up when she is shooting shots within her natural range. I would guess her percentage inside 15ft is about 60% and as she pushes herself on the range that same efficiency will grow too.
Go to YouTube and watch some of her work out videos, she does things that most high school basketball players don't do. Her weight training and her basketball workouts are not a walk in the park. I don't remember who in the fitness staff at UConn stated it but they said that Ash was most likely the most physically fit freshmen player that ever came to UConn.

Reaction Score
Love to watch her play. My experience watching her is so similar to Caroline Ducharme. I watched Ash in some of the games overseas and was thinking she may be a couple years away. I had a similar thought watching Caroline her first couple games her freshmen year. Then early on this season, even in the Texas game Ashlynn looked good. Then every time I saw her she looked good and was consistently producing. To the point like I think she's kinda underrated. I love her midrange game. She can take a couple dribbles get bumped in the lane and still hit the shot from the mid range. I just think finishing in the lane is tough cuz she's kinda short. That's y I always say the rest of the world is lucky she's only 5'9. Anyways really liked the story.
But, taller than Hildago.

Reaction Score
Go to YouTube and watch some of her work out videos, she does things that most high school basketball players don't do. Her weight training and her basketball workouts are not a walk in the park. I don't remember who in the fitness staff at UConn stated it but they said that Ash was most likely the most physically fit freshmen player that ever came to UConn.

Isn't her father a personal trainer? That may explain her level of physical fitness for someone her age.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom