Free throw disparity | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Free throw disparity

Reaction Score
Our bigs never head fake. When is the last time you saw an opposing big man leave his feet? Our big guys leave their feet all the time.

Plus that hard hedge 30 feet from the basket leads to a bunch of silly fouls every game.
Did you watch the game last night? the one specific play from Sanogo I recall was him getting a dump down from Bouk and faking 3 defenders in the air before calmly putting in the layup.

Can remember another one where Whaley did the same thing, saw a lagging defender sprinting to come for a block, put up the head fake and then an easy 2, and the immediate next play he tried again but the defender didnt bite, so he passed. Shocking to see a comment like this after that game last night where we did use our bigs

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
There was a drive Cole had with like 5 minutes left that he got slashed across the arm at least 2 times and didn't require a slow motion replay to see how obvious of missed calls they were. It worked out in our favor because he made the layup, but those are fouls we constantly get called for but aren't called when we are on the offensive end of the floor. It feels like this has been happening a lot in the past few games. Same thing happened at the end of the game on the monster Bouk dunk. He got hit 3 times blatantly while dribbling up the court when Georgetown was trying to foul and nothing was called. Do we foul a lot? Yes. But if these refs are going to call ticky tack fouls on the floor (per the rules) it needs to be called both ways.

If we have a nice lead against Marquette this weekend I'd love to see Hurley get a T or full blown ejection going after the refs if they continue to miss these obvious calls / call fouls completely lopsided. Got to protect the players and honestly the poor refereeing we have seen this year deserves to be shown up a bit.

Reaction Score
For last night, I thought Bouk and Cole got tough whistles compared to how everyone else was officiated. A lot of bumps on drives and Bouk in the air weren't called.

In general, Bouk is awesome at drawing fouls. His change of pace and explosion are great. It's the best part of his game.

Everyone else not so much. Sanogo's baby hook doesn't draw fouls. He draws a really unremarkable number of fouls for a big who scores a decent number of points.

We don't get Whaley in position to draw fouls very often. Just a feature of our offense and playing a good chunk of his minutes next to another big who gets the post looks instead of him.

Martin is pretty good at drawing fouls, but he's the 4th option on offense right now. Gaffney is also decent at it when he attacks, but he attacks so infrequently so as to make it moot.

Cole tries, but at his size he gets swallowed up sometimes and so the opponent doesn't need to foul him. He has a nice ability to draw fouls in transition.

Jackson hasn't learned to do it yet. He's still trying to use his athleticism to avoid fouls instead of drawing them.

Polley has never been good at drawing fouls (which is understandable for essentially a straight jump shooter).
I thought a big part of the bad officiating for us was the refs fell for EVERY. SINGLE. head jerk flop gtown put on. I used to call this "the kemba" and "the Shabazz" and I feel like after shabazz they started not calling fouls on these because all the guards were doing it.

Well last night multiple guys on gtown were making their entire purpose on the court just reacting to any little incidental contact with a head jerk, I felt like we got whistled for 6 in a row and it was beyond atrocious.

I agree fully about the Sanogo take though, he's a big monster and we dump it down to him frequently but he alwyas puts up his little turn hook, which I like because it goes in quite often, but almost never causes a foul. We need to get him some more moves to get some contact, get easy whistles on the other team's bigs, hello Kevin Freeman lets go

Reaction Score
I got one better..........”how does arguably the best shooting guard in the country who gets beat up every game by one, two, and sometimes three defenders not draw ANY touch or bump fouls from the refs? Or doesn’t draw any fouls after scoring, said player ends up on the floor?”
I don't know if the facts back this up, but it seemed to me that, before the Villanova game, Bouk was in fact drawing a lot of the nickel-dimers you are referencing. For some reason, that has stopped during the last 2 games, and, instead of drawing a foul, he is turning the ball over in those spots.

Reaction Score
Did you watch the game last night? the one specific play from Sanogo I recall was him getting a dump down from Bouk and faking 3 defenders in the air before calmly putting in the layup.

Can remember another one where Whaley did the same thing, saw a lagging defender sprinting to come for a block, put up the head fake and then an easy 2, and the immediate next play he tried again but the defender didnt bite, so he passed. Shocking to see a comment like this after that game last night where we did use our bigs
Watch that play again. What Sanogo does (and I mentioned this in a post on this thread) was stay patience and on the floor, then go up. He really do anything except wait while the G'town players take themselves out of the play. As I said, Sanogo uses his feet to get space under the basket.

It's shocking that you think our players use the head fake to draw fouls and then mention two plays where we didn't draw fouls.

CV1

Reaction Score

Yeah have to agree here. Thought our bigs used the head fake very well last night. Sanogo and Whaley both did. Carlton not so much but gotta say he gave us some decent minutes in the 2nd half when Sanogo and Whaley were in foul trouble. At least we can count on Carlton giving us some rebounds when he is on the floor.

Reaction Score
I don't know if the facts back this up, but it seemed to me that, before the Villanova game, Bouk was in fact drawing a lot of the nickel-dimers you are referencing. For some reason, that has stopped during the last 2 games, and, instead of drawing a foul, he is turning the ball over in those spots.
Before the Villanova game he only played one game after being out for 5 weeks, and before that many of their games were cancelled. Maybe last season?

Reaction Score
Before the Villanova game he only played one game after being out for 5 weeks, and before that many of their games were cancelled. Maybe last season?
I was referring to all of his games prior to last week's 'Nova game, both this season (pre- and post-injury) and last season. Like I said, it's more of a gut feeling as opposed to anything I am sure about. It's just that I seem to recall thinking, "Boy, he sure draws a lot of those touch fouls" throughout his career, but I have not found myself saying that at all the last 2 games.

Reaction Score
I was referring to all of his games prior to last week's 'Nova game, both this season (pre- and post-injury) and last season. Like I said, it's more of a gut feeling as opposed to anything I am sure about. It's just that I seem to recall thinking, "Boy, he sure draws a lot of those touch fouls" throughout his career, but I have not found myself saying that at all the last 2 games.
Possibly it’s some of the Big East referee crews that are being stingy, last season was in a different league, and before he got hurt on January 5th he only played two Big East games. The majority of games in November and December are OOC games anyway.

What’s also noticeable other than the lack of foul calls is the lack of foul calls most recently where teams defending Bouk have really ratcheted up the level of banging and “rough” defense, compared to earlier in the season and last year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
the high hedge is causing too many fouls. Players get out of position, the bigs commit too many fouls 30 feet away from the basket, and players are switching and running at at the offense out of control. Not every foul is caused by this defensive scheme but it is a contributing factor to the early bonus opportunities we provide other teams. I’d like to know our +/- when we do this.
I hate the high edge also. What purpose does Sanogo or Carlton serve 20-25 feet from the basket? It seems to leave an open man most of the time. I mean you can use it a little but why use it every possession?

Can someone who knows more about basketball than I do explain to me what it's supposed to accomplish? Is it used to create a turnover? Because that doesn't happen enough for this to be effective.

Reaction Score
When Josh hedges out the ref could probably blow the whistle before the screen even happens to save some time. Sanogo needs some improvement too, but that will come.

Yesterday our weak side rotations were a second slow 3-4 times and their PG did a fantastic job finding the bigs down low out of the hedge.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom