For those who remember: Joe Moorhead/Andrew Breiner Article | The Boneyard

For those who remember: Joe Moorhead/Andrew Breiner Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Moorehead is going to be a solid head coach at the FBS level someday.

Which probably means it won't be here, because why would things work out well for us ?

Breiner will probably be the next Chip Kelly, and we will watch him destroy us a number of times, all while wondering why he "wasn't good enough" to stick at UCONN with our powerhouse, 9 point per game offense.

Reaction Score
Yeah but coaching doesn't matter. It's all Jimmies and Joes! He knows what he's doing that was obvious at Fordham. The complete opposite of what we have here. He would have had us competing by now instead of getting throttled by BC and Tulane.

Reaction Score
So who's gonna start petitioning for the AD to pay Diaco to go away, then hire Moorhead as HC, Breiner as OC?

Guess it mskes too much sense, huh?

Reaction Score
wish list for Christmas

Joe Moorehead... please have your agent contact the Office of the President at the University of Connecticut
and bring your OC now HC at Fordham with you.....

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
You guys do remember that Edsall brought Moorehead here then proceeded to put the handcuff's/brakes on his offense. What he ran at Akron and Fordham NEVER saw the light of day here at UConn.

Remember it all too well. Never understood what the point was of bringing in a new OC and then cutting his playbook in half. Sadly, Diaco would do the exact same thing.

But man oh man, I would love for Joe Moorhead to be our head coach in the 2017 season.

Reaction Score
Bringing in a hot shot OC means nothing if Diaco is still there to meddle with the offense. He is 1000% risk adverse and will probably have whoever gets hired running the same garbage scheme. Its who he is. He wants to run a 1980's 3 yards and a cloud of dust Big 10 offense. The problem is he can't recruit the O line to make it a reality. He's the problem. He has to go.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Bringing in a hot shot OC means nothing if Diaco is still there to meddle with the offense. He is 1000% risk adverse and will probably have whoever gets hired running the same garbage scheme. Its who he is. He wants to run a 1980's 3 yards and a cloud of dust Big 10 offense. The problem is he can't recruit the O line to make it a reality. He's the problem. He has to go.

Yup. Difficult to make staff changes when the head guy still loves to ground and pound and punt and fake every other FG.

Reaction Score
Yup. Difficult to make staff changes when the head guy still loves to ground and pound and punt and fake every other FG.

To be fair, he did say in his last press conference that *how* we run the football may change. He talked about what Tulane does with the spread triple option and he also talked about 4 wide receiver sets with power running (a la Baylor). I don't think he says that if he's dead set on staying with 2TE and a FB packages. Who knows, Bob loves to talk about the option, maybe we're going to turn into Navy lol

Dooley

Reaction Score
To be fair, he did say in his last press conference that *how* we run the football may change. He talked about what Tulane does with the spread triple option and he also talked about 4 wide receiver sets with power running (a la Baylor). I don't think he says that if he's dead set on staying with 2TE and a FB packages. Who knows, Bob loves to talk about the option, maybe we're going to turn into Navy lol

As we've all learned over the years - what Bob says and what Bob does are two entirely separate things. Maybe he means we'll run off left tackle next year as opposed to right tackle this year.

Reaction Score
You are a young coach, given a ample budget to bring the assistant coaches you want, three years to clear some and bring in the type of athletes you need ... the mere fact that he gets the chance for a reset is not common at this level of Football. There is nothing in his philosophy nor his overall program that should give you confidence that he will have a structure that works ... in a AAC that is getting far tougher. I would think he would crawl under the bed and cry. Not much worked this year.

Reaction Score
My problem with HCBD is no matter what style of offense he wants to run, he seems to be allergic to picking an OC with any track record of successfully running that style somewhere else, even in the FCS.

Reaction Score
As we've all learned over the years - what Bob says and what Bob does are two entirely separate things. Maybe he means we'll run off left tackle next year as opposed to right tackle this year.

They tried to go to a spread this year w/ more 4/5 receiver sets even w/ the offensive line issues. My sense based on pointed comments he made (and bodies under the bus) is that nobody on staff has the needed experience scheming/coordinating that offensive style.

When Taggart was last on the hot seat - he hit reset button and replaced both the OC and DC. It happens and paid off. Who knows here...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

I dont know, Diaco let DW flail about the last three games which didn't seem entirely risk averse to me.

The fundamental problem with Diaco is that he doesn't know what he is doing.

He can't recruit. Picks kids that look the size part vs smaller kids with speed and tenacity. Not one impact player has been recruiting by Diaco thus far. Most galling, we have had OL and QB problem for 6 years and neither position has improve one iota from the start of his tenure. In fact, both look worse.
He can't teach. Not one player is better today than when they started. Several seemingly have regressed with increased playing time which is bizarre.
He can't coach. X&Os (discovered the nickel package mid way into season 3). We also have the Navy game melt down, timeout issues and numerous strange decisions on special teams/4th downs to point too.
He is delusional and surrounded by yes men. His original coaching staff was based on friendship and not skills. His replacements have been carefully selected as types unlikely to challenge his control....aka more yes men.
Culture? All I see is a culture that plays tight...not to lose.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They tried to go to a spread this year w/ more 4/5 receiver sets even w/ the offensive line issues. My sense based on pointed comments he made (and bodies under the bus) is that nobody on staff has the needed experience scheming/coordinating that offensive style.

When Taggart was last on the hot seat - he hit reset button and replaced both the OC and DC. It happens and paid off. Who knows here...

I just hope he realizes that he needs to recruit and coach the OL better. If your OL is good then you can run whatever offense you want.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Taggart has the FL recruiting base and warm weather. Surely he has lower standards for acceptance as well.

As much as the coaching sucks at UConn, we have a serious speed deficiency. What we saw against Maine was reality, we have low end Colonial Athletic Conf speed....which is way short of what we need.

Edsall knew what he was doing on recruiting from one standpoint, when picking from the left overs, go with the fastest kids. Diaco always picks the big kids (ie slower)....wrong choice.

Dooley

Reaction Score
We've spent the last 2+ years recruiting big guys with big frames and sacrificing speed. We just don't have the talent on the roster right now to run tempo offense. If Benedict/Goetz want to change the style of play to win games and sell tickets, they need to make a fresh start and bring in a guy who will recruit the type of players needed for it.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
We've spent the last 2+ years recruiting big guys with big frames and sacrificing speed. We just don't have the talent on the roster right now to run tempo offense. If Benedict/Goetz want to change the style of play to win games and sell tickets, they need to make a fresh start and bring in a guy who will recruit the type of players needed for it.

And do you see sh_t for brains changing that recruiting philosophy? I don't. He looks for kids that look like his hair, physically perfect rather than the fastest kids that need coaching.

Reaction Score

I personally don't give a crap what kind of offense we run if it puts points on the board. We could run the single wing and if it works I'd be fine with it.

Dooley

Reaction Score
And do you see sh_t for brains changing that recruiting philosophy? I don't. He looks for kids that look like his hair, physically perfect rather than the fastest kids that need coaching.

No. I don't see Diaco changing his philosophy whatsoever. That's why I want him gone.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I personally don't give a crap what kind of offense we run if it puts points on the board. We could run the single wing and if it works I'd be fine with it.

I haven't read or watched Diaco's post game pressers, but my guess is that he hasn't identified UConn's fundamental problem....speed deficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom