Football tackling Reverts to old Style | The Boneyard

Football tackling Reverts to old Style

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Watching the Green Bay, Sunday night game, I was struck how much the game has changed in the last 2 or 3 years,
reverting to safer (relatively) tackling, much around the ankles, not dissimilar to the way it was back in the 50's and 60's.

There were those who prophesized the downfall of football with the elimination of head first contact were quite incorrect.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With booth reviews for targeting in both the pros & college, with the resulting penalty including expulsion of the guilty party, players learned quickly to clean up their tackling technique.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Confirmation (in a sense) from Tom Brady himself
With head spearing clearly disallowed, he noted:

"I think the defensive players are more on the defensive when they go in to tackle. And I think that's probably adding to this element of quarterbacks outside the pocket and taking more chances, you know, than they did in the past.
"I'd say the game is a little softer than it used to be," added the seven-time Super Bowl winner, who is two games into his 22nd season in the NFL and recently admitted he could see himself playing until 50
."

Reaction Score
Honestly I've always felt they should go to the Rugby rule for Tackling.. if there is no wrap or continued contact to the ground, there is no tackle, take the launch hit out of the game. (frankly I think if you took the helmets and hard plastic 'pads' off the players you may make it safer, you're not leading with your head if all your wearing is a scrum-cap; but the hard plastic makes you feel invincible so you think nothing of just launching at the opponent)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm in here just to give thanks to using "reverts" instead of "reverts back".

Reaction Score
I was on Twitter and I saw a bunch of fans whining about how bad Alabama’s players were at tackling. LOL. Poor folks don’t understand how hard it is to tackle nowadays. With the new rules and just the overall skill of the offensive players it’s way easier said than done. UConn fans fit right in though with the complaining.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Well, it was the beer of choice for the 1985 Bears, which had one of the most historically stout defenses in NFL history.

Reaction Score
Honestly I've always felt they should go to the Rugby rule for Tackling.. if there is no wrap or continued contact to the ground, there is no tackle, take the launch hit out of the game. (frankly I think if you took the helmets and hard plastic 'pads' off the players you may make it safer, you're not leading with your head if all your wearing is a scrum-cap; but the hard plastic makes you feel invincible so you think nothing of just launching at the opponent)
Having played both hs football and collegiate rugby I felt the type of contact was different but the potential for concussions maybe slightly higher for rugby. The data seems to bear this out.

What does the data say?​

When it comes to concussions, research conducted by Complete Concussion Management in 2018 revealed that of all sports, men's rugby had the highest rate of concussion for people over the age of 18, with a rate of 3.0 concussions per every 1,000 players per game. Football comes in second with 2.5 concussions per every 1,000 players per game

Reaction Score
Watching the Green Bay, Sunday night game, I was struck how much the game has changed in the last 2 or 3 years,
reverting to safer (relatively) tackling, much around the ankles, not dissimilar to the way it was back in the 50's and 60's.

There were those who prophesized the downfall of football with the elimination of head first contact were quite incorrect.
You mean back when they basically tried to kill guys?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom