OT: - Florida State to sue ACC over GOR | Page 36 | The Boneyard

OT: Florida State to sue ACC over GOR

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So... the grant of rights is designed to add value to immediate contract by guaranteeing that member schools conveyance of their rights can't be terminated before the end of the term of the grant. But, you're saying that it can be ended at any time by school leaving the conference. How do those two things reconcile if you are ESPN and want certainty about the institutions for which you've purchased broadcast rights?

I'm not saying that. I'm saying that's billybud's roundup of what FSU is saying.

Basically any school can buy their way out of the conference via exit fee and then they are released from the GoR.

How these cases play out in terms of timeline, commitments and money is beyond me. I'll go on a limb and say the Florida judge is sympathetic to FSU, the South Carolina judge is sympathetic towards Clemson and the North Carolina judge is the same towards the conference.

One side note, the overall college football implications of these cases is much less now because the Big12 is relatively stable and the Pac12 is gone. ACC is only conference left with a GoR that has any supposed teeth left in it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm not saying that. I'm saying that's billybud's roundup of what FSU is saying.

Basically any school can buy their way out of the conference via exit fee and then they are released from the GoR.

How these cases play out in terms of timeline, commitments and money is beyond me. I'll go on a limb and say the Florida judge is sympathetic to FSU, the South Carolina judge is sympathetic towards Clemson and the North Carolina judge is the same towards the conference.

One side note, the overall college football implications of these cases is much less now because the Big12 is relatively stable and the Pac12 is gone. ACC is only conference left with a GoR that has any supposed teeth left in it.
Ah okay. I believe that Billy Budd has me blocked since I don't see his posts anymore.

The notion that a GOR is somehow rescinded by leaving the conference misses the point of the conveyance. It's like a car dealership deciding to terminate your three year lease after six months because it needs the car back.

As a rule contracts cannot be terminated merely because you've changed your mind and don't like what you agreed to. At least, not for free.

FSU liked this deal when it entered into it. Subsequently, it believes that its market value has changed and now wants to set aside the deal that it made FSU liked this deal when it entered into it. Subsequently, it believes that it's market value has changed and now wants to set aside the deal that it made disregarding every other party to that contract. Ultimately, they may be able to get those right back, but it won't be at no cost.

Reaction Score
It was a good day for the ACC

And a lot of FSU guys thought it was a good day for FSU...three issues heard,,,two ruled in favor of FSU...the third, personal jurisdiction...is postponed. The judge said "amend the filing to be more specific on the issue and we'll reconvene. He even instructed FSU lawyers on what he wanted to see in the amended filing...

Sure, the delay, probably makes the ACC happier...but they have a lot of fires to fight...FSU's appeal of the North Carolina court's venue position (will tie that up for a while), Clemson's suit in South Carolina, the ACC's suit vs Clemson in North Carolina. Lawyer catnip.

If these aren't settled, it could be 2026 before the courts finish suits and then their appeals.

Watching the ACC officiating this season in FSU and Clemson games will be interesting...here a hold, there a hold, everywhere a hold.

Reaction Score
"what's your call on the flag?" "false start..I saw a twitch..didn't you ?"

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Everything about this seems weird. I don’t think I have ever seen a contract that doesn’t specify which state court will have jurisdiction in disputes. Even when one institution is from another state, and files in that state, eventually both courts agree as to which has jurisdiction. Otherwise it is a mess. Normally the agreements specifically state which one applies.

Eventually I still think this will be settled. Every single one of these ultimately has settled. This will be no different.

I agree that there is a lot of weird stuff about this case. I will caveat “everyone settles” with that has not typically happened unless or until it is clear one side is probably going to lose. The first Big East lawsuit in 2003 was settled once the other BCS conferences realized that losing an anti-trust lawsuit would be a lot more expensive than giving the Big East BCS status. Subsequent litigation have followed that path, save for the Alston case, which the NCAA stupidly decided to fight all the way to the Supreme Court, where it got its ass kicked badly.

There is no settlement path that I see with this FSU case. Either the ACC lets a couple of its bell cows leave, or it doesn't. I don't know how anyone turns that situation into a compromise.

Reaction Score
And a lot of FSU guys thought it was a good day for FSU...three issues heard,,,two ruled in favor of FSU...the third, personal jurisdiction...is postponed. The judge said "amend the filing to be more specific on the issue and we'll reconvene. He even instructed FSU lawyers on what he wanted to see in the amended filing...

Sure, the delay, probably makes the ACC happier...but they have a lot of fires to fight...FSU's appeal of the North Carolina court's venue position (will tie that up for a while), Clemson's suit in South Carolina, the ACC's suit vs Clemson in North Carolina. Lawyer catnip.

If these aren't settled, it could be 2026 before the courts finish suits and then their appeals.

Watching the ACC officiating this season in FSU and Clemson games will be interesting...here a hold, there a hold, everywhere a hold.
BC complained that they didn’t get hot water in locker rooms to shower when they left the Big East. This will ultimately be settled. FSU (and Clemson) will pay something to buy back their rights. It won’t be $500 million but it won’t be 0 either. As you say, actual litigation will drag out too long. And one never knows what will happen in the interim. 2-3 years is a long time. And suppose FSU has 2-3 bad years. It can happen. Maybe they end up Big 12 worthy rather than SEC worthy as they think they are now.

Reaction Score
BC complained that they didn’t get hot water in locker rooms to shower when they left the Big East. This will ultimately be settled. FSU (and Clemson) will pay something to buy back their rights. It won’t be $500 million but it won’t be 0 either. As you say, actual litigation will drag out too long. And one never knows what will happen in the interim. 2-3 years is a long time. And suppose FSU has 2-3 bad years. It can happen. Maybe they end up Big 12 worthy rather than SEC worthy as they think they are now.

I don't know....FSU's performance in the Orange Bowl must certainly have endeared them to the SEC. Goodness knows Georgia appreciated it ;)

Reaction Score
FSU's team decided a big blah was due (why play?)...half the starters didn't go to the bowl, the QB's didn't go...leaving a third string true freshman to play.

Only Michigan and Washington had more players invited to the NFL Combine. Those missing starters were the team.

Reaction Score
FSU's team decided a big blah was due (why play?)...half the starters didn't go to the bowl, the QB's didn't go...leaving a third string true freshman to play.

Only Michigan and Washington had more players invited to the NFL Combine. Those missing starters were the team.

Well, three things:

It was the Orange Bowl!

Georgia certainly showed up!

FSU should have been ashamed.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Then FSU should have informed the Orange Bowl and told them to reduce the check they were going to cut for FSU's participation as FSU was barely participating.

Reaction Score
Nah. The players opted out. And I can’t blame them. We’ll see more nfl bound opt outs in the future.

Reaction Score
Ah okay. I believe that Billy Budd has me blocked since I don't see his posts anymore.

The notion that a GOR is somehow rescinded by leaving the conference misses the point of the conveyance. It's like a car dealership deciding to terminate your three year lease after six months because it needs the car back.

As a rule contracts cannot be terminated merely because you've changed your mind and don't like what you agreed to. At least, not for free.

FSU liked this deal when it entered into it. Subsequently, it believes that its market value has changed and now wants to set aside the deal that it made FSU liked this deal when it entered into it. Subsequently, it believes that it's market value has changed and now wants to set aside the deal that it made disregarding every other party to that contract. Ultimately, they may be able to get those right back, but it won't be at no cost.

That big baby blocked you too?

I questioned one of his repeatedly bloated statements about the power of fsu. His reply was childish and I haven't seen him since, while our conversation disappeared into a black hole.

Baby took his ball and ran home.

Reaction Score

I questioned one of his repeatedly bloated statements about the power of fsu. His reply was childish and I haven't seen him since, while our conversation disappeared into a black hole.

You should have locked him in to a GOR first. I hear that they are iron clad.

Reaction Score

This is interesting in terms of which states she selected. She only picked some ACC-represented states, but not others. Trying to find a connection here ---- it isn't about party affiliation, and it isn't about who has the best chance to leave the ACC.

The Florida Attorney General (FSU, Miami) is asking for support from the following Attorneys General:

California (Stanford, Cal)
Georgia (Georgia Tech)
Kentucky (Louisville)
Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh)
South Carolina (Clemson)
Virginia (Virginia, Virginia Tech)

She did not ask for assistance from the following Attorneys General:

Indiana (Notre Dame)
North Carolina (UNC, NCST, Duke, Wake Forest)
New York (Syracuse)
Massachusetts (Boston College)
Texas (SMU)

Anyone figure out what they have in common? Maybe they have closer relationships with her than the others?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

This is interesting in terms of which states she selected. She only picked some ACC-represented states, but not others. Trying to find a connection here ---- it isn't about party affiliation, and it isn't about who has the best chance to leave the ACC.

The Florida Attorney General (FSU, Miami) is asking for support from the following Attorneys General:

Georgia (Georgia Tech)
Kentucky (Louisville)
South Carolina (Clemson)

Indiana (Notre Dame)
New York (Syracuse)
Texas (SMU)

Anyone figure out what they have in common? Maybe they have closer relationships with her than the others?
Went through the same exercise in my head and couldn't come up with anything. I agree it is an interesting question. Is it a list of schools who have a place to go, plus anticipated buyers remorse of the California schools?

(For what it's worth, asking other states to join and the letter made public, likely by one of the recipients, feels like a tacit admission of weakness.)

Reaction Score

Georgia (Georgia Tech)
Kentucky (Louisville)
South Carolina (Clemson)

Indiana (Notre Dame)
New York (Syracuse)
Texas (SMU)

I was thinking it was strange because most of the states she is asking have no interest in leaving, except for South Carolina and 1/2 Virginia. It looks like she went after the large publics since she was addressing attorney generals and maybe it doesn't apply to the privates. North Carolina had already passed some law or something so maybe she thought that wasn't necessary. It is strange, why not just send it to everyone.

Reaction Score
She wouldn't contact the North Carolia group...the AG reps the voters...and North Carolina and their four ACC teams have a lot invested in the conference.

Cuse and Boston College may seen as "captives" since the ACC may be their best spot...they may have an interest in holding the ACC together...same with SMU.

Reaction Score
I was thinking it was strange because most of the states she is asking have no interest in leaving, except for South Carolina and 1/2 Virginia. It looks like she went after the large publics since she was addressing attorney generals and maybe it doesn't apply to the privates. North Carolina had already passed some law or something so maybe she thought that wasn't necessary. It is strange, why not just send it to everyone.
Or at least everyone except Massachusetts.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
That's what UConn seemingly gets in every game against the ACC.

Then FSU should have informed the Orange Bowl and told them to reduce the check they were going to cut for FSU's participation as FSU was barely participating.
And despite that massive blowout, UConn's loss against Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl is more of a big deal. Our team was overwhelmed, but at least they fought. Other team, nah, they get a free pass for laying a massive dump.

Reaction Score

Me too......I think. If he has. I'm not sure I'll ever get over it :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom