OT: - Florida State to sue ACC over GOR | Page 21 | The Boneyard

OT: Florida State to sue ACC over GOR

Reaction Score
Anyone here? No. But look at our attendance when in the BCS and compare to when we were relegated.
Attendance held up until UConn football tanked. If you win people will come although playing regional rivals helps attendance. Look at FSU. Their attendance tanked with poor performance and it has since recovered with their performance.

Reaction Score
Attendance held up until UConn football tanked. If you win people will come although playing regional rivals helps attendance. Look at FSU. Their attendance tanked with poor performance and it has since recovered with their performance.
Yeah, but if you were In the Rent at start of the AAC days you saw the corners of the stadium being less full. Yes the losing expedited the emptying of the stadium, but losing the regional rivals of the BE and i believe BCS status as well brought an immediate hit. If you ask me the fans hung in longer than would should be viewed as reasonable.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but if you were In the Rent at start of the AAC days you saw the corners of the stadium being less full. Yes the losing expedited the emptying of the stadium, but losing the regional rivals of the BE and i believe BCS status as well brought an immediate hit. If you ask me the fans hung in longer than would should be viewed as reasonable.
Absolutely. AAC and old BE are apples and oranges. My Sister and brother in law are Rutgers grads, they would come to my house and we'd go to Rentschler for game and tailgate, dinner at Mohegan. We would go to their house, game in Piscataway(High Point?), dinner at a great Italian restaurant. UConn to AAC? Saw them one less time per year. Talked all the time with Brother in Law about Syracuse, Pitt and so on. Now, once in a while some vague question about respective schools football fortunes. He and his son and son in law go to Mich Rutgers games together(son is a Mich grad), he and his brothers go to UCLA-USC, niece at UCLA. One anecdotal story multiplied over and over up and down the East Coast. One can only imagine winning the Golden Ticket to the B1G. Amazing sporting event experience plus $$$$. Yes, it made a B1G difference.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. AAC and old BE are apples and oranges. My Sister and brother in law are Rutgers grads, they would come to my house and we'd go to Rentschler for game and tailgate, dinner at Mohegan. We would go to their house, game in Piscataway(High Point?), dinner at a great Italian restaurant. UConn to AAC? Saw them one less time per year. Talked all the time with Brother in Law about Syracuse, Pitt and so on. Now, once in a while some vague question about respective schools football fortunes. He and his son and son in law go to Mich Rutgers games together(son is a Mich grad), he and his brothers go to UCLA-USC, niece at UCLA. One anecdotal story multiplied over and over up and down the East Coast. One can only imagine winning the Golden Ticket to the B1G. Amazing sporting event experience plus $$$$. Yes, it made a B1G difference.
When Michigan played at the Rent, it was absolutely electric and if we had 70,000 seats it'd have been full. One can only dream of being in the B1G and having home games like that.

Reaction Score
The ACCN revenues peaked and they will get an increase with the in market ACCN rate in the Dallas and San Francisco media markets, but then revenues will begin to decline with cord cutting, the same math that is impacting ESPN. And, if schools do leave the ACC, they will lose in market fees for their markets.

You are missing the big picture here. FSU does not compare themselves to ACC schools (except maybe Miami and Clemson) but to SEC schools. That is who they recruit against who they aspire to compete with. They can not be in a $50 million annual deficit with the schools they perceive to be their peers.
The contract increases in the last 10 years, provided that ESPN renews the contract. If ESPN declines or decides to renegotiate the contract based on FSU leaving, then FSU could be liable for significant damages.

FSU is already in the top 10 revenue wise and even with a 30 million dollar deficit they will still be in the top 10. Money is not an issue at FSU.

Reaction Score
The contract increases in the last 10 years, provided that ESPN renews the contract. If ESPN declines or decides to renegotiate the contract based on FSU leaving, then FSU could be liable for significant damages.

FSU is already in the top 10 revenue wise and even with a 30 million dollar deficit they will still be in the top 10. Money is not an issue at FSU.
At least use facts. According to USA Today, FSU was ranked 15th for public school universities which doesn't include schools like Notre Dame and USC. When the new SEC and Big 10 contracts are factored in, FSU will not be in the top 25. Money is a big issue for FSU.

Reaction Score
At least use facts. According to USA Today, FSU was ranked 15th for public school universities which doesn't include schools like Notre Dame and USC. When the new SEC and Big 10 contracts are factored in, FSU will not be in the top 25. Money is a big issue for FSU.
Yeah i would think they know their financial situation as far as the what the future looks like better than anyone else. They want to remain upper echelon and know the road gets harder the longer they're in the ACC.

Reaction Score
I’m talking about all athletic revenue, not just TV money. FSU does not have a money problem.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’m talking about all athletic revenue, not just TV money. FSU does not have a money problem.
Well they super seem to think differently.

Reaction Score
FSU's athletic budget for 2023 was $172 million.

$76 million for football.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Villanova is a Nova in a different football universe...getting beaten by Monmouth, Richmond, Albany...

Yes...a very depleted FSU got beaten in the Orange Bowl...

I draw some hope from the fact that Clemson had 70 points scored on them in the Orange Bowl...and then tore off 11 straight seasons of double digit victories...and two national championships.

Reaction Score

Warchant: In a brief 10-minute meeting this morning, the FSU Board of Trustees approved a motion giving the university the ability to loan the athletics dept. money for “non-capital strategic initiatives.”​

renderTimingPixel.png

Reaction Score
Villanova is a Nova in a different football universe...getting beaten by Monmouth, Richmond, Albany...

Yes...a very depleted FSU got beaten in the Orange Bowl...

I draw some hope from the fact that Clemson had 70 points scored on them in the Orange Bowl...and then tore off 11 straight seasons of double digit victories...and two national championships.
This would help immensely. We need a Flutie-esque recruiting class while grabbing a young crazy coordinator with a vision for the Offense. Even then you have a small window to take advantage of "good fortune". Sustaining that "LUCK" is not feasible in our situation.

Luck is opportunity meeting preparation, We have been wildly unlucky, but need to be ready to take advantage of a confluence of events that opens peoples eyes(invest, invest, invest). The recruitment of Dan Orlovsky and ensuing results were a moment that we seemed to be taking advantage of. Then.....we all know what happened next. Can't let that moment go by if it ever occurs again.

Reaction Score
What pulled Clemson out was successful recruiting...after having 70 scored on them in the Orange Bowl, Clemson had successive recruiting classes ranked consistently in the top 15 or so...

Reaction Score
FSU has filed an amended complaint against the ACC.....

I guess FSU is devolving into the old throw everything possible out there in the hopes that something might stick approach. Pointing out that the PAC is better run (maybe it’s two schools are doing well?) might not be a winner. Pulling in Raycom and Swoffords kid to create some sensational headlines does not actually add value in a lawsuit unless they have an email stating “don’t fire Jr because of his dad”. It looks bad (and probably is in reality) but “looks” on its own is worthless.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I guess FSU is devolving into the old throw everything possible out there in the hopes that something might stick approach. Pointing out that the PAC is better run (maybe it’s two schools are doing well?) might not be a winner. Pulling in Raycom and Swoffords kid to create some sensational headlines does not actually add value in a lawsuit unless they have an email stating “don’t fire Jr because of his dad”. It looks bad (and probably is in reality) but “looks” on its own is worthless.
I think what they're going for is that I think what they're going for is that Swoffords actions constituted a breach fiduciary duty by the conference. But yeah, it appears to be a deliberate attempt at airing dirty laundry in an attempt to generate incentive to settle.

Reaction Score
There was no way to discuss Raycom without bringing Swofford into the discussion. Maybe the FSU legal team didn't want to lead with that and maybe try to win the case without those dirty facts. But the ACC amended complaint changed all that. And ACC malfeasance, and now, possible corruption with Swofford forcing ESPN to include Raycom (and his son Chad) is a main point. It cost the conference millions.

It's also interesting how this amended complaint makes it clear that it was Swofford pushing for the second GOR when everyone assumed that it was ESPN and that Swofford told members that ESPN had required the extension while they had not.

The ACC has been messaged..."We will shoot back".

My take is it is all about negotiating an exit...and probably before ACC and ESPN folks are deposed.

But, at any rate...FSU seems to have the gun decks manned and looks determined to not strike the flag even if the decks are awash.

Reaction Score
Where is the outrage ?

UNC BOT Chair weighs in...

"I think we all have an obligation to assess the financial realities and make the best decision based on those realities,” Preyer said. “That is what the Board of Governors outlined [on Wednesday]. And if the current financial model of the Atlantic Coast Conference doesn't improve, then it would cause real concern about how Carolina could continue to maintain its excellence in athletics."

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I understand the potential conflicts of interest with Swofford/Raycom/Swofford's kid (and in all candor, if a company I worked for was in the process of signing contracts where similar conflicts were possible, there would be language addressing this and possible side letters outlining what would and would not qualify as a breach), but why weren't there any complaints filed eight or nine years ago?

If FSU (or any other ACC school) viewed this as a legitimate problem it would have been addressed long ago. It appears that they're throwing as many allegations as possible out for public consumption to put their position in a better light in the court of public opinion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom