Florida State Taps J.P. Morgan For Institutional Money as Talks Advance With PE Firm | The Boneyard

Florida State Taps J.P. Morgan For Institutional Money as Talks Advance With PE Firm

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

Here we go

Reaction Score
If you have a kid in school at FSU, start looking for transfer opportunities like yesterday.

Private equity choads have never made a single thing that they touched better. Your kid will no longer be a student; he or she will be a ledger item on a greedy idiot's balance sheet.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Private equity has never made anything worse! This is a great idea!

Reaction Score
Do they even have an open invite to the B1G or SEC. It would be hilarious if they blew all of this cash and then were just out there.

awkward pulp fiction GIF

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Here we go

This is what the Dennis Dodds article was talking about. I posted it in Key Tweets half hour after it went live, but it was a key tweet. Note, the vision isn't just FSU. It's buying out several key programs, Oregon, Washington, Clemson, whoever is not in SEC or B1G, and building a conference from that.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This is what the Dennis Dodds article was talking about. I posted it in Key Tweets half hour after it went live, but it was a key tweet. Note, the vision isn't just FSU. It's buying out several key programs, Oregon, Washington, Clemson, whoever is not in SEC or B1G, and building a conference from that.

Why does this sound like what the top European soccer league clubs attempted a couple years ago?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Why does this sound like what the top European soccer league clubs attempted a couple years ago?
It's more like LIV Golf. The only reason you need the PE $ is the GOR and conference buyouts have to be funded. But the PE people would take a portion of the TV deal. The Conference wouldn't really just be a partnership of schools, it would be privately owned. Schools would lose a lot of control.

Reaction Score
It's more like LIV Golf. The only reason you need the PE $ is the GOR and conference buyouts have to be funded. But the PE people would take a portion of the TV deal. The Conference wouldn't really just be a partnership of schools, it would be privately owned. Schools would lose a lot of control.
And who would they play beside each other? The other schools can rally together and block them out entirely. FSU is just a petulant child at this point.

Reaction Score

Didn't even last two hours.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Is FSU going to LIV college sports?

Out of all the realignment, FSU has come out looking the absolute worst. Whining, pouting little children.

Reaction Score
Why not finance athletics off the back of students...FSU has an Athletics Student fee of $7.49 per credit hour...($749 per 100 hours).

If FSU upped their University Student fees to what a few others charge...it might take up a little slack.

Reaction Score
FSU thinks they are worth more than they are like 70% of the "power" teams. If you're not bringing national championships or a large TV market, then you are basically a freeloader. This is the only way conferences could work under the current model. A couple of breadwinners at the top to pay for all of the other schools that could disappear tomorrow with little impact.

Reaction Score
I don't mind FSU being the bad guy...the whining is over...this was declarative..they will do what it takes. It's that or fans grumble for the next ten years about how they were shafted by realignment.

FSU thinks they are worth more than they are like 70% of the "power" teams. If you're not bringing national championships or a large TV market, then you are basically a freeloader. This is the only way conferences could work under the current model. A couple of breadwinners at the top to pay for all of the other schools that could disappear tomorrow with little impact.

But FSU was the 15th most watched team in 2022

Reaction Score
I don't mind FSU being the bad guy...the whining is over...this was declarative..they will do what it takes. It's that or fans grumble for the next ten years about how they were shafted by realignment.

But FSU was the 15th most watched team in 2022
But are they really ready to do something? IMO their's no need to talk, if you have conviction, just do it

Reaction Score
Back in the old days of Jan 1 bowl games and voted on titles, I never imagined things would get this insane. I really miss being able to just watch games and not constantly hear about money.

Amen!

Reaction Score
I get what FSU is trying to do and I don't see anything illogical about it. That said, this is further evidence that major college athletics quite plainly and simply are heading to a professional sport franchise model. The other point I will make is I would not be at all surprised if this fails miserably. Why watch professional college football when you can watch the NFL. College sports was something very different than the NFL and that difference is being diluted imho.

pj

Reaction Score
Why does FSU need $300 million from private equity? Only if they are planning to buy the ACC network from ESPN and Raycom.

If they control the ACC network, then they control the media rights of their conference peers. They can say: free us from this grant of rights, or the ACC network is all FSU all the time, and your time slot is 4 am Monday morning.

And then they say: UNC, UVa, etc, you can go to B1G or SEC if you pay us $100 mn to buy out your GoR. It makes financial sense for the top ACC teams and the private equity groups get their money back.

I have to say, that would lead to an immensely entertaining negotiation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom