FLOOR GAME | The Boneyard

FLOOR GAME

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Specifically, just what is a "good" FLOOR GAME? I have always wondered how a player can be considered to have a "good " floor game , and end up with "no" stats. Or do people really mean " didn't make any mistakes"?

Reaction Score
Specifically, just what is a "good" FLOOR GAME? I have always wondered how a player can be considered to have a "good " floor game , and end up with "no" stats. Or do people really mean " didn't make any mistakes"?
Setting good picks, tipping a rebound to fellow player, dening entry passes,
setting up passes to the ultimate one who gets the assist, on and on no stats for that

Reaction Score
Setting good picks, tipping a rebound to fellow player, dening entry passes,
setting up passes to the ultimate one who gets the assist, on and on no stats for that
Thanks for your take. Not quite sure I understand " setting up passes to ultimate one who gets assist though"? If that's the case, everyone touching the ball would be doing that if the basket is made. And don't those players usually end up with some kind of stat? Rebound, steal , etc.? Just because thay are doing "so" many things right on the court?

Reaction Score
Thanks for your take. Not quite sure I understand " setting up passes to ultimate one who gets assist though"? If that's the case, everyone touching the ball would be doing that if the basket is made. And don't those players usually end up with some kind of stat? Rebound, steal , etc.? Just because thay are doing "so" many things right on the court?
Setting up passes specifically means, say the player with the ball at the high post
sees the player down low with position for an entry pass but not from that palyers angle, the pass goes to the correct side for the entry pass, thereby assisting the assistor. Now I'm confused

Reaction Score
Setting up passes specifically means, say the player with the ball at the high post
sees the player down low with position for an entry pass but not from that palyers angle, the pass goes to the correct side for the entry pass, thereby assisting the assistor. Now I'm confused
I'm confused too. But, to me that's just teamwork, and being part of the play. Just think it's an overrated term used a lot these days. We usually us the term for a specificic player. But, does that mean that the other players don't have a "good" floor game? I like the term TEAM PLAYER better.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I'm confused too. But, to me that's just teamwork, and being part of the play. Just think it's an overrated term used a lot these days. We usually us the term for a specificic player. But, does that mean that the other players don't have a "good" floor game? I like the term TEAM PLAYER better.

Ahem. The term "team" has been relegated to the trash bin in favor of "program." Thus, we admire good Program Players (note the alliterative touch), all of whom must be good Program-mates with good Program Spirit. A candidate for high political office mistakenly said he "took one for the team." He is clearly out of touch with current sports jargon. Ha-rumpf!

Back to you, Magic.

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
I immediately reacted to the title of this post as "being on the floor" - or "diving after the ball" to the floor! No one does it better than UCONN!!!

Reaction Score
Ahem. The term "team" has been relegated to the trash bin in favor of "program." Thus, we admire good Program Players (note the alliterative touch), all of whom must be good Program-mates with good Program Spirit. A candidate for high political office mistakenly said he "took one for the team." He is clearly out of touch with current sports jargon. Ha-rumpf!

Back to you, Magic.
I love it!

Reaction Score
Specifically, just what is a "good" FLOOR GAME?
To get technical, it's a measure of a players ability to handle the ball. Basically,
dribbling and passing. It's measured by a complicated stat called Pure Point Rating designed by someone from ESPN. While it's possible for a person with a good PPR to not get bookable stats, it's probably rare to do so. The would be likely to get assists and perhaps layups.

If you google Pure Point Rating, you'll probably get more info than you want.

Reaction Score
To get technical, it's a measure of a players ability to handle the ball. Basically,
dribbling and passing. It's measured by a complicated stat called Pure Point Rating designed by someone from ESPN. While it's possible for a person with a good PPR to not get bookable stats, it's probably rare to do so. The would be likely to get assists and perhaps layups.

If you google Pure Point Rating, you'll probably get more info than you want.
Thanks for the info Bestiarius. Iwould think that someone doing that many things right on the court would have to compile some stats. Not necessarily scoring, but, assists , rebounds, steals, at least.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
They do compile stats-- they're just not recorded by the official statistician. They ARE tracked by the graduate assistants.

Reaction Score

I think that you are onto something.

This season there have been a number of posts that have stated explicitly that so-n-so had a good floor game.

I have usually understood that to mean that the player hadn't made any errors/contributions that a stat sheet recognizes.

In a word, it is purely subjective. IMO, of course.

Peace,

John Fryer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member