Fixing Your Shot Over The Summer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fixing Your Shot Over The Summer

Reaction Score
He's just developing a shot now because he never needed it in HS. He could just hammer whoever Academy was playing physically.

Kevin Huerter is from the same area and was a 4 star, but was always a shooter. AJ was never that, never. His weakness acknowledged by "experts" when he was being recruited was his shot. He was a physical freak, slasher, big wing span, etc., but nobody claimed he could shoot consistently.

He can absolutely develop an outside shot, but he's in a tough spot, he shoots now and clangs, presumably there's someone waiting in the wings to take his spot - he can literally shoot himself out of PT. That pressure isn't unique to him, but when shooting isn't natural it's a hard go and certainly amps up the pressure on other parts of his game which I wouldn't be surprised to suffer a bit because he may press to make an impact there to counterbalance the outside shooting challenges.

I'm choosing to have patience, he'll figure it out, but it's not a snap your fingers change it really is an overhaul to change your game from a physically dominant one to a game with multiple layers to it.

Reaction Score
He's just developing a shot now because he never needed it in HS. He could just hammer whoever Academy was playing physically.

Kevin Huerter is from the same area and was a 4 star, but was always a shooter. AJ was never that, never. His weakness acknowledged by "experts" when he was being recruited was his shot. He was a physical freak, slasher, big wing span, etc., but nobody claimed he could shoot consistently.

He can absolutely develop an outside shot, but he's in a tough spot, he shoots now and clangs, presumably there's someone waiting in the wings to take his spot - he can literally shoot himself out of PT. That pressure isn't unique to him, but when shooting isn't natural it's a hard go and certainly amps up the pressure on other parts of his game which I wouldn't be surprised to suffer a bit because he may press to make an impact there to counterbalance the outside shooting challenges.

I'm choosing to have patience, he'll figure it out, but it's not a snap your fingers change it really is an overhaul to change your game from a physically dominant one to a game with multiple layers to it.
Well said @Northbound

He should continue to drive and get into the paint for floaters ( he had a few against CCSU ) , continue to rebound, assist and get out on the break when it arises and hopefully get to the line 4-6 times a game.

He needs to continue to play to his strengths now while he figures out and gets comfortable shooting threes. I would rather see him get at a minimum, a few 2 point buckets a game and a few FT’s a game now.

Besides Sanogo, upperclassmen have carried the load the first couple of games.
His time will come.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I think most of us have higher expectation for Andre than having him become an internet sports message board poster. ;)
I know we're only a couple games into the season, but they could cut off one of his hands (flip a coin) just to teach him a lesson. And then force him to use the remaining hand until the other one grows back.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I know we're only a couple games into the season, but they could cut off one of his hands (flip a coin) just to teach him a lesson. And then force him to use the remaining hand until the other one grows back.

@CTBasketball deserves at least the chance to prove himself though the games at Atlantis before we choose to cut off one of his hands.

Reaction Score
His shot needed a rebuild. I don’t think they forced that on him. Use one hand, square up to the basket from 3 feet and shoot with perfect form until you make 5 in a row, take two steps back and repeat. As progression allows, you will get out to three point range. He should be drilling set shots from 3 with one hand like they are free throws by now.

It’s a choice you make to rebuild a shot and for whatever reason, many coaches never see the value in doing it. In other cases, the player just refuses to work on it. If the above routine is followed daily, a good athlete will be a reliable shooter in a few months. I think part of the problem is that if you haven’t done it, you can’t appreciate it. I had a coach rebuild my shot when I was 14. I had an odd, self taught form prior to that. For whatever reason, I bought into his pitch that if I did it, I’d be the best shooter in town. I liked that idea and I shot everyday just as he told me. In about 6 months I was such a good shooter that if I was in a gym just about anywhere, people would stop what they were doing and just watch. I have helped quite a few kids do the same over the years. It isn’t hard, it takes commitment of time and discipline to follow the plan.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
@CTBasketball deserves at least the chance to prove himself though the games at Atlantis before we choose to cut off one of his hands.
Actually that’ll work - I can cash out my 401k fee-free because of a dismemberment/severe bodily injury citation in the laws. That way when the market crashes soon I can throw it all back in at the low.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
His weakness acknowledged by "experts" when he was being recruited was his shot. He was a physical freak, slasher, big wing span, etc., but nobody claimed he could shoot consistently.

ISTR that his HS coach raved about the improvement in his 3pt shooting coming into his senior year. Guess it was just salesmanship on his part, because if this is the majorly improved version, what came before it had to be otherworldly bad.

Reaction Score
ISTR that his HS coach raved about the improvement in his 3pt shooting coming into his senior year. Guess it was just salesmanship on his part, because if this is the majorly improved version, what came before it had to be otherworldly bad.
He did improve his 3 point shot from junior to senior year of HS, I think he shot over 40% from 3 his senior year. It just doesn't translate to college because the HS 3 point line is so much shorter, and he has much bigger defenders in college

Reaction Score
He did improve his 3 point shot from junior to senior year of HS, I think he shot over 40% from 3 his senior year. It just doesn't translate to college because the HS 3 point line is so much shorter, and he has much bigger defenders in college

They claimed he shot 45% from 3 his senior year. It was a blatant lie. Half the time the kids taking the stats spend the game on their phones. Only the Jersey kids seem to have accurate stats. Hawkins HS stats were way off too.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
You cannot realistically "fix your shot" over the summer. Muscle memory takes longer than that for even exceptionally coordinated individuals. And if you're going to commit a routine to muscle memory, you had better be sure it's worth the effort!

That's the problem with reinforcing bad habits...do it long enough and you get to the point where you can no longer "unlearn" it. This is BF Skinner 101.

It's my personal belief that the laws of physics dictate that there is one right way to use your body to shoot, and countless wrong ways.

Where does that leave Jackson? His shot mechanics are terribly flawed. Keep banging his head against bad habits or make an attempt to learn a new way and have to put up a seriously ridiculous lot of reps to try to catch up the muscle memory?

Reaction Score
You cannot realistically "fix your shot" over the summer. Muscle memory takes longer than that for even exceptionally coordinated individuals. And if you're going to commit a routine to muscle memory, you had better be sure it's worth the effort!

That's the problem with reinforcing bad habits...do it long enough and you get to the point where you can no longer "unlearn" it. This is BF Skinner 101.

It's my personal belief that the laws of physics dictate that there is one right way to use your body to shoot, and countless wrong ways.

Where does that leave Jackson? His shot mechanics are terribly flawed. Keep banging his head against bad habits or make an attempt to learn a new way and have to put up a seriously ridiculous lot of reps to try to catch up the muscle memory?
Yes you are right and after every season we have a lot of talk about how players on our team are going to fix their worst game flaws over the summer usually by going in the gym and shooting 1000 shots a day or by tutoring from Yoda Ray Allen. Guys can get stronger of course but these miraculous summer transformations don’t happen.

I do think the kid can hit 30% of his 3’s even with that form because he has practiced with it his whole hoop life.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Is it too ambitious to say he should model his game after Ben Simmons who also can’t shoot a lick but has carved out a pretty nice pro career? I think it’s a confidence thing with AJ’s shooting and hopefully he can work it out but in the meantime, he does a lot of other things really, really well…

Reaction Score
His shot needed a rebuild. I don’t think they forced that on him. Use one hand, square up to the basket from 3 feet and shoot with perfect form until you make 5 in a row, take two steps back and repeat. As progression allows, you will get out to three point range. He should be drilling set shots from 3 with one hand like they are free throws by now.

It’s a choice you make to rebuild a shot and for whatever reason, many coaches never see the value in doing it. In other cases, the player just refuses to work on it. If the above routine is followed daily, a good athlete will be a reliable shooter in a few months. I think part of the problem is that if you haven’t done it, you can’t appreciate it. I had a coach rebuild my shot when I was 14. I had an odd, self taught form prior to that. For whatever reason, I bought into his pitch that if I did it, I’d be the best shooter in town. I liked that idea and I shot everyday just as he told me. In about 6 months I was such a good shooter that if I was in a gym just about anywhere, people would stop what they were doing and just watch. I have helped quite a few kids do the same over the years. It isn’t hard, it takes commitment of time and discipline to follow the plan.

Is that you Jimmy Chitwood?

Reaction Score
That was supposed to be Jackson right? The reports that streamed in were that he basically lived in the gum and took a thousand shots a day. What happened? He passes on just about all the 3 point opportunity he had in the first 2 games. Summertime cures. That said Jackson is valuable to the team on the boards and passing of course and hopefully defense.

Not to be a tool, but did you really expect him to improve that much over one summer? His issue is just not just reps and practice, it's a mechanical problem to address, then reps and confidence. It's going to take some time before he's a useful perimeter shooter.

On a side note, have we really had anyone over the years who couldn't shoot and then could? Guys like Taliek, Ollie, KFree were bigtime workers and none of them ever became perimeter threats. Maybe Donny? He went from 1-3 from 3 his soph year to 23-64 his junior year. I'm not sure if that is because of a lack of ability or that the green light was not given just yet. Am I missing anyone?

Reaction Score
True.

Everything does depends on the competition and the quality of the defenders. Jimmer Fredette was otherworldly in high school not playing at a great level.

Reaction Score
I was on the fence as to whether that was a serious post or he was doing a bit.
Totally serious, but smiling as I typed, aware of the crap I'd take. The scene in the gym with that coach was straight out of Hoosiers. It is true though. My coach at the time tried to get everyone to form shoot daily, I was the only one that decided to follow through on it. One of the reasons I stuck with it was that coach set it up so I was allowed to use the gym any time it was available because I was working hard and getting results. In my school, that was a huge perk that I managed to keep all four years.

I've always been brutally honest here about my basketball skills. I was a great shooter with ridiculous range. I also could only drive one way and my court vision was lousy. All I saw was the hoop and never met a shot I didn't like. I won't tell you I was a great player, I wasn't, but I am still a good shooter. I have coached a bunch of kids to shoot including some very good AAU players. I've never understood how everyone doesn't love shooting a basketball. For me, it is the most relaxing and satisfying way to pass time and has been for most of my life. It is great therapy.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
His shot needed a rebuild. I don’t think they forced that on him. Use one hand, square up to the basket from 3 feet and shoot with perfect form until you make 5 in a row, take two steps back and repeat. As progression allows, you will get out to three point range............ I had a coach rebuild my shot when I was 14. I had an odd, self taught form prior to that. For whatever reason, I bought into his pitch that if I did it, I’d be the best shooter in town. I liked that idea and I shot everyday just as he told me. In about 6 months I was such a good shooter that if I was in a gym just about anywhere, people would stop what they were doing and just watch.

Totally serious, but smiling as I typed, aware of the crap I'd take. The scene in the gym with that coach was straight out of Hoosiers. It is true though. My coach at the time tried to get everyone to form shoot daily, I was the only one that decided to follow through on it.

I see what you did there. Well done.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
ajax is and will continue to be a superior boarder, mostly due to his superior leaping ability matched with a temperment unafraid to mix it up.
ajax has above average court vision, yet is learning that at this level, more than a few defenders have a brain to recognize the pass opportunity he sees, and will stick a paw in there to thwart it. assumedly, experience will teach him that. currently, his slip passes are mostly slop.
what he doesn't have, and may not grow out of, is hand size to match his frame.
9284227.png

look closely, or just watch him play on shooting offense, including dunks - the ball is always rolling around, leading to his excellent realization that he needs both to control the dang thing. two handed put back slams are his default, and on many one handers, the ball is usually the at or near cupped against forearm position, or windmill becuz he can keep his mitt under the ball till the very last moment. i expect very few left handed, fully palmed dunks. all this dovetails into his 'hold with both' until the last second field shots. this results in his needing the 'extra time' of a distant defender to gather himself, so the likelihood of regular rise up and j shots is diminished. he's new to this speed of game, so time may develop work arounds to these obvious physical limitations. obvious.
it's kind of weird that this hand size thing isn't regularly included in much of cbb discussion, but u can bet it's one the key analytical data points by pro gms.
he's also a high dribbler, diminishing his ability to bust a feint when both he and the defender start out in a stationery look.
forget him ever being a 'shooter,' but his energy and physical talent can make him a scorer, at times. ie 'opportunistic.'
nobody is guarding u, and there really isn't a shot clock when taking free throws, so this reality can't effect them, and he can take his time to 'gather' himself.
the ball never looks like a grape in his hands.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With the teams we have played so far, he probably realizes he can drive by his man pretty easily or make a good pass down low instead of shooting. We probably won’t know until we play someone decent that really forces him to shoot and cuts off his other options. I don’t want him shooting 3’s every time He’s somewhat open on the perimeter right now especially with Sanogo getting such great position. With that said, he is a little too unselfish and should shoot a couple

Well he can’t drive by his guy easily and they’re leaving him open for a reason on the perimeter. Hopefully he gains confidence but I don’t have any that he will.

Reaction Score
Until he goes 0-10 we gotta cut him some slack, poor form and all. In the meantime he rebounds, passes the lights out and is a disrupter out there and hopefully Hawkins will give us what we need,.

Reaction Score
That was supposed to be Jackson right? The reports that streamed in were that he basically lived in the gum and took a thousand shots a day. What happened? He passes on just about all the 3 point opportunity he had in the first 2 games. Summertime cures. That said Jackson is valuable to the team on the boards and passing of course and hopefully defense.
The kid just needs to shoot the dadGUM ball! Enough already. :mad:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom