Five Snubs From The Rankings | The Boneyard

Five Snubs From The Rankings

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
And UConn makes an appearance, along with Miami, Texas A&M, Xavier and Purdue. From USA Today:

Connecticut​

Big East player of the year contender Adama Sanogo (14.8 ppg, 8.8 rpg) is back to give the Huskies a dominant presence in the paint again. Coach Dan Hurley used the transfer portal to bolster the team's backcourt, hauling in dynamic guards Tristen Newton (East Carolina), Nahiem Alleyne (Virginia Tech) and Hassan Diarra (Texas A&M).

Just an FYI, kind of what we all thought.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
And UConn makes an appearance, along with Miami, Texas A&M, Xavier and Purdue. From USA Today:

Connecticut​

Big East player of the year contender Adama Sanogo (14.8 ppg, 8.8 rpg) is back to give the Huskies a dominant presence in the paint again. Coach Dan Hurley used the transfer portal to bolster the team's backcourt, hauling in dynamic guards Tristen Newton (East Carolina), Nahiem Alleyne (Virginia Tech) and Hassan Diarra (Texas A&M).

Meh. UConn is somewhere in the top group of also receiving votes. With only one proven scorer coming back from a first round exit NCAA team, that's not a horrible thing. This is especially true if voters took in to consideration Jackson's broken finger (Although I doubt 1/10th of the voters know that).

Win and things will take care of themselves.

Reaction Score
Meh. UConn is somewhere in the top group of also receiving votes. With only one proven scorer coming back from a first round exit NCAA team, that's not a horrible thing. This is especially true if voters took in to consideration Jackson's broken finger (Although I doubt 1/10th of the voters know that).

You make me wish i had two more thumbs. Spot on.

Reaction Score

Connecticut​

Guess Joey California is flying under the radar

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Sure, but as I pointed out in other threads, Duke returns one guy who played any minutes. To rank them #7 means assuming a bunch of freshman and transfers will be great. UConn gets no such benefit of the doubt, even though it looks like the transfers and freshmen are really great fits. I think we are being underrated. It doesn't matter, but it's the case.

Reaction Score
Sure, but as I pointed out in other threads, Duke returns one guy who played any minutes. To rank them #7 means assuming a bunch of freshman and transfers will be great. UConn gets no such benefit of the doubt, even though it looks like the transfers and freshmen are really great fits. I think we are being underrated. It doesn't matter, but it's the case.
If UConn were bringing in kids from the portal or freshmen that were ranked anywhere near as highly as the kids Duke has incoming next year, we would be ranked a lot higher too. It's pretty simple. Yes, recruiting rankings aren't exact. However, the more five stars you toss on the court the more likely you are to have a pretty decent squad. The ceiling for Duke right now appears much higher than UConn's and they've been successful recently, so even with the coaching change it's a no brainer they get the benefit of the doubt.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
If UConn were bringing in kids from the portal or freshmen that were ranked anywhere near as highly as the kids Duke has incoming next year, we would be ranked a lot higher too. It's pretty simple. Yes, recruiting rankings aren't exact. However, the more five stars you toss on the court the more likely you are to have a pretty decent squad. The ceiling for Duke right now appears much higher than UConn's and they've been successful recently, so even with the coaching change it's a no brainer they get the benefit of the doubt.
For the freshman class, yes, highly ranked. The transfers? Neither are as good as our top two and maybe top 3 transfers. And what they have coming back isn't as good as what we have either, with Sanogo, Hawkins, Jackson, Johnson.

Reaction Score
The track record of several top 5 recruits being awesome is much stronger than the track record of uptransfers from bad teams, top 75 sophs who didn't play, and top 60 freshmen in good fits

Reaction Score
Wish it really was a snub but we have questions with our mass lineup changes. Yes quality came in but we lost one to the NBA, another on the fringe of being in the NBA and our floor General. We also haven't proven anything the last 2 years in the tournament.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The track record of several top 5 recruits being awesome is much stronger than the track record of uptransfers from bad teams, top 75 sophs who didn't play, and top 60 freshmen in good fits
I get that Duke will probably be good. But it's a projection based on 3 top 5 kids, two top 30 kids, one good returning player, and a new coach. A lot could go wrong.

The post I replied to suggested the kids we brought in from the portal weren't as highly rated, and the truth is, they are much more highly rated (247 #18 vs #81 for Duke). As for freshmen, we've got Clingan at #52 and Karaban at #95. The sophomores are Hawkins at #51 and Johnson at #57.

I know why Duke gets the ranking, they're Duke. We are underrated a bit by any rational analysis.

Reaction Score
Wish it really was a snub but we have questions with our mass lineup changes. Yes quality came in but we lost one to the NBA, another on the fringe of being in the NBA and our floor General. We also haven't proven anything the last 2 years in the tournament.
I’d say we’ve proven something…..we’ve proven we don’t belong

Reaction Score
Not to mention K is gone

Would be like UConn ranked top 10 in 2012-13

Reaction Score
I get that Duke will probably be good. But it's a projection based on 3 top 5 kids, two top 30 kids, one good returning player, and a new coach. A lot could go wrong.

The post I replied to suggested the kids we brought in from the portal weren't as highly rated, and the truth is, they are much more highly rated (247 #18 vs #81 for Duke). As for freshmen, we've got Clingan at #52 and Karaban at #95. The sophomores are Hawkins at #51 and Johnson at #57.

I know why Duke gets the ranking, they're Duke. We are underrated a bit by any rational analysis.
3 top five kids is 3 more top five kids than Hurley has ever landed in his coaching career, let alone put on the court the same time. 5 top thirty kids is 4 more than he’s ever recruited as well, to keep it going. If we had Duke’s class coming in and weren’t ranked where they are we’d go nuts. We lost serious pieces from a team that lost in the first round of the tourney, brought back a few good to great guys, but also replaced a few with transfers that are good but not NBA level players. It’s pretty straightforward.

Reaction Score
Duke did get 3 of the top 5 in the 22 class and made it just a wee bit further in the tournament than we did last year. Sorry but the way we flamed out the past 2 years why should we get any benefit?

Reaction Score
A new CBB season is similar to golf.. All that matters isn't your last shot.. The last hole.. But the next shot..

Can we at least get through our first game vs Stonehill before we're all jumping off of a bridge?? Or not??

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A new CBB season is similar to golf.. All that matters isn't your last shot.. The last hole.. But the next shot..

Can we at least get through our first game vs Stonehill before we're all jumping off of a bridge?? Or not??
How long have you been on here? Oh, I see not long enough to know better. :)

Reaction Score
Rather harsh to say the least! I am guessing you are part of the nouveau riche fan base.
Lost to a meh Maryland team and got blown out by a 12 seed mid major. Is my statement not factual??

And I’ve been a Uconn fan since 1976 FYI. I’d bet good money you weren’t even alive then.

Reaction Score
Lost to a meh Maryland team and got blown out by a 12 seed mid major. Is my statement not factual??

And I’ve been a Uconn fan since 1976 FYI. I’d bet good money you weren’t even alive then.
We were not blown out by a 12 seed. It was tied with 2 minutes left and a 1 point game with 1:15 left.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom