First night interviews | The Boneyard

First night interviews

Reaction Score
There are short individual interviews of CW, Aubrey, Evina and Anna in the same Youtube channel as this one if you want to check it out.

Anna's English is amazingly good.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There are short individual interviews of CW, Aubrey, Evina and Anna in the same Youtube channel as this one if you want to check it out.

I wish these interviewers would get better mikes for a live gym. I miss a lot of what's said in the player interviews.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It seems he is really excited about Anna. and is surprised how big and strong she is in person over her tapes. and boy, is he in form as an interviewee. And it seems he said the ticket sales was better than any since 2008.

Reaction Score
Geno seems in a good place, and really looking forward to this season. 1 week from today, I will be in Gill Coliseum watching the 1st OSU WBB Game (Exhibition) of the 2019-20 season.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Geno seems in a good place, and really looking forward to this season. 1 week from today, I will be in Gill Coliseum watching the 1st OSU WBB Game (Exhibition) of the 2019-20 season.
Say hi to Scott for us and let him know we will be watching with GREAT interest this year and the years to come! Gotta keep all doors open...just sayin ;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Geno sounds calmly optimistic:

"I think the biggest change with be Meg. The way she looks. The way she thinks about the game. The way she practices."

"Anna's going help us a ton. In person she's bigger and stronger than you'd think by watching her on tape. She looks like a kid who has played in Europe."

"Aubrey is as good as athlete as we've had here."

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Yes, this "First Night" does get us all in an excited state (me included!). As I watched and listened to all the UConn clips-here is my take away:
1. Anna has unbelievable English language command! She also rocks side to side like KLS! Looking forward to her playing. My view is she will be the 5th Starter.
2. Evina seems very adroit at the interview as someone coming from another big time program with hoards of media and a fanatic fan base would be expected to behave. I do hope the NCAA realizes the stress they put on these students by dragging their feet on a decision. It's not THAT complicated.
3. Squeaks seems supremely confident and ready for a monster year!
4. Olivia will definitely show improvement and more offensive skills this year coming off a tremendous summer competing in the 3x3 and in the FIBA Americas with the quasi-varsity National Team.
5. Geno made some great measured comments and typical sound bites we would all expect. Notable to me was the point the Evelyn needed to step up her conditioning and attentiveness for this level. I am still not sure she will be a contributor. The top 6 were pretty clear: Crystal Dangerfield, MW, CW, ONO, Anna and Aubrey. Sad to hear no Batouly mention as I was hoping her health had improved :oops: ...
I heard Molly won the 3 point contest and that Olivia had dunked the ball (gosh I would love to see that in a game against ND and/or Baylor!!!!) at First Night, I do think Geno is still a tad hard on assessing this team against the truly Great ones this program has had as I do think 1-7 this team has as much if not more talent than any other team in the country. Some are very young and new to the program but we have all seen them compete at HS AA games, USA team tournaments and on the court against other WCBB teams so yes, I do believe. Now that my team has been officially eliminated from the Baseball playoffs :oops::oops::oops::mad: I can devote more time to my second sports passion! Go Huskies!!!! :)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Two weeks from today Geno starts the engine on the UConn Monster Truck, and breaks the seal on the 2019-2020 season with an exhibition home game against Division 2 Jefferson (Philadelphia). Finally the summer is over, and the smell of WCBB is in the air.

This team will experience a lot of highs this season. We’re going to see some unbelievable plays from our girls/team that will make us shout with joy and approval. A couple of them will even make Geno smile. Two weeks people, two short weeks. Like former NY Jets linebacker Bart Scott once said, can’t wait. :D

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Some thoughts:

Christyn: Man she is just charming. I smile every time I hear her talk.

Anna: Agree that her language skills are impressive. There is little to no "processing time" translating from English to Polish and back."

Reaction Score

"I think the biggest change with be Meg. The way she looks. The way she thinks about the game. The way she practices."

"Anna's going help us a ton. In person she's bigger and stronger than you'd think by watching her on tape. She looks like a kid who has played in Europe."

He almost started to say "the best athlete" then caught himself and said that there has been no one better, which means she is "as good as Gabby or better" (she is taller). That's about as complimentary as he gets talking about freshmen.

Reaction Score
Anyone know anything about the little girl who practicing behind Ana in the interview? I think she is class of 2030...

Reaction Score
Anyone know anything about the little girl who practicing behind Ana in the interview? I think she is class of 2030...

They had a young boy and girl as sort of mascots for the men and women. Not sure of their stories but that little girl can dance.

Reaction Score
Here's Geno with some observations on this year's roster.

In my mind, the most important thing is that Geno retains his enthusiasm for the new season. He does seems really energized, so check that box. Also, sounds as if he expects the team to compete at the highest level. Aside from the newbies, UConn has the core of Danger, Megan, Christyn, and Liv. Who'll be the 5th starter? Stay tuned. It should be fun.
Oh, the delay in notifying Evina about the season is appalling. What a bunch of jerks @ the NCAA.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
They had a young boy and girl as sort of mascots for the men and women. Not sure of their stories but that little girl can dance.
That was “Daniella.” That little cutie stole the show. :p

Carnac

Reaction Score

Query: now that we have been formally introduced to the four new members of the team, which one do you think will have the most impact for UConn this season? Anna gets my vote. I think it’s very possible she’s the 5th starter. That will be decided the next two weeks in practice. Geno usually announces the starting five a day or two before the first exhibition game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Query: now that we have been formally introduced to the four new members of the team, which one do you think will have the most impact for UConn this season? Ania gets my vote.

I'd also say her, at least initially. But Aubrey is being pushed by Geno so he must see something and that could change in January. In fact there are so many new roles that it's impossible to predict. I like that. We are going to see a lot of combinations. And for UConn a rather light early schedule gives them time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom