First Coach Firing Of The Season | The Boneyard

First Coach Firing Of The Season

Reaction Score
Manhattan fires Steve Masiello days before start of season. Was Masiello in trouble at another program prior to landing the Manhattan job?

He's been at Manhattan since 2011 so anything he did at prior jobs (assistant with Pitino at Louisville - so you know there are some bones buried there!) was a long time ago. He did get tripped up in 2014 when USF hired him only to find out that he lied that he had a degree from the University of Kentucky and rescinded the offer. Manhattan took him back on the condition he finish his degree, which he did.

So something strange must have just happened. Sounds like the players are pissed.

So will they go after Kimani? Should he wait for a better job?

Reaction Score
Should he wait for a better job?
Nicola Sturgeon Scotland GIF by Yes

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Was Masiello in trouble at another program prior to landing the Manhattan job?

After Manhattan qualified for the 2014 NCAA and gave Kentucky a scare, he turned in is resignation and accepted the job at South Florida. But they discovered that he'd never graduated from college, despite claiming to be a KY grad on his application. He went back and got the degree before rejoining Manhattan.

Reaction Score
He should wait for a better job. Guy's got chops.

Good basketball acumen and relates to the players. Maybe I'm biased by the video clip, but I was impressed how he moved his eyes and followed the action during the practice, and projected control without berating the players. Made some pretty good passes too.

Of course, he should stay a few more years to sharpen his skill and build some more credit for the success of the team this year and the next. :)

Reaction Score
He's been at Manhattan since 2011 so anything he did at prior jobs (assistant with Pitino at Louisville - so you know there are some bones buried there!) was a long time ago. He did get tripped up in 2014 when USF hired him only to find out that he lied that he had a degree from the University of Kentucky and rescinded the offer. Manhattan took him back on the condition he finish his degree, which he did.

So something strange must have just happened. Sounds like the players are pissed.

So will they go after Kimani? Should he wait for a better job?

I will be very interested to see which coach signs up for this gig next year at a school and for an AD that acted like this. Maybe they’re justified in letting him go (doubtful?), but the optics on this are terrible. This team was supposed to be good this season. I feel really bad for their fans and players. If the players have a good relationship with the assistant taking over, I could see them staying once they have a chance to take it all in, despite initial reports of so many leaving.

Reaction Score
I will be very interested to see which coach signs up for this gig next year at a school and for an AD that acted like this. Maybe they’re justified in letting him go (doubtful?), but the optics on this are terrible. This team was supposed to be good this season. I feel really bad for their fans and players. If the players have a good relationship with the assistant taking over, I could see them staying once they have a chance to take it all in, despite initial reports of so many leaving.
There just has to be something there that’s forcing their hand. Either that or supreme incompetence in the athletic department.

Reaction Score
Manhattan has NINE fifth-year seniors, eight of which returned for their extra covid year.

I feel bad for all of them and I wouldn’t blame any of them to transfer out, especially since many might already have degrees.

On Sunday, I read a really sweet article on how preseason POY Jose Perez feels like Masiello was like a father to him. He’s already hit the portal:

Reaction Score
Former Marquette wing and Preseason MAAC Player of the Year Jose Perez is the first Jasper to hit the portal.

According to various tweets, Oregon, Mississippi State and Memphis are in "heavy pursuit" of Perez. In total, at least 11 high-majors have reached out.

The 6'5 220 Perez was a ball dominant post-threat for Manhattan, averaging 18.9 ppg and 4.5 apg.

Reaction Score
I can’t even begin to guess at the process to determine when any of these transfers would be eligible to play. It could be anywhere from after the first semester ends to next season. And if this is the COVID year for anyone, do they get next year, too?

Reaction Score
After Manhattan qualified for the 2014 NCAA and gave Kentucky a scare, he turned in is resignation and accepted the job at South Florida. But they discovered that he'd never graduated from college, despite claiming to be a KY grad on his application. He went back and got the degree before rejoining Manhattan.
Give the guy credit. At least he’s smarter than “Fast Eddie” Jordan, of Rutgers and the NBA who lied to RUTGERS about having a degree from RUTGERS (and incredibly got away with it for a short period of time).

Reaction Score
Manhattan has NINE fifth-year seniors, eight of which returned for their extra covid year.

I feel bad for all of them and I wouldn’t blame any of them to transfer out, especially since many might already have degrees.

On Sunday, I read a really sweet article on how preseason POY Jose Perez feels like Masiello was like a father to him. He’s already hit the portal:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom