Finishing above .500 still possible | The Boneyard

Finishing above .500 still possible

Reaction Score
I know that there’s no need or interest in being optimistic, however it would be great to finish 4-3 and go into the AAC tournament reasonably strong. The match ups at home are favorable but their away games are brutal. Is it possible to finish OK? The program needs any post season including NIT. Just some random thoughts which I could have waited to share tomorrow. If you prefer, wait until tomorrow to respond or not at all. Cheers

Reaction Score
Being over .500 is a requirement for the NIT but it definitely doesn't mean we'd be invited

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Not exactly what most fans expected before the season.

Reaction Score
We still thave a chance to win the AAC tournament, and the NCAA tournament for that matter. So there’s that.

Also, our upcoming road games aren’t brutal. WE’RE brutal. If we were a halfway decent team, we’d be looking forward to those games as opportunities to build our resume with a signature win or two.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
That is my hope. Finish above .500, go to a tournament and win a couple if games to give the team positive momentum for next season.

Brutal season after the four defections, team just starting to play efficiently in the Oregon win and first half of Michigan State game then with AG...going into a tailspin again...playing better with the UCF and Tulane wins...then losing TL and another tailspin. Losing Eric Cobb also hurt. He was starting most games, played physical defense, rebounded and was better than DO. Too many things go wrong and confidence sags.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was looking at our remaining schedule and think we might win 2 more games if we play to our potential. Because our potential is not very good. There is not one facet of the game that this team does well.
We are not exceptionally quick
We can’t shoot
I doubt we could outmuscle the women
We can’t rebound. On offense we stand around after we shoot so it’s easy for our opponent to rebound and then beat us in transition
We can’t defend the 3
We foul often when trying to defend interior
And our team has not shown much improvement in any of those areas since the start of the season.
“Quite Frankly I’m a little surprised we are .500

Edit: Free throw shooting is our one positive

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I know that there’s no need or interest in being optimistic, however it would be great to finish 4-3 and go into the AAC tournament reasonably strong. The match ups at home are favorable but their away games are brutal. Is it possible to finish OK? The program needs any post season including NIT. Just some random thoughts which I could have waited to share tomorrow. If you prefer, wait until tomorrow to respond or not at all. Cheers

Any positives would be good. Once Gilbert went down an NIT berth was the best we could hope for. It would be nice to achieve the best possible outcome and gain some hope for next year.

I agree with these two gentlemen. Any post season would be a good experience for the freshmen AND losing Gilbert sealed our fate.

Reaction Score
I was looking at our remaining schedule and think we might win 2 more games if we play to our potential. Because our potential is not very good. There is not one facet of the game that this team does well.
We can’t shoot
We can’t rebound. On offense we stand around after we shoot so it’s easy for our opponent to rebound and then beat us in transition
We can’t defend the 3
And our team has not shown much improvement in any of those areas since the start of the season.

Tulsa and ECU? So 2-5. I think if we go 3-3 it’s front page news.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
We can’t shoot
We can’t defend the 3

So basically you're agreeing with KO:
"We gotta do better."

Reaction Score
I agree with these two gentlemen. Any post season would be a good experience for the freshmen AND losing Gilbert sealed our fate.
Does the CBI still exist? How about college insider tournament? Myself, I would hope that we have enough dignity to decline invitations to that kind of event.

Reaction Score
After watching the final minutes of last night's game, I'm beginning not to care.

Reaction Score
After watching the final minutes of last night's game, I'm beginning not to care.

Yeah have to agree.

One of the biggest issues I have is the players also. I'm watching Vital and Adams clowning around outside the huddle during a time out inside the 2 minute mark. Do they realize they really have no right to do that seeing where they are in UConn history? I get it some rolls down from leadership and all that crap, but these kids are so happy they just made a couple of plays they aren't even listening to the coach (his fault no doubt pull them by the ears and sit them down) but this is what we have. Vital gets excited he made a steal and gets fouled then dunks it 3 seconds after the call and is fist pumping - really? Do you know you guys suck? How about you guys close the game out like a real team instead of allowing a crappy team like USF have a wide open 3 at the end of the game to tie and go to OT? They are clueless and they are the leaders.:eek:

Weird coach, weird team, weird players - not exactly UConn basketball.

EDIT: By no means taking away how badly this team has been coached!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm still somewhat surprised that people say the Gilbert injury sealed our fate...we're basing our fate off a kid we saw play in what -- 6 games? He might be good -- but to point to him as the reason for our struggles this year is a bit of a stretch.
We scored 70 points in the first four games with Gilbert playing. We scored 40 points in a half twice in those games.

He was hurt in game five, since we have scored 70 points twice (without over time). And we have scored 40 points in a half twice, the second half garbage time against Nova and Arkansas.

His loss was HUGE.

Reaction Score
@Wichita - Loss
Tulsa - Toss-up
@ ECU - Win
@ Cincy - Loss
Memphis - Win
Temple - Loss
@ Houston - Loss

There are 3 definite losses remaining : @Wichita, @ cincy, @Houston

Tulsa is playing better basketball recently and we still suck. that game is very much a toss-up. We generally play well at home against Memphis so I'll be generous and give us a W there. If the rumors are true Dunphy could be coaching for his job when Temple visits Feb 28th. They are a much more athletic team and can shoot better than us. Sorry but I don't see us finishing above .500

Reaction Score
@Wichita - Loss
Tulsa - Toss-up
@ ECU - Win
@ Cincy - Loss
Memphis - Win
Temple - Loss
@ Houston - Loss

Tulsa is playing better basketball recently and we still suck. that game is very much a toss-up. We generally play well at home against Memphis so I'll be generous and give us a W there. If the rumors are true Dunphy could be coaching for his job when Temple visits Feb 28th. They are a much more athletic team and can shoot better than us. Sorry but I don't see us finishing above .500

Tulsa - Toss-up = Agreed
@ ECU - Win - on the road, with these Huskies, anything can happen. Not so sure.
@ Cincy - Loss - agreed, ugly loss at that
Memphis - Win - are you so sure? after getting SPANKED by memphis, I am not so confident.
Temple - Loss - agreed
@ Houston - Loss - agreed.

Reaction Score

If losing one guy who has played a handful of games sealed the team's fate, the coach did a terrible job of assembling the roster.

Reaction Score
Let's put it this way, if they finish below .500 again, we are going to get scorched for finishing with a losing record in back to back seasons for the first time since (???). I can see ESPN Stats & Info, Bleacher Report, SB Nation, etc. yelling it from every mountaintop and burying KO even further. For his sake, I hope he is able to reach what is a very low bar that is beneath this program.

Reaction Score
We scored 70 points in the first four games with Gilbert playing. We scored 40 points in a half twice in those games.

He was hurt in game five, since we have scored 70 points twice (without over time). And we have scored 40 points in a half twice, the second half garbage time against Nova and Arkansas.

His loss was HUGE.

But those games were against Stonybrook, Colgate, BU, and Oregon. 3/4 games against cupcakes -- and even then we had some difficulties finishing them off. I'm sorry, but I just don't buy a healthy Gilbert as the big factor some do.

Reaction Score
@Wichita - Loss
Tulsa - Toss-up
@ ECU - Win
@ Cincy - Loss
Memphis - Win
Temple - Loss
@ Houston - Loss

I wouldn’t be so sure that we beat ECU @ their home court. We lost last year with a better team and they did play is tough at home this year. I would put that more of a toss up game at best.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom