Final Attendance Post for NCAAT 2023 | The Boneyard

Final Attendance Post for NCAAT 2023

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Congratulations on an ALL-TIME Record of Post Season Attendance! The 2 Regional Format attracted 81,234 Fans, the next highest since 2013 was 2014 with 72,246.

While the Final Four has always sold out in the big arena's the Sweet 16 Regional games have had varying degrees of success so the NCAA decided to go to the 2 region format this year and for the next 3 years.

From an average attendance perspective, the 4 regional format averaged 6.965 fans per session since 2013 (8 years-2013, '14, '15. '16, '17, '18, '19, '22) while the 2 region format this year averaged 10,154. Great job WCBB Fans.
2024 will be Albany/Portland, Ore Final Four in Cleveland
2025 will be Birmingham, AL/Spokane, WA and Final Four in Tampa
2026 will be Fort Worth, TX/Sacremento, CA and Final Four in Phoenix
Let's debate the merits of all the 2026 city choices later as the NCAA seems to ignore it's core fan base of the East Coast completely with these choices.
Here's the 2023 numbers:

WCBB NCAAT.png

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
All the naysaying about the 2 regional format didn't exactly hold up. Especially the dire predictions about attendance for Seattle.
I am not sure what to really make of the 2 region effort. While the attendance improvement was impressive, I still think the NCAA had hoped for more. They put three current attendance titans in Seattle and a fourth perennial fan group with Iowa, UConn and Louisville with Tennessee a they only averaged 10.1K fans. That is a tad disappointing. In Greenville, they had SC, LSU to anchor that SEC locale yet they too could not match SC seasons attendance numbers. As noted by some posters (@Phil) I think the NCAA needs to lower the cost a bit as let’s face it, the real revenue is from TV and having a packed house of 14,000 fans is awesome.
Seattle had some sections completely curtained off and the VPI and tOSU Final on Monday did not have the same vibe as the Iowa/Louisville game despite the tickets “sold” vs. in attendance numbers.
Also, I am irritated that in 2026 Fort Worth, Sacremento AND Phoenix were all selected as West of the Mississippi locales. Really? I want to give a piece of my mind to the Committee knuckleheads who agreed to that.
I do think the larger cities afford easier travel and access so maybe we can build on this set up next year.

Reaction Score
I don't think the NCAA picks the cities, I think the cities pick the NCAA.

Reaction Score
All the naysaying about the 2 regional format didn't exactly hold up. Especially the dire predictions about attendance for Seattle.
While I'm glad it was successful, I selfishly hate it because I have no desire to travel all over for anywhere other than the FF. Yes, UConn didn't ALWAYS get sent to Albany, but they usually did, and I always made a point of going. That's a much easier toll on my wallet than all the other upcoming sites.

I will be going to Albany in 2024, obviously, but unless I end up with a money tree in my backyard I simply can't afford it. :oops:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Also, I am irritated that in 2026 Fort Worth, Sacremento AND Phoenix were all selected as West of the Mississippi locales. Really?
I was so used to these kind of events not being west of the Mississippi for so long that I'm kinda shocked by the huge swing of the pendulum. I would expect it to swing back the other way soon. But I get your frustration.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
You wanna increase the game attendance then you play the games where you will get attendance. You wanna increase the money. Play will you will draw. Right now you draw near UConn SC Tenn Iowa Those of you west of the Mississippi tell me where you will draw. IF the NC was played in NY you would have a sellout and price may not matter

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Seattle has a great WBB fan base because of the Storm, more than because of UW. They had lots of UConn fans and bus loads of people from Iowa. Plus they have a green $1 billion arena. I’m not surprised that they drew well.

Reaction Score
You wanna increase the game attendance then you play the games where you will get attendance. You wanna increase the money. Play will you will draw. Right now you draw near UConn SC Tenn Iowa Those of you west of the Mississippi tell me where you will draw. IF the NC was played in NY you would have a sellout and price may not matter
Apparently that's what they did. The two site regionals smashed a 20 year old attendance record. I really don't understand these comments on attendance. It seems to me people are indignant about not being able to attend the games and are using attendance as the fall guy. By the way, after attending the games on Saturday my friend and I made our way across the street to a bar in Seattle to watch the UC - Gonzaga gamd and sat down next to two UConn fans who also attended the games. One was from VA the other from Willimantic. So I guess if there's a will, there's a way.

Reaction Score
I was in Greenville and there was a wide disparity between paid and actual attendance except for SC’s final game. Even that was about 4/K short. Being spoiled by being in Bridgeport or Albany these actual numbers were a let down. At least next year in Albany I expect the place to be rocking.

Reaction Score
Seattle outdrew Greenville. You are clearly missing something here.
That is not very impressive for Greenville given they had a local favorite and the #1 overall seed. I'm sure that over time they will learn which sites are best for attendance, travel etc., and while I understand they will want to move the finals around the country, they might settle on a more limited proven group of regional sites.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I am not sure what to really make of the 2 region effort. While the attendance improvement was impressive, I still think the NCAA had hoped for more. They put three current attendance titans in Seattle and a fourth perennial fan group with Iowa, UConn and Louisville with Tennessee a they only averaged 10.1K fans. That is a tad disappointing. In Greenville, they had SC, LSU to anchor that SEC locale yet they too could not match SC seasons attendance numbers. As noted by some posters (@Phil) I think the NCAA needs to lower the cost a bit as let’s face it, the real revenue is from TV and having a packed house of 14,000 fans is awesome.
Seattle had some sections completely curtained off and the VPI and tOSU Final on Monday did not have the same vibe as the Iowa/Louisville game despite the tickets “sold” vs. in attendance numbers.
Also, I am irritated that in 2026 Fort Worth, Sacremento AND Phoenix were all selected as West of the Mississippi locales. Really? I want to give a piece of my mind to the Committee knuckleheads who agreed to that.
I do think the larger cities afford easier travel and access so maybe we can build on this set up next year.
It wasn't so much as the NCAA set the ticket prices too high, they didn't reserve enough tickets for the teams so there were only exorbitantly priced secondary market tickets.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
That is not very impressive for Greenville given they had a local favorite and the #1 overall seed. I'm sure that over time they will learn which sites are best for attendance, travel etc., and while I understand they will want to move the finals around the country, they might settle on a more limited proven group of regional sites.
Greenville has a smaller arena. After the NCAA/media, there were maybe 13,000 available seats, most of which were bought up by bots/scalpers and were ridiculously priced.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom