Fiery Hurley | The Boneyard

Fiery Hurley

Reaction Score
Love Hurley's passion and Providence fans completely deserve the 'rebuttals'.

Of course we all also love and revere Jim Calhoun and see a similar combative passion in Hurley. I agree with those citing Hurley's Tech vs Providence as very Calhoun-esque in its timing. Maybe true, and a nice sign as it seems Hurley has modulated his behavior towards refs over the past 2 seasons. The national championship validation could be part of calming Hurley's interactions with refs, although it appeared to have occurred after Nova last year. Also now refs/opposing coaches give him more respect.

It struck me that Calhoun's other parallel ongoing fire also came out re: Providence, though Calhoun's viral outbursts were most famously with reporters vs Hurley's interactions with some fans this season. So wondering if Hurley has some demons with respect to fans? One could guess that he heard "you are not Bobby" an awful lot during his playing career.

Interestingly, Bobby Hurley won back to back NCAA championships. Extra motivation to shut them demons up once and for all?!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that the refs respect Hurley anymore than they did before the NC.
I think DH knew he had to simmer down and has not been dipping into the name calling bag anymore.

Reaction Score
Love Hurley's passion and Providence fans completely deserve the 'rebuttals'.

Of course we all also love and revere Jim Calhoun and see a similar combative passion in Hurley. I agree with those citing Hurley's Tech vs Providence as very Calhoun-esque in its timing. Maybe true, and a nice sign as it seems Hurley has modulated his behavior towards refs over the past 2 seasons. The national championship validation could be part of calming Hurley's interactions with refs, although it appeared to have occurred after Nova last year. Also now refs/opposing coaches give him more respect.

It struck me that Calhoun's other parallel ongoing fire also came out re: Providence, though Calhoun's viral outbursts were most famously with reporters vs Hurley's interactions with some fans this season. So wondering if Hurley has some demons with respect to fans? One could guess that he heard "you are not Bobby" an awful lot during his playing career.

Interestingly, Bobby Hurley won back to back NCAA championships. Extra motivation to shut them demons up once and for all?!
I seem to remember UConn fans being pretty tough on him when he played at Seton Hall. Danny,Danny…

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I seem to remember UConn fans being pretty tough on him when he played at Seton Hall. Danny,Danny…

The only real lesson Danny needs to learn is "Sparrowhawk!" Never acknowledge a heckler, it'll only get worse.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The title didn't throw me, but the discussion may overlap with things that showed up in a thread that got locked this morning.

That probably portends a combination of interest, passion, and divergent opinion that may or may not feature us showing our best sides until we actually a game-a-day to root for and dissect.

Reaction Score
The only real lesson Danny needs to learn is "Sparrowhawk!" Never acknowledge a heckler, it'll only get worse.
Maybe he wants it or needs it. Uses it as fuel for himself or his team.

Reaction Score
No question that Danny has the eye of the tiger. It's got to be tough to be hearing crap from behind the bench/in the stands for a coach and their players for the whole game-- Especially BE away games . The adrenalin rush immediately following a game takes awhile to subside and I'm sure everyone is still amped up making their way to the locker room.

There's a reason why Dan was surrounded by security as he exited Amica the other day after the W. More for his protection than an over-served Providence fan.

Sometimes the best thing to do is to ignore the BS and walk away. Not sure Dan has found that switch yet. I do think he's improved significantly re: his in-game sideline behavior so as not to be a distraction to the team.

Let's go get some more hardware in the City.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom