Feb 5th Polls | The Boneyard

Feb 5th Polls

Reaction Score
The consensus on twitter seems to think we aren’t a very strong number 1. Just keep winning.
On one hand I get it. Purdue has a better resume and Houston is #1 in the analytics. So by default how are we the best.

But we're a really, really good team. We've won 10 in a row in a tough Big East, including 4 away games against top 50 KenPom teams. Since becoming fully healthy, we've been #1 in the analytics as well, which is something most people don't consider.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
On one hand I get it. Purdue has a better resume and Houston is #1 in the analytics. So by default how are we the best.

But we're a really, really good team. We've won 10 in a row in a tough Big East, including 4 away games against top 50 KenPom teams. Since becoming fully healthy, we've been #1 in the analytics as well, which is something most people don't consider.
I was confused at first because we played a really tough OOC. But looking at the rankings now it didn’t seem to age now.

We still beat top 4 UNC by double digits but I also see Purdue now has 6 or 7 wins against the top 20 which is crazy.

Reaction Score
Does beating St. John's at MSG by 13 w/o Karaban warrant losing three first place votes or am I nitpicking?
I think it's more giving Purdue credit for a road win at Wisconsin, who is better than St. John's (though plummeting in their own right).

Reaction Score
I was confused at first because we played a really tough OOC. But looking at the rankings now it didn’t seem to age now.

We still beat top 4 UNC by double digits but I also see Purdue now has 6 or 7 wins against the top 20 which is crazy.
The problem with our OOC (not the fact that we played #350 instead of #250, which is a ridiculous argument to downgrade us) is that the marquee wins, besides UNC, fell flat on their face.

Texas was top 20 and then fell out (though have a few nice wins lately).
Gonzaga fell off a cliff and might not even make the Tournament.
Indiana fell off a cliff.

Reaction Score
The consensus on twitter seems to think we aren’t a very strong number 1. Just keep winning.
In the sense that we have Q1 wins that don’t feel Q1 (@Nova, @St Johns, @Xavier), I get it

But we smacked Texas/Zaga/UNC by double digits each, lost by 4 @Kansas, and haven’t lost since December 20 in one of the best conferences in America. 20-2, we are definitely #1

Purdue has a case. But they were #1 and lost to Northwestern. And that was the Northwestern team that went on to lose to Iowa/Rutgers, not the Northwestern team that was beating Wisconsin and almost Illinois last week. That loss matters

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The problem with our OOC (not the fact that we played #350 instead of #250, which is a ridiculous argument to downgrade us) is that the marquee wins, besides UNC, fell flat on their face.

Texas was top 20 and then fell out (though have a few nice wins lately).
Gonzaga fell off a cliff and might not even make the Tournament.
Indiana fell off a cliff.
Yeah that Gonzaga win especially was suppose to be a real big road win for us. Sucks because we went out of our way to build a super OOC just for everyone else to drop the ball.

Reaction Score
Yep. Pedal to the metal. Danny should use this as grist for the mill. Disrespected, not a blueblood, overrated, haven’t played anyone, not deserving of #1, yadda, yadda. I guess we just have to break every team we play by 30+ points.

Reaction Score
The hi/low column is always interesting.
Why?
That's not the coaches highest and lowest rankings for the week.
That's our highest rank for the year and our lowest rank. Ours hasn't changed in weeks.

Reaction Score
Granted I am not reading CBB twitter but seemingly every analyst/podcaster of repute has us either #1 or in a separate tier alongside Purdue. Twitter is all noise and mostly clowns.

This. The writers have us #1, the coaches have us #1, analytics would have us #1 if they adjusted for injuries, and people here pay attention to what people say on Twitter as if it matters?

I'm glad I'm old. This has become a very strange world. Especially since it doesn't matter anyway because every team in the conversation will be in the Tourney in March anyway.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Why?
That's not the coaches highest and lowest rankings for the week.
That's our highest rank for the year and our lowest rank. Ours hasn't changed in weeks.

Because you can see that half the current top 25 wasn't ranked at the beginning if the season.

The talking heads, bloggers, coaches and others with votes in these polls are weatherman level bad with their predictions amd analysis.

You don't have to find it interesting but I do.

Reaction Score
Does beating St. John's at MSG by 13 w/o Karaban warrant losing three first place votes or am I nitpicking?
They won at Wisconsin, who was #6, and their resume and metric advantage is going to lead statheads to favor them. Not unreasonable.

But UConn is the best team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom