Fanta quotes unnamed high major coach on the portal | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Fanta quotes unnamed high major coach on the portal

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Nah. Services contracts in excess of $1000 need to be in writing. Therefore any NIL deal in excess of $1000 needs to be in writing simply under ordinary contract law. This is protective of players as well. Once you stick to that, it becomes easier to say an NIL contract between player and any booster of a team cannot occur until the player commits to the school.

The players should really not hope to become employees. That wouldn't go well.

And to that I would say good luck to the NCAA when it comes to trying to enforce a contract between a booster and player.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Football transfer portal is so crazy that kids are literally transferring from a school during winter session and transferring back to the school they transferred from after spring practice.

Absolute mess.
Makes me happy. Kill that product as much as possible to reduce it’s oversized role in college sports.

If people are worried about mediocrity in college bb what do you think happens in football with NIL? The day the final week end in college football has teams around five hundred winning championships is the day the power conferences will be knocked down a peg.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I'm sorry you wasted your time on this post. This is useless drivel.

Chemistry is hard now? It's always been hard and this doesn't change that. Good coaches figure out and bad ones don't. This isn't new.

Fans want to root for bad players to eventually be good? People wanna root for good players and good teams, period. I don't care how it happens, be good and fans will flock to you.

Mid majors get screwed here? The entire mountain west made the tournament this year. Half the final four last year was mid majors and Miami who basically bought its team.

Are we watching the same sport? The transfer portal has brought more parity to the sport, not less.
Sounds like I hit a nerve. Most of your rebuttal does not really address my claims. Reading comp? But one of your assertion does and even makes sense, so here is my counter.

Post 2000 there are more low seed upsets than before 2000, including the only 16 seed upsets. I stated that we are now near the beginning of seeing that trend reversed. If I am wrong and you are right then we will see 13-16 seeded upsets at the same frequency as occurred up until this year, most coming from mid-majors. If I am right that frequency will decrease, for reasons your other comments indicate you seem to miss which, ironically, actually proves your point that my post was a waste of time.

FWIW, as a UConn fan I am ultimately OK with how 40% turnover makes the rich get richer.

Reaction Score
College BB in 10 years is doomed unless something changes. Imagine a world without March Madness.!

Reaction Score
There obviously needs to be some changes made.
Every school needs to budget a GM to handle the non-sport issues and manage the coming and goings of players.
They also need to understand that this is now a professional environment and need to introduce contracts that protect both players and schools. The money gets guaranteed in exchange for commitments to stay at the school for the remainder of a player's eligibility.
i think there needs to be a salary cap per sport. Not sure how you do it but there should be a limit to what schools can pay players.

Reaction Score
It has changed the game and balance of power completely. UConn has benefited because they have a great coach, who was able to adapt. I think if it continues we will see coaches spend less time recruiting high school students and just focus on the portal each year. The top portal transfers are better players than the one and done 5* high school recruits.

Reaction Score
Here's a big picture Q or 2 I consider regularly.

As a fan, why is it still "illegal" to directly support athletes at any time, for any reason, I choose?
Basically, why doesn't Gohlke have a GoFundMe page with $5mil in it right now?

Why are NIL collectives school specific? Ie. can't an athlete just sell their marketing rights to a group that's school agnostic? Why not?

Maybe portal windows are just entirely unnecessary? (no in season transfers)

Seems like lots of folks have sentimentality issues with the new NCAA setup, but it also appears there's still plenty of arbitrary regulation going on imo.

Reaction Score
UConn benefits in portal era because of coaching, types of players it recruits. Most coaches are iron fist coaches. they dont know how to act when a players has options.
I'm not sure if UConn has mastered the portal/NIL. I just think we have managed it well so far but its too new to draw conclusions. For players its the money, not Coaches (including Hurley). I understand Hurley values the parent/player relationship and uses it as a way to measure character. It seems to be working.

Just saying we are talking teenagers who have an opportunity to make more money than their parents at 18/19 years old. Immaturity and money do not mix.

No one talks about the impact on other teammates. Teenagers get jealous easily, and now you have a teammate who is a millionaire getting shine and you ain't. This has implications in the locker room and on the court.

They need to financially reward every collegiate athlete, and treat them as professionals if that's were this is headed. Split evenly (communism in basketball LOL).

This is a mess.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
As UConn fans we are outliers. We profit from the portal. If I were a fan of, say Dayton, I would despise it.
We profit from it precisely because our.coaching staff knows how to use it.

I commiserate with the teams who appear to be harmed by the portal, but these are high school kids making high school kid decisions.

They are decidedly NOT under any contracts.

The portal gives all of them opportunities to get a manner of a do-over for their college commitments. It may hurt the cartel a little bit in the re-shuffle. Still, not all will be like Cam.

And he is, actually a wonderful case study.

Stay at Rutgers and what is his endpoint?

Goes to UConn, earns a natty, totally raises his draft profile. Gets innumerable benefits.

UConn benefitted greatly from what he was able to deliver.

And Rutgers probably barely noticed the loss of him

Reaction Score
That’s troubling
How so? To me I see this as a guy whose probably burned the midnight oil pretty much every night since Purdue and, of course is tired but dedicated and marching onward (to 3).

Reaction Score
College BB in 10 years is doomed unless something changes. Imagine a world without March Madness.!
The US at least. Outside of Americans abroad no one else really cares and I have a group of nba crazed Co workers in Serbia... I digress though, it would still suck.

Reaction Score
He's not a fan.

Why do folks always blame the NCAA for everything? NCAA is like biggest scapegoat... It takes all the hits for the greed of individual colleges and conferences.

Don't they realize that the NCAA is at the mercy of our judicial and legislative branches of government? The NCAA is powerless to do anything if the courts consistently rule against it.

People gotta stop blaming the NCAA. The NCAA has been trying to avoid this whole mess for decades. The writing was on the wall the moment the Supreme Court ruled against the NCAA controlling TV contracts back in 1984. Ever since then its been a futile attempt to retain the student-athlete model and any semblance of competitive balance between athletic programs

Reaction Score
Why do folks always blame the NCAA for everything? NCAA is like biggest scapegoat... It takes all the hits for the greed of individual colleges and conferences.

Don't they realize that the NCAA is at the mercy of our judicial and legislative branches of government? The NCAA is powerless to do anything if the courts consistently rule against it.

People gotta stop blaming the NCAA. The NCAA has been trying to avoid this whole mess for decades. The writing was on the wall the moment the Supreme Court ruled against the NCAA controlling TV contracts back in 1984. Ever since then its been a futile attempt to retain the student-athlete model and any semblance of competitive balance between athletic programs
People blame the NCAA because they've been reactive instead of proactive. If they made changes years ago a lot of these scenarios probably would have played out differently

Reaction Score
People blame the NCAA because they've been reactive instead of proactive. If they made changes years ago a lot of these scenarios probably would have played out differently
I doubt it. There is no way to be proactive in this matter. The courts rule!

The courts are the reason why we find ourselves in the current model. If you want to point finger then point it at the US Supreme Court and the State Supreme Courts.

Unless we get federal legislation its only going to get worst before it gets better.

Reaction Score

Because they routinely make decisions in their best interest, not the students or schools and those decisions are are big part of this mess. Why was the NCAA making money using the likeness of players without compensation. If they weren’t the Nil lawsuit wouldn’t have happened. Why does the NCAA get 70% of the revenue from March madness for doing nothing while Fb playoff works just fine and NCAA gets zero. And myriad more reasons….

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
This thread took a hard turn a while back.

Look, NIL and the portal are two different things. The article was about the portal, not NIL.

And, for the record, NCAA indeed brought the court's NIL ruling upon itself. They had ample opportunity to address the matter, themselves.

And I agree, waiting for the courts to order you to do a thing will most often result in structures you might like less than if you had been proactive, yourself.

Reaction Score
Because they routinely make decisions in their best interest, not the students or schools and those decisions are are big part of this mess.
Who makes up the NCAA committees that vote on all these “decisions”?

The same powerbrokers that drive the conferences - drive the NCAA.

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
I agree with a number of the coach’s sentiments, but to complain that the coaches are working too hard & don’t have enough time off while making millions
This. When Shabazz first came out with the literal bomb that he was often hungry, that really stung me and I'm sure many others. We still haven't come anywhere close to full circle but for me, I'll stand with the players. The growing pains are not their fault. Maybe the very well paid NCAA execs will have to hold more hard labor lunches to sort it all out.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
People gotta stop blaming the NCAA.

Season 2 No GIF by Paramount+

Reaction Score
I think that in many respects a Union might save college sports from itself. Set base salaries and work rules. Rules for participation and terms like you sign for 1,2,3 or 4 years with special benefits for longer contracts. Rules for free agents.

Reaction Score
This was very valuable - to a poster of my caliber.
I just wish someone would cut the power to your Mom's basement....leaving you in the dark with no computer access.

Reaction Score
I doubt it. There is no way to be proactive in this matter. The courts rule!

The courts are the reason why we find ourselves in the current model. If you want to point finger then point it at the US Supreme Court and the State Supreme Courts.

Unless we get federal legislation its only going to get worst before it gets better.
I blame the NCAA, and the member schools. They exploited these kids while earning billions without sharing a penny.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom