Fans on their teams losing... | The Boneyard

Fans on their teams losing...

Reaction Score
So if I am being honest I hate when Baylor loses. I hate it! I am probably spoiled because in a season they usually lose somewhere between 1-4 on the given year. Recent years 1-2. But after a loss I almost feel like I need to take a day away from Basketball. Most of the folks on here tend to be more basketball fanatics and higher on the hardcore fans list for their prospective Universities. I can imagine UConn doesn't take losing well because they don't really lose.

Anyone else as crazy as I am? Sad part is I was kind of expecting.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I hear ya, I hate when my team loses to. I keep hoping eventually I will become more mature and philosophical about it...but no luck with that so far.

But sorry, I can't muster much sympathy for Baylor fans w/ their 1 or 2 losses per year, especially coming off a natty last season. :rolleyes:

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I haven't met a State fan yet upset about the loss to Stanford. They all commended our young players for growing up so fast, and seem excited about the positives.

I was actually one of the harder critics, but I'm quite ok with the loss now. The only thing this affects is RPI because a Top 5 win got away from us, putting more pressure on us to win in Columbia. And I'm not even ready to go there yet.

Reaction Score
The main reason I don't like my team losing . . . I have to stay off the local boards for days because of all the second-guessing and general kvetching. One thing I like about the Boneyard is that it's NOT centered on my local school. I can come here and get a somewhat more reasonable "perspective".

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I think it depends on:
- was it an upset? Not, do the home team fans think it was an upset, but was it really an upset? The more of an upset it was, the more unhappy I am. For example, I was not especially upset by the fact that RU lost to LSU, per se.

BUT ALSO
- how did the team play? Did they play well and the other team was just better, or, did they not play well? That was, for example, the more upsetting aspect of the LSU loss for Rutgers, as they did not play well late in the game.

AND
- what is the impact? For a different example, I will be really really upset if Arizona loses any of their remaining OOC "Little Sister" games - it is good for Arizona to be ranked (it is uncertain to last into the PAC season) and, apart from the above, it would have a very significant impact on Arizona being ranked.

For UConn fans and the other elite programs - I can see being upset at almost any loss because it is almost always impactful and usually an upset (and often due to some shortcoming in the teams play that night, or at least fans think that). For the rest of us, no, I don't get ganerally get upset over individual losses, although the factors I list figure into it.

Reaction Score
I never want to see MSST lose but I do not get upset with every loss. Losing to a elite team in a close game is easy to accept, it is when we lose to a team that I think we are clearly the better team that upsets me. Last year the loss to Missouri , at home, ticked me off but I rationalize it by saying outside shooting was the culprit. Do not want any Missouri type losses this year!

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I don't generally mind our team losing, except a few losses definitely made me need to clear my head afterwards, and they still scar me memorably to this day, specifically:

-40 point drubbing at home against Oregon last year (OOF).
-31-49 loss to ASU in 2016, which was our lowest scoring output in Tara's history at Stanford and was probably the nadir for our team since the early 2000s, followed by a 36-56 loss at UCLA two weeks later. (Also both those games were just terrible basketball so they were ugly to watch in addition to lose.)
-2011 Final Four last-second loss to Texas A&M after being unable to deal with Vic's press the entire second half. I think there was a strong likelihood we would have won the championship against Notre Dame had we won that game.
-2010 Championship Game loss to UConn when we led 20-12 at the half, Appel had broken her foot but still played gamely, and came up 0-12 on shooting. She was literally hobbling down the floor by the end. Such a brutal end to her glowing Stanford career.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
I don't generally mind our team losing, except a few losses definitely made me need to clear my head afterwards, and they still scar me memorably to this day, specifically:

-40 point drubbing at home against Oregon last year (OOF).
-31-49 loss to ASU in 2016, which was our lowest scoring output in Tara's history at Stanford and was probably the nadir for our team since the early 2000s, followed by a 36-56 loss at UCLA two weeks later. (Also both those games were just terrible basketball so they were ugly to watch in addition to lose.)
-2011 Final Four last-second loss to Texas A&M after being unable to deal with Vic's press the entire second half. I think there was a strong likelihood we would have won the championship against Notre Dame had we won that game.
-2010 Championship Game loss to UConn when we led 20-12 at the half, Appel had broken her foot but still played gamely, and came up 0-12 on shooting. She was literally hobbling down the floor by the end. Such a brutal end to her glowing Stanford career.

And if you guys would've taken care of South Carolina in 2017 and held that 9 point halftime lead, we'd have a Natty. Be pretty hard to beat 2 SEC teams in a row.

Not the Cardinal's most talented team, I know but I was rooting for Stanford because I know I never want to play Dawn Staley.

Reaction Score
It depends on how emotionally invested I am in the team, and that changes from year to year. This year, I don't expect anything more than the Sweet 16, so I'm a lot more chill about it. I've been all doom and gloom lately.

When we lost to Notre Dame in the championship game, I was mad for about a week. I got way too emotionally involved that season.

I get too involved with our baseball team too. I'm so nervous that it's unenjoyable to watch at times. I don't know what to do about that. In the end, it's about how invested you became in the season or that particular team and how much you expected from that team.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
It depends on how emotionally invested I am in the team, and that changes from year to year. This year, I don't expect anything more than the Sweet 16, so I'm a lot more chill about it. I've been all doom and gloom lately.

When we lost to Notre Dame in the championship game, I was mad for about a week. I got way too emotionally involved that season.

I get too involved with our baseball team too. I'm so nervous that it's unenjoyable to watch at times. I don't know what to do about that. In the end, it's about how invested you became in the season or that particular team and how much you expected from that team.

Nothing to take too harshly with baseball last year. We were very good - possibly even National Championship caliber. Vanderbilt was better, and there was no comparison there. They had too much pro-ball talent that they were gonna that year against anyone.

Reaction Score

The unenjoyable so nervous feeling is what I get. I don't have it this year as much as last year, because I knew we had the talent to win it all. However, I was not willing to write checks my ass couldn't cash. But if Baylor would start playing very badly then I will sometimes turn the channel for a few, because I get so annoyed.

Hard to watch Football, Volley, Men & Women's Basketball at Baylor right. All only have 1 loss.

Reaction Score
The main reason I don't like my team losing . . . I have to stay off the local boards for days because of all the second-guessing and general kvetching. One thing I like about the Boneyard is that it's NOT centered on my local school. I can come here and get a somewhat more reasonable "perspective".
When we lose the "should have hired Vic to replace Gary" crowd comes out of their holes, along with the other terrible takes that are shared by most internet fan bases.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The loss to Notre Dame in the Final Four was painful.

Generally if it's a regular season game that should be competitive I don't mind so much unless the team plays poorly.

Reaction Score
I was genuinely angry when we were at one point losing by 20+ points in the first half to a dumpster fire Kansas team at home last year. I did my best not to punch the TV.

I can handle losing to good teams. No shame in that.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Sure, I'd rather have UConn or the Red Sox win than lose. But I've never had the win-at-all-cost mentality.

When I was a kid, my football team had maybe 15 players, and we just weren't any good. We scored one touchdown all season. My father was beside himself with how sanguine I was with the situation. There was absolutely nothing I or anyone else on the team could do to make our team good, so why go apoplectic over the inevitable?

That gave me some perspective at a very young age.

It's a game, a sport, something we should enjoy. If I go ape spit over a loss, then I'm no longer enjoying it, and the entire spirit of sport is lost.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For me, it depends on whether you watch the game alone., with family or go to the game. If I am watching alone, I am a wreck until we are winning by 30 but it is a lot easier when you are not alone or attending the game live.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
For me, it depends on whether you watch the game alone., with family or go to the game. If I am watching alone, I am a wreck until we are winning by 30 but it is a lot easier when you are not alone or attending the game live.

That sounds like me. I can behave perfectly well if there are other people around, but if I'm by myself I go kind of overboard.

Reaction Score
.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes that game had a major impact on my Stanford fandom.

To start with I was not really a WCBB fan. Nor any form of womens basketball for that matter. I was a volleyball fan and because of their coach and program became a fan of Stanford volleyball. Kristin Folkl was the most dominate volleyball player at the time and through curiosity, it led me to follow Stanford W. Basketball. Tara had also developed a rep as the USA team coach. While still not a much of a fan as I am now, the first women's team I followed was Stanford.

Well, the game you described, was one of the worst coaching decisions I have ever seen. While Appel, who was sort of a local girl I had followed through high school. Tara, I felt, allowing her to play that last game was worse than stupid. It changed my perspective on Tara. Appel, and her grit, was the reason they won the simi game, but she was a serious liability in the game against Uconn. Stanford was the better team that year and it was Tara's brain freeze that lost them the championship.

Whenever Appel was not in the game Stanford outscored Uconn. But when she was in the game Uconn made up whatever difference and took back the lead. Appel, not only had a horrible shooting day, but her mobility and hops were limited. She couldn't even get off the ground, rebound or play defense. She was able to grit through her injury in the simi but to anyone with a brain, it was obvious that she had nothing left for the final. The effort she gave on an injured leg in the semi's aggravated the injury to the point where she was, even with effort, a major liability. Tara's insistence on playing her lost them the championship.

That event, along with other incidents, led me to believe that Tara carried some psychological monkey on her back that would manifest in key games. Not being that invested anyway, I dropped Stanford as my favorite team in womens basketball. So yes losing that game, and how it was lost, had a major impact.

Reaction Score
If my team is undefeated so far in the season (very frequent, given that I'm a UConn WBB, Oklahoma football and Patriots fan), then that first loss is always a huge letdown. I hate it. In college football, especially if that loss comes later in the year, it basically means the season is over (meaning out of championship contention, which to me is the same as "over").

I don't scream or throw things, but sometimes I do assign personal blame to whoever it was that ruined my season :mad: :mad:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom