Fall Camp - The QB Battle | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Fall Camp - The QB Battle

Reaction Score
If Turner is the starting qb…that says a lot about Turner… Roberson has a lot of skills.. strong arm and he can run.. and he had a lot more practice time then Turner… I gotta believe Turner is going to be special if that’s the case

Reaction Score
At least Mora acknowledged the somewhat absurdity of it.

To paraphrase he said not announcing it is a competitive advantage even though Utah St doesn't have film on any of them.
If nothing else it heightens interest to not announce. But on Monday anyone with access to the practice will know afterward.

Reaction Score
So I guess there are2 ways to look at this situation. 1 is no quarterback has grabbed the job. 2 is we thought we had one solid quarterback but in fact we have 2.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So I guess there are2 ways to look at this situation. 1 is no quarterback has grabbed the job. 2 is we thought we had one solid quarterback but in fact we have 2.

I am definitely falling in to the "guy who came in to camp as the #1 hasn't definitely separated himself from a true freshman, a transfer with almost no PT under his belt and a soph still rehabbing from an ACL" camp.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not invalid but if Turner takes better care of the ball and throws less INTs then….
Agree. I just would hate to see him lose confidence against a difficult opponent early in the year. Still, if he gives us the best chance of winning we should go with him.

Reaction Score
I see this as a nice problem we have not had in some time with joy. ;)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I see this as a nice problem we have not had in some time with joy. ;)

This is the exact problem the program has had for a long time.

Zero quarterbacks on roster have D1 success and no one claimed job early in camp.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Can anyone see two quarterbacks playing? That might be a possibility and why we have no idea who will be starting against Utah St.

Reaction Score
Agree. I just would hate to see him lose confidence against a difficult opponent early in the year. Still, if he gives us the best chance of winning we should go with him.
What’s going to make him lose confidence? Just because you might lose confidence in the team is no reason to think Turner would.

CL82

Reaction Score
What’s going to make him lose confidence? Just because you might lose confidence in the team is no reason to think Turner would.
Oh, I don’t know… being chased all day by a superior opponent; getting sacked due to a new OL providing in adequate protection; being rushed into throwing interceptions do to lack of protection all come to mind. There are reasons why freshman quarterbacks aren’t preferred. UConn is still working its way back and it s first game with a new head coach, new offensive coach and multiple transfers is against a ranked opponent. That is a tough situation to throw a freshman quarterback into, especially for a team that was one of the worst in football the prior year.

You weren’t aware of any of those things?

Reaction Score
I am definitely falling in to the "guy who came in to camp as the #1 hasn't definitely separated himself from a true freshman, a transfer with almost no PT under his belt and a soph still rehabbing from an ACL" camp.
I meant to say there are 2 positive ways

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I meant to say there are 2 positive ways

Understood. I don't think your first one is a positive. Roberson not sewing this up and being the clear #1 is an indictment on him. He was clearly the leader going in to camp and had more experience with the staff and players than any other QB. Yes, it was just one session of spring ball and summer conditioning but it was more than Turner.
Can your second scenario be right where both Roberson and Turner are legit D1 QB's and us fans just haven't had a chance to see it? Absolutely, but I need to see that on the field to believe it.
I've been consistent saying I feel good about the program if Turner is the clear #1 for 2023.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I know we want to like that there are 4 good QBs and two solid, we think, choices for starting. However, this is the jaded UConn football fan in me, I have to think that this isn't a nice as we are spinning it. Clearly no one has solidified themselves as the front runner and made the coaches say "Yup, that's our guy". I get it might be close and schemes might be the same for TR and ZT, but relationships are what matter. How does the QB snap the ball with his count, how does he put touch on the ball, and all the little things that we probably don't even know about that come with knowing the QB and working with them constantly.

I want to believe that working with either QB all preseason will be fine for whoever takes the field against Utah St. However, I just have to wonder if naming a starting QB would be more beneficial than just saying we have a good group of QBs who are still competing with only 2 weeks before our first game.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I know we want to like that there are 4 good QBs and two solid, we think, choices for starting. However, this is the jaded UConn football fan in me, I have to think that this isn't a nice as we are spinning it. Clearly no one has solidified themselves as the front runner and made the coaches say "Yup, that's our guy". I get it might be close and schemes might be the same for TR and ZT, but relationships are what matter. How does the QB snap the ball with his count, how does he put touch on the ball, and all the little things that we probably don't even know about that come with knowing the QB and working with them constantly.

I want to believe that working with either QB all preseason will be fine for whoever takes the field against Utah St. However, I just have to wonder if naming a starting QB would be more beneficial than just saying we have a good group of QBs who are still competing with only 2 weeks before our first game.

Glass-half-ish-full...

Maybe we do have "that's our guy," but the apprehension is due to age/experience, and not "not being the guy?" To purely look at it from a coaching staff POV - throwing a true FR at QB is a pretty high-risk move, even more so in your first game in the regime, and on the road, to boot.

Reaction Score
I'd have to imagine that the offensive players already know who the game 1 starter is (at least unofficially) if Mora said yesterday to the press that they (the press) had a pretty good idea of who it is.

Reaction Score
Oh, I don’t know… being chased all day by a superior opponent; getting sacked due to a new OL providing in adequate protection; being rushed into throwing interceptions do to lack of protection all come to mind. There are reasons why freshman quarterbacks aren’t preferred. UConn is still working its way back and it s first game with a new head coach, new offensive coach and multiple transfers is against a ranked opponent. That is a tough situation to throw a freshman quarterback into, especially for a team that was one of the worst in football the prior year.

You weren’t aware of any of those things?
“Chased all day by a superior opponent”, “getting sacked, by who? I was aware that Utah State’s defense gave up almost as many points as UConn did last year. Apparently you were not. Their defense sucks!!! They are terrible. You can take all that manufactured pessimism and stick it you know where. The kid is the real deal.

Reaction Score

Well, then it’s on him and the coaches to not lose confidence. He doesn’t sound like a player that would wilt so easily.

Besides, we better be signing two QBs as good as him or better this year anyways.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
In my completely uninformed opinion, you start the older more experienced Roberson on the road against the ranked Utah State team. If he does well, great, we've got our number 1. If he falters then Turner gets his feet wet at home against a much weaker Central.

Reaction Score
Glass-half-ish-full...

Maybe we do have "that's our guy," but the apprehension is due to age/experience, and not "not being the guy?" To purely look at it from a coaching staff POV - throwing a true FR at QB is a pretty high-risk move, even more so in your first game in the regime, and on the road, to boot.
That is kind of what I think. We have our guy for 2023 Onward. But is he ready for the opener against a ranked team on the road or would it make more sense to let him hold the clipboard for a couple of games before putting him out there? It isn’t unheard of in the annals of college football, or even the NFL for that matter.

Best case scenario if Roberson starts and plays great is we have our guy. I also think it is easier to go from the experienced player to the less experienced one. But we will see on the 27th, I guess.

CL82

Reaction Score
“Chased all day by a superior opponent”, “getting sacked, by who? I was aware that Utah State’s defense gave up almost as many points as UConn did last year. Apparently you were not. Their defense sucks!!! They are terrible. You can take all that manufactured pessimism and stick it you know where. The kid is the real deal.
LOL, Utah State is receiving votes in the preseason polls. As things stand today they are considered a vastly superior opponent.

Really, you need to relax. I can almost hear your blood pressure over here. Don’t worry you’re safe, no one‘s threatening you. Lol.

CL82

Reaction Score
Well, then it’s on him and the coaches to not lose confidence. He doesn’t sound like a player that would wilt so easily.

Besides, we better be signing two QBs as good as him or better this year anyways.
Totally agree, if he’s the guy. But, it’s a situation to put it true freshman.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom