Ezi Magbegor In The News | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Ezi Magbegor In The News

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Right, because history has shown that for top recruits who choose UConn it's so downhill after their freshman years.

A small price to pay for the finished "polished" product you'll be upon graduation. Ready for the WNBA and the world. :cool:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
On the thread topic: I would hope Ezi's decision on staying in Australia or choosing either school would be fairly soon. On the other hand she may deice between the two schools and then tarry over the do I go or do I stay.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Plus..UCONN played the Candian National Athenm for Kia followed by Our National Athemn for Gabby...A class act for an international student to see...

Yes sir!!! Geno and staff have been hosting potential recruits for decades. They know what they are doing, and exactly how to appeal to a recruit and her parent's sensibilities and desires. UConn can't compete with campuses in an urban location, nor those in warm climates. UConn's facilities are not state of the art, but they are (I would imagine) comparable with that of most other top ranked D-1 programs. What does set UConn apart from all of the other programs is the staff and the legacy.

Let's not forget the adage: A good indication of future behavior is past behavior. Any program can win a single championship. How many win championships on a continuing basis? THAT'S the program I would be interested in taking a very close look at. Why? They are doing something that the other programs aren't. Since they continue to win with different players, it must be the system. Also, with UConn, there's usually no drop off when their best player(s) leaves. After the BIG 3 left, UConn was 1 basket or 1 free throw in regulation from playing in the championship game. They won 36 games in a row that year. Players come and go, but yet, UConn continues to win, and very seldom lose. Gabby and Kia never lost a home game in their 4 years at UConn. Not to mention their graduation rate is 100% and they are highly coveted by every team in the WNBA during the league draft and beyond.

If winning championships are important, note the last time the UCLA women won one. If coaches are important, note how many NC's Cori Close has won. This is not a hard choice here. If she wants 75 degrees and sunny, and to be within 4 miles of the Santa Monica beach, direct flights to Australia from LAX airport, live in a very popular upscale community, attend a well known and respected institution of higher learning, then UCLA is the place for her. If she wants to experience the exhilaration of winning national champions, be coached and molded into the best player she can be, while receiving a high quality education that will serve her well any where in the world, then the choice is clear. Depending on what Magbegor wants from a college basketball program, the choice should be Ezi. Something to think about. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I really think it is a done deal. I believe Geno when he says at this point in the program they only spend time on the ones they want and ever since Wilson it seems if they come for an official visit they commit. It's like Geno and CD don't want to waste their time anymore. Note- C. Collier committed before taking it back....

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Nothing new, but an acknowledgement from Adamec:

Ezi Magbegor, a 6-foot-4 forward from Melbourne, Australia, watched the game from behind the UConn bench as part of her official recruiting visit. It was her second American college visit as she was at UCLA last weekend. Magbegor also has the option of returning to her WNBL team in Australia, the Canberra Capitals ...

After perfect regular season, Huskies must improve

Reaction Score
Yes sir!!! Geno and staff have been hosting potential recruits for decades. They know what they are doing, and exactly how to appeal to a recruit and her parent's sensibilities and desires. UConn can't compete with campuses in an urban location, nor those in warm climates. UConn's facilities are not state of the art, but they are (I would imagine) comparable with that of most other top ranked D-1 programs. What does set UConn apart from all of the other programs is the staff and the legacy.

Let's not forget the adage: A good indication of future behavior is past behavior. Any program can win a single championship. How many win championships on a continuing basis? THAT'S the program I would be interested in taking a very close look at. Why? They are doing something there, that the other programs aren't. Since they continue to win with different players, it must be the system. Also, with UConn, there's usually no drop off when their best player leaves. After the BIG 3 left, UConn was 1 basket or 1 free throw in regulation from playing in the championship game. Players come and go, but yet, UConn continues to win, and very seldom lose. Not to mention their graduation rate is 100% and they are highly coveted by every team in the WNBA during the league draft and beyond.

If winning championships are important, note the last time the UCLA women won one. If coaches are important, note how many NC's Cori Close has won. This is not a hard choice here. If she wants 75 degrees and sunny, and to be within 4 miles of the Santa Monica beach, in a very popular upscale community at a well respected institution of higher learning, then UCLA is the place for her. If she wants to be coached and molded into the best player she can be, while receiving a high quality education that will serve her well any where in the world, then the choice is clear. Depending on what Magbegor wants, the choice is Ezi. Something to think about. :rolleyes:
Well written.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure, especially now looking at pictures, that I saw her going into the bathroom! She was reeeaaaaalllllllyyyyy tall :) at least among the normal size women in line at halftime, of course myself being short even for a woman! Very thin/slender too. Yeah, her size tipped me off to thinking it was probably her!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure, especially now looking at pictures, that I saw her going into the bathroom! She was reeeaaaaalllllllyyyyy tall :) at least among the normal size women in line at halftime, of course myself being short even for a woman! Very thin/slender too. Yeah, her size tipped me off to thinking it was probably her!
OK, so I know what’s said in the ladies room, stays in the ladies room, but can you give us a hint what Ezi was thinking, like maybe, she couldn’t wait to enjoy the weather in Storrs in the fall?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I really think it is a done deal. I believe Geno when he says at this point in the program they only spend time on the ones they want and ever since Wilson it seems if they come for an official visit they commit. It's like Geno and CD don't want to waste their time anymore. Note- C. Collier committed before taking it back....
Yeah. I think it's safe to say that easy Ezi left with a scholarship offer. There's a saying nowadays used (not only) in sports. The big dogs gotta eat. She had to see how prominent the forwards are in Geno's system. How a versatile big gets fed and how Geno and co. can expand her game. She also has to know she'd be playing with a pass first PG that will get the ball to her when and where she wants it. She has to know that she'll be coming in with some young ballers, players she's competed against whose game she respects. Not to mention the talent she'll be up against in practice every day and on the court with giving beat downs. From this admittedly bias viewpoint, if I were her I'd be salivating at the prospect.

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score
OK, so I know what’s said in the ladies room, stays in the ladies room, but can you give us a hint what Ezi was thinking, like maybe, she couldn’t wait to enjoy the weather in Storrs in the fall?
I really hope Millenial23 didn't follow her into the ladies room. I mean, I really, really do hope not. Just sayin'.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score

Let's not forget the adage: A good indication of future behavior is past behavior. Any program can win a single championship. How many win championships on a continuing basis? THAT'S the program I would be interested in taking a very close look at. Why? They are doing something there, that the other programs aren't. Since they continue to win with different players, it must be the system. Also, with UConn, there's usually no drop off when their best player leaves. After the BIG 3 left, UConn was 1 basket or 1 free throw in regulation from playing in the championship game. Players come and go, but yet, UConn continues to win, and very seldom lose. Not to mention their graduation rate is 100% and they are highly coveted by every team in the WNBA during the league draft and beyond.

If winning championships are important, note the last time the UCLA women won one. If coaches are important, note how many NC's Cori Close has won. This is not a hard choice here. If she wants 75 degrees and sunny, and to be within 4 miles of the Santa Monica beach, Direct flights to Australia from LAX airport, Live in a very popular upscale community, attend a well known and respected institution of higher learning, then UCLA is the place for her. If she wants to experience the exhilaration of winning national champions, be coached and molded into the best player she can be, while receiving a high quality education that will serve her well any where in the world, then the choice is clear. Depending on what Magbegor wants, the choice is Ezi. Something to think about. :rolleyes:

The Werth Center is as good as a facility in the country if not better and is only a few years old. If you have taken a tour- no one can match all the trophies and memorabilia from all the championships UConn has won. It truly is a Champions Center!!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Nothing new, but an acknowledgement from Adamec:

Ezi Magbegor, a 6-foot-4 forward from Melbourne, Australia, watched the game from behind the UConn bench as part of her official recruiting visit. It was her second American college visit as she was at UCLA last weekend. Magbegor also has the option of returning to her WNBL team in Australia, the Canberra Capitals ...

After perfect regular season, Huskies must improve

All of the pomp and circumstance, the sold out arena, the senior night ceremony, and the unveiling of Gabby's banner officially admitting her into the prestigious Huskies of Honor, the way UConn "handled" USF, the camaraderie and the festive interaction between the players on the bench had to impress Ezi.

I'd like to think that several times during the game, she pictured herself on the floor with this team, wondering what it would be like. I would imagine it would be hard to experience senior night, and not want to be part of that whole experience.

As another poster mentioned, it was a nice and respectful touch to also play the Canadian National Anthem to honor Kia and her family. Hopefully Ezi left impressed with everything she saw and with everyone she met. She sure would look good in a nice new crisp UConn uniform. I hope she also left with an "offer". I said Walker would look good in a UConn uniform when she was still being recruited, I was right.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The Werth Center is as good as a facility in the country if not better and is only a few years old. If you have taken a tour- no one can match all the trophies and memorabilia from all the championships UConn has won. It truly is a Champions Center!!

I know the Werth Center is new and state of the art since it's relatively new. I have not had the pleasure of visiting the campus in person yet, so I can only suppose how UConn's facilities match up against other top ranked programs. A trip to Storrs to see 2 games is on my bucket list. I must see two. Too far to travel to only see one game.

I know Gampel open in January of 1990, 28 years ago. I was thinking of newer state of the art facilities like those at Oregon (backed by Phil Knight's Nike billions), and Oklahoma State (T. Boone Pickens' $$$). The facilities on those campuses are beyond magnificent. Google them, you'll see what I mean.

Reaction Score
I like the UConn campus a lot. And I like the vibes even more. Kids, faculty, and staff are really nice. It feels like a mid-western campus.

Biggest problem for UConn is Storrs. There's no there there. Sure the team is somewhat singularly focused from late Oct to April, but it's such a small town that I'm sure you run out of things to do quickly. You'd like a couple of interesting restaurants, more movie theaters, clothes stores, etc. Even though the campus does a pretty good job bringing entertainment there, from what I can see, you still want some off campus things, too.

On the other hand, the team travels a lot and creates an exciting environment wherever it rolls into town. I'm sure the current players sell that part of it as a substitute for the lack of urban exposure.

Reaction Score
I know the Werth Center is new and state of the art since it's relatively new. I have not had the pleasure of visiting the campus in person yet, so I can only suppose how UConn's facilities match up against other top ranked programs. A trip to Storrs to see 2 games is on my bucket list. I must see two. Too far to travel to only see one game.

I know Gampel open in January of 1990, 28 years ago. I was thinking of newer state of the art facilities like those at Oregon (backed by Phil Knight's Nike billions), and Oklahoma State (T. Boone Pickens' $$$). The facilities on those campuses are quite magnificent. Google them, you'll see what I mean.
Werth Center is outstanding ... (but I have nothing to compare it to)...I saw a UCONN Video with Stewie and Tuck (if I recall correctly) giving a tour...very impressive to me. Gampel "renovation" in 2017... new roof and?? ... haven't seen the inside yet, but sure looks great from photos/videos/tv coverage I've seen this season.

If I have to plant a Palm Tree for Ezi to make her decision to pick UConn...consider it done!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Werth Center is outstanding ... (but I have nothing to compare it to)...I saw a UCONN Video with Stewie and Tuck (if I recall correctly) giving a tour...very impressive to me. Gampel "renovation" in 2017... new roof and?? ... haven't seen the inside yet, but sure looks great from photos/videos/tv coverage I've seen this season.

If I have to plant a Palm Tree for Ezi to make her decision to pick UConn...consider it done!

I'd be happy to pick her up at the airport. Can you fathom what her coming to UConn would mean? :p

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Some info from west coast sources on 247sports

Prospects Nation's top ranked 2018 international recruit from Australia is rumored to want to play at UCLA or at least has it as a favorite university according to a source at the UConn Boneyard forum. If that is true, is this statement directly related to UCLA or is it just a general statement? If she is in fact referring to waiting on UCLA to offer a scholarship, it would mean that the coaching staff has yet to offer, no? "I'm leaning towards either staying here (Australia) or going to college in the U.S. I guess it just depends on what offers I get here and whether or not I get offered a scholarship at the school in America I want to go to." At 6-3, she's long and athletic and pretty fluid for a player her size, exactly the type of player Coach Close seems to like, and with added height or length. I know the staff is after another long, athletic and fluid 2019 international player in No. 2 overall by Hoopgurlz in Laeticia Amihere out of Canada, but I hope that they have or will offer Magbegor, who is friends with Chantel I believe. Here's the video the quote is taken from with some with some highlights. Fingers crossed because UCLA will need some height and elite talent in the post to keep battling to become/stay a powerhouse in the coming years.

Coach Cori and Coach Tony traveled to Australia last September "for 48 hours recruiting a very good player who is an even better person! She will be visiting in late January or February." Also considering UConn and Oregon so presumably the "very good player" is indeed Magbegor and one can assume she's received a scholarship offer. Magbegor would be a great front court addition as we bid goodbye to Mo at the end of this season. Magbegor has talent enough to go pro in Australia so it will be interesting to see if she decides to go the NCAA WBB route. She played with the Basketball Australia's Centre of Excellence so highly likely Chantel knows Magbegor. Hope the staff and team can convince her to become a Bruin!

Reaction Score
I like the UConn campus a lot. And I like the vibes even more. Kids, faculty, and staff are really nice. It feels like a mid-western campus.

Biggest problem for UConn is Storrs. There's no there there. Sure the team is somewhat singularly focused from late Oct to April, but it's such a small town that I'm sure you run out of things to do quickly. You'd like a couple of interesting restaurants, more movie theaters, clothes stores, etc. Even though the campus does a pretty good job bringing entertainment there, from what I can see, you still want some off campus things, too.

On the other hand, the team travels a lot and creates an exciting environment wherever it rolls into town. I'm sure the current players sell that part of it as a substitute for the lack of urban exposure.
Boston is 85 miles away. One can’t find anything more interesting anywhere! That is a 75-minute drive on the weekend. Granted, Storrs is not Ann Arbor or Bloomington, but Detroit and Indianapolis pale in comparison. I realize college athletes can’t do that in season, but from April to September?! Envious already.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Some info from west coast sources on 247sports

Prospects Nation's top ranked 2018 international recruit from Australia is rumored to want to play at UCLA or at least has it as a favorite university according to a source at the UConn Boneyard forum. If that is true, is this statement directly related to UCLA or is it just a general statement? If she is in fact referring to waiting on UCLA to offer a scholarship, it would mean that the coaching staff has yet to offer, no? "I'm leaning towards either staying here (Australia) or going to college in the U.S. I guess it just depends on what offers I get here and whether or not I get offered a scholarship at the school in America I want to go to." At 6-3, she's long and athletic and pretty fluid for a player her size, exactly the type of player Coach Close seems to like, and with added height or length. I know the staff is after another long, athletic and fluid 2019 international player in No. 2 overall by Hoopgurlz in Laeticia Amihere out of Canada, but I hope that they have or will offer Magbegor, who is friends with Chantel I believe. Here's the video the quote is taken from with some with some highlights. Fingers crossed because UCLA will need some height and elite talent in the post to keep battling to become/stay a powerhouse in the coming years.

Coach Cori and Coach Tony traveled to Australia last September "for 48 hours recruiting a very good player who is an even better person! She will be visiting in late January or February." Also considering UConn and Oregon so presumably the "very good player" is indeed Magbegor and one can assume she's received a scholarship offer. Magbegor would be a great front court addition as we bid goodbye to Mo at the end of this season. Magbegor has talent enough to go pro in Australia so it will be interesting to see if she decides to go the NCAA WBB route. She played with the Basketball Australia's Centre of Excellence so highly likely Chantel knows Magbegor. Hope the staff and team can convince her to become a Bruin!
So this writer is quoting a source from the BY? In other words, it's something he read here. Then we wonder if what was said here in a thread is true. Boy, talk about getting out and pounding the pavement.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So this writer is quoting a source from the BY? In other words, it's something he read here. Then we wonder if what was said here in a thread is true. Boy, talk about getting out and pounding the pavement.
It’s also very old info. Ezi did not stop in Oregon on her U.S. visit according to recent media reports.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
On the thread topic: I would hope Ezi's decision on staying in Australia or choosing either school would be fairly soon. On the other hand she may deice between the two schools and then tarry over the do I go or do I stay.
So, basically, you’re saying:

They were English but so are the Aussie’s for the most part
:).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan