Extrapolating from the Maryland game. | The Boneyard

Extrapolating from the Maryland game.

Reaction Score
It's kinda my hobby horse, I know, but I end up rewatching much of the season over the summer -- thank you @MJL243 -- to get clues about next season. The Maryland game came up on my YouTube feed and I watched it again this afternoon even though I'd already watched it 4 or 5 times. Anyway, I highly recommend watching it if you want to get a sense of the sort of high energy game Geno's Huskies can generate. The second quarter is particularly thrilling, since at about 3 minutes in Paige gets tangled up with Shyanne Sellers, a great player in her own right. An intentional foul is called on Paige, and from that moment on she takes over the game, scoring 14 points in the quarter and finishing with 24 pts on 10-15 shooting, 5 rebounds 2 blocks and 6 steals. Aaliyah scored 12 pts with 3 steals, Aubrey added 9 pts 13 rebounds and 4 blocks. And KK, in the first of her major games, played 28 minutes scored 12 on 5-6 shooting with 5 assists and 5 steals.

What this game suggests to me is that if Geno can get them to play with this sort of edge next season, Paige & Co will be incredible. A fuller roster, and one stacked with talent from top to bottom, will be wonderful to watch if they can consistently play in this mode. Paige and Azzi and Ash all know how to play at this level of intensity. And I suspect that KK and Kaitlyn will be willing to push pace to match them, and Morgan will too, if she can find her D1 comfort level early enough. And if Sarah and Jana and Ice are ready to mix it up inside and outside, the rest of D1 better look out.

Paige is the heart of this team, maybe more than any player since Maya, and as she goes the rest will follow. If she plays with heart and energy, KK Ash Azzi and KK already know this drill, and I hope Ice and Q picked up some sense of it too. As I said, I think Morgan is used to playing with this sort of energy, so she should pick it up quickly. What an incredible running team we look to have even before Aubrey and Ayanna return. This is the season Geno will become the all-time winningest coach in D1 basketball history, and he's got the tools to create a masterpiece with this group just to underline this accomplishment. I'm looking forward to seeing Geno's greatest team ever!

A few more game notes:
  • This was only the 3rd game of the season
  • Azzi's injury was announced just before this game.
  • Aaliyah and Ice had a few good moments of interior passing, big-to-big. I have a feeling we'll see a lot more of this next season between Ice Jana Sarah Ayanna Aubrey and Caroline. There's a lot of ball-savvy in that group.
  • There seemed to be some hard feelings on the Maryland side. I don't know if Shyanne and Paige get along, though it would be sad if they don't, since game knows game as they say. Masonius Kubek Alexander and Brown-Turner seemed to have a chip on their shoulders about something coming into this game.
  • UConn had just lost to NC St and may have looked vulnerable to an upset, and the sudden loss of Azzi would have suggested the same idea. The Terps seemed determined to play what I can only describe as "bully ball," and once Paige got pissed and took over the game, the rest of the team was inspired and practically ran Maryland off the court.

Reaction Score
"If she plays with heart and energy". There have been games in the past, like NC State in the Elite 8, where Paige was the walking definition of heart and energy. She had an incredible run to the FF this year in the tourney. It's the last two games of the season this coming year that will define her legacy in my mind. Sure, she is already one of the greatest at UCONN, a true All-American for sure, but an NC this year and a great performance by her in the FF will take her to a place in the Pantheon we will never forget. My superficial take on last year for her in the semis? Man, she was tired. Ordinarily, she would kill Gabby Marshall but when you don't have a full tank, a face guard defense can be very effective. What she had to do last year to get us there was Herculean. Let's not forget that. It takes a huge toll especially on a body that went through what hers did.

Reaction Score
I think Paige always plays with heart. The issue with Paige is that once a few of the players went down she was playing a position that wasn't the best to showcase her talents. On offense she was still very good, but putting her inside to get physically pounded every game took a toll on her. She still managed to play extremely good down the stretch but for UConn to be it's best she will need to be on the point and defending guards.

In my opinion four of the 5 spots are taken right now if everyone comes into camp healthy (except Aubrey). If Aubrey is ready on day one then I think you have your starters with everyone else fighting for backup minutes. They will have as good a 5 as any team in the country and nobody has 10 players as good as UConn. It is very possible that two of last years starters will be fighting to get on the court next season.

Reaction Score
"If she plays with heart and energy". There have been games in the past, like NC State in the Elite 8, where Paige was the walking definition of heart and energy. She had an incredible run to the FF this year in the tourney. It's the last two games of the season this coming year that will define her legacy in my mind. Sure, she is already one of the greatest at UCONN, a true All-American for sure, but an NC this year and a great performance by her in the FF will take her to a place in the Pantheon we will never forget. My superficial take on last year for her in the semis? Man, she was tired. Ordinarily, she would kill Gabby Marshall but when you don't have a full tank, a face guard defense can be very effective. What she had to do last year to get us there was Herculean. Let's not forget that. It takes a huge toll especially on a body that went through what hers did.
Thanks for sharing. I still have so many thoughts about Paige performance in the FF and just generally overall last year. I could make a whole thread about it (freshman PB vs PB last yr, pressure last year vs pressure upcoming year)
1000% this could be overanalyzing and she wasn't terrible in the game at the end of the day. But a lot was going on in that game. The whole Paige vs CC thing, she unfortunately got off to a slow start and Geno was ripping into her (per after first quarter interview), of course a re-emerging theme of a smaller quick defender (Gabbie Marshall) was on her, and Kate Martin - 5th year who is probably the same size and a bit stronger was going at her on the other end, lastly the last chance playing with ur class. I re-watched the first half a couple weeks ago, and she just struggled. I thought she got some good looks, and opportunities but she just couldn't convert. But it's a team game and her teammates definitely picked her up in those moments. They were up double figures for some of the first half and up 6 at half I believe. I think that's the good thing about having KC, and honestly if the rest of the roster is healthy, other options. I think next year if u have KC, AzF, CD (or AS), SS, JAF on the court, there's no way you shouldn't be able to generate good looks. I don't think recently, since PB has been here, there have been that many offensive options. The 22-23 would've had that, (Lou, Dorka, Azzi, CD) but injuries... But Geno's postgame comments after the ff loss, made it almost seem like she had an out of body experience. Obviously he's coach and sets the bar high. He had similar comments after the ND loss. But it just seems like a game where she needed to sit like for 5 minutes. And I think having such a deep roster he will have the opportunity to do that.

Reaction Score
It's kinda my hobby horse, I know, but I end up rewatching much of the season over the summer -- thank you @MJL243 -- to get clues about next season. The Maryland game came up on my YouTube feed and I watched it again this afternoon even though I'd already watched it 4 or 5 times. Anyway, I highly recommend watching it if you want to get a sense of the sort of high energy game Geno's Huskies can generate. The second quarter is particularly thrilling, since at about 3 minutes in Paige gets tangled up with Shyanne Sellers, a great player in her own right. An intentional foul is called on Paige, and from that moment on she takes over the game, scoring 14 points in the quarter and finishing with 24 pts on 10-15 shooting, 5 rebounds 2 blocks and 6 steals. Aaliyah scored 12 pts with 3 steals, Aubrey added 9 pts 13 rebounds and 4 blocks. And KK, in the first of her major games, played 28 minutes scored 12 on 5-6 shooting with 5 assists and 5 steals.

What this game suggests to me is that if Geno can get them to play with this sort of edge next season, Paige & Co will be incredible. A fuller roster, and one stacked with talent from top to bottom, will be wonderful to watch if they can consistently play in this mode. Paige and Azzi and Ash all know how to play at this level of intensity. And I suspect that KK and Kaitlyn will be willing to push pace to match them, and Morgan will too, if she can find her D1 comfort level early enough. And if Sarah and Jana and Ice are ready to mix it up inside and outside, the rest of D1 better look out.

Paige is the heart of this team, maybe more than any player since Maya, and as she goes the rest will follow. If she plays with heart and energy, KK Ash Azzi and KK already know this drill, and I hope Ice and Q picked up some sense of it too. As I said, I think Morgan is used to playing with this sort of energy, so she should pick it up quickly. What an incredible running team we look to have even before Aubrey and Ayanna return. This is the season Geno will become the all-time winningest coach in D1 basketball history, and he's got the tools to create a masterpiece with this group just to underline this accomplishment. I'm looking forward to seeing Geno's greatest team ever!

A few more game notes:
  • Aaliyah and Ice had a few good moments of interior passing, big-to-big. I have a feeling we'll see a lot more of this next season between Ice Jana Sarah Ayanna Aubrey and Caroline. There's a lot of ball-savvy in that group.
  • There seemed to be some hard feelings on the Maryland side. I don't know if Shyanne and Paige get along, though it would be sad if they don't, since game knows game as they say. Masonius Kubek Alexander and Brown-Turner seemed to have a chip on their shoulders about something coming into this game.
  • UConn had just lost to NC St and may have looked vulnerable to an upset, and the sudden loss of Azzi would have suggested the same idea. The Terps seemed determined to play what I can only describe as "bully ball," and once Paige got pissed and took over the game, the rest of the team was inspired and practically ran Maryland off the court.
Like a you and probably the rest of the Yard family, I find myself rewatching games during the offseason. I watched that Maryland game, probably not as many times as yourself, but that intentional foul moment, just ignited the team. Paige was on fire! The key, for me, is going into the season how players adjust to their roles and balance their emotions. If Paige is going to be the focal point, will others check out and stand and watch? I hope not because we have too much fire power (on paper) just to stand around and watch Paige do what she does.

I believe we could push the pace and run a lot of Pistol Action (Phoenix Suns/Steve Nash days) plays. With the snipers we have on the wings or with Ice/Jana/Ayanna in that pinch post spot, hand off to Paige/KK/Kaitlyn for a quick two points on a layup or pullup. Have Azzi/Ash/Morgan/Allie/Caroline on that wing coming off a screen by the Bigs. Screen/Roll, Pick/Pop, Pick/Fade....so many options! And don't get me started on a post-split action with Jana or any player in that post spot. The Warriors had some of the coolest post-split actions. That is the kind of offense I envisioned the Huskies running when we added Azzi a while back. This squad could be very dangerous next season. If the players are healthy, hungry, and motivated. I can not wait!!

Reaction Score
Like a you and probably the rest of the Yard family, I find myself rewatching games during the offseason. I watched that Maryland game, probably not as many times as yourself, but that intentional foul moment, just ignited the team. Paige was on fire! The key, for me, is going into the season how players adjust to their roles and balance their emotions. If Paige is going to be the focal point, will others check out and stand and watch? I hope not because we have too much fire power (on paper) just to stand around and watch Paige do what she does.

I believe we could push the pace and run a lot of Pistol Action (Phoenix Suns/Steve Nash days) plays. With the snipers we have on the wings or with Ice/Jana/Ayanna in that pinch post spot, hand off to Paige/KK/Kaitlyn for a quick two points on a layup or pullup. Have Azzi/Ash/Morgan/Allie/Caroline on that wing coming off a screen by the Bigs. Screen/Roll, Pick/Pop, Pick/Fade....so many options! And don't get me started on a post-split action with Jana or any player in that post spot. The Warriors had some of the coolest post-split actions. That is the kind of offense I envisioned the Huskies running when we added Azzi a while back. This squad could be very dangerous next season. If the players are healthy, hungry, and motivated. I can not wait!!
I’m right there with you! And I share your concern that the lineup could succumb to Paige-watching. That’s what happened a lot in her freshman year, maybe what doomed us in that final four game against Arizona. I think there was some danger of it the following year, but Mama E was the antidote with her heady senior leadership. This year we’ll have to rely on the assertiveness of the youngsters to keep that from happening, since Paige is the only senior on the team. But I suspect those young kids have enough fire in them for the task, especially Jana and Morgan. That’s why I keep focusing on them.

And I’m going to continue referring to Jana as “Big Nika.”

Reaction Score

A few more game notes:

Reaction Score
If I recall, Maryland was ranked at #20 and UConn #8 and both teams were looking to recover from tough losses, UConn a 92-81 poor defensive loss to NC St and Maryland to SC. That could explain some of the chip on the shoulders of the MD players wanting to show that they were better than a #20 ranking. For the Huskies, it took PG to get everything going on defense with the rest of the team following. She literally took over in the second and third quarter and the Huskies ended up routing the Terps by 32. Besides, of course, Paige, what stood out for me were the excellent performances of the two freshmen, Ashlyn (4-7FG, 10 pts in 15 min) and KK (5-6 FG, 12 pts, 5 Ast, in 28 min).

Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing. I still have so many thoughts about Paige performance in the FF and just generally overall last year. I could make a whole thread about it (freshman PB vs PB last yr, pressure last year vs pressure upcoming year)
1000% this could be overanalyzing and she wasn't terrible in the game at the end of the day. But a lot was going on in that game. The whole Paige vs CC thing, she unfortunately got off to a slow start and Geno was ripping into her (per after first quarter interview), of course a re-emerging theme of a smaller quick defender (Gabbie Marshall) was on her, and Kate Martin - 5th year who is probably the same size and a bit stronger was going at her on the other end, lastly the last chance playing with ur class. I re-watched the first half a couple weeks ago, and she just struggled. I thought she got some good looks, and opportunities but she just couldn't convert. But it's a team game and her teammates definitely picked her up in those moments. They were up double figures for some of the first half and up 6 at half I believe. I think that's the good thing about having KC, and honestly if the rest of the roster is healthy, other options. I think next year if u have KC, AzF, CD (or AS), SS, JAF on the court, there's no way you shouldn't be able to generate good looks. I don't think recently, since PB has been here, there have been that many offensive options. The 22-23 would've had that, (Lou, Dorka, Azzi, CD) but injuries... But Geno's postgame comments after the ff loss, made it almost seem like she had an out of body experience. Obviously he's coach and sets the bar high. He had similar comments after the ND loss. But it just seems like a game where she needed to sit like for 5 minutes. And I think having such a deep roster he will have the opportunity to do that.
She averaged a startling 39 minutes per game in the NCAAs this year. After Jackson State, where she played 35, she played 40 minutes the next 4 games. In the Big East tourney, she averaged near 37. Even MJ sat at regular intervals with the Bulls. Having real depth at her positions (definitely a plural) will be a tremendous benefit to her and I think she will be a different player with the respites.

Reaction Score

A few more game notes:
Excellent post. The game you cited (Thu, Nov 16, 2023, a (5)+4 game) was the third game of the season. Imagine if the running game is one of the team’s points of emphasis every game.

Some of the highest point-scoring UConn Teams (see list) featured running games:
  • 1998-99 at 91.2: Sue Bird got injured; minutes and box scores are N/A pre-2001-02 season;
  • 2014-15 at 89.3: (5)+3 where minutes ranged from 18.3 to 28.7;
  • 2017-18 at 89.4: (5)+2 where minutes besides Nurse’s were under 30 minutes and ranged from 15.5 to 33.1.
The 2024-25 team most resembles the 1998-99, but a good proxy of the minutes played would be 2014-15 but on a (5)+4+ rotation with a flatter minutes distribution.

If the team’s point of emphasis is a running game, i.e. the starters and every rotation afterwards relentlessly probing and unleashing a running game from its defense, it helps this balanced, versatile young team:
  • go-with-the-flow players who typically tend to overthink (Aubrey, Q, Ice, Ayanna and maybe all the freshmen), can get in the flow quicker;
  • this keeps Geno from overplaying some of his players, in favor of a high-powered offense where “everybody eats”.
With four point guards (KK, Kaitlyn, Paige and Morgan) + energizer bunny Ash + aggressive perimeter defenders Aubrey and Q, the 2024-25 team can harass opposing point guards to create offense from turnovers.

Reaction Score
Excellent post. The game you cited (Thu, Nov 16, 2023, a (5)+4 game) was the third game of the season. Imagine if the running game is one of the team’s points of emphasis every game.

Some of the highest point-scoring UConn Teams (see list) featured running games:
  • 1998-99 at 91.2: Sue Bird got injured; minutes and box scores are N/A pre-2001-02 season;
  • 2014-15 at 89.3: (5)+3 where minutes ranged from 18.3 to 28.7;
  • 2017-18 at 89.4: (5)+2 where minutes besides Nurse’s were under 30 minutes and ranged from 15.5 to 33.1.
The 2024-25 team most resembles the 1998-99, but a good proxy of the minutes played would be 2014-15 but on a (5)+4+ rotation with a flatter minutes distribution.

If the team’s point of emphasis is a running game, i.e. the starters and every rotation afterwards relentlessly probing and unleashing a running game from its defense, it helps this balanced, versatile young team:
  • go-with-the-flow players who typically tend to overthink (Aubrey, Q, Ice, Ayanna and maybe all the freshmen), can get in the flow quicker;
  • this keeps Geno from overplaying some of his players, in favor of a high-powered offense where “everybody eats”.
With four point guards (KK, Kaitlyn, Paige and Morgan) + energizer bunny Ash + aggressive perimeter defenders Aubrey and Q, the 2024-25 team can harass opposing point guards to create offense from turnovers.
Good post. Minutes distribution will be something Geno hasn't had to deal with for his staters for almost two years. What he's able to do (assuming all healthy) in '24-'25 should interesting. As for point of emphasis, the running game seems to be the standard for UConn. Small item but not sure about slotting Morgan and Paige as PG.

Reaction Score
Small item but not sure about slotting Morgan and Paige as PG.
This is often on my mind, at least for Morgan. I watched a bunch of Morgan’s hs games and she was the everyday pg there. Not just a fill in. And she’s particularly good at leading a transition offense from the point. I think this is a position she can make work, and Geno may put her there eventually if not this year. She was also the “tip of the spear” for the press in high school. The real question is if it’d be better to leave the point to KK and Kaitlyn. It’s their best position by far, and Morgan looks like she play well at the wing too.

Morgan would be a big pg at >6’ and Geno has used a big pg before. I’m thinking of Evina and Kia. He knows how to make use of the advantages this provides.

I don’t see Paige being the formal pg this season. If playing her there meant KK and Kaitlyn don’t play then he’s not making the best use of his roster. Of course, major caveat, in a positionless offense it may not matter so much. Paige is likely to initiate the offense often. But not having her bring the ball up the floor or break an opposing press or guard a speedy opposing pg could free her up for more useful things.

One great virtue of this roster is that Geno has a lot of great ball handlers. Lots of great shooters too, I know. But the plethora of ball handlers may be what makes the team undefendable. KK Kaitlyn Azzi Ash Morgan Sarah and Paige of course — and maybe add Jana to this list — that’s a lot of press breakers and dribble drive threats. This is also something we’ve lacked in recent years.

Reaction Score
This is often on my mind, at least for Morgan. I watched a bunch of Morgan’s hs games and she was the everyday pg there. Not just a fill in. And she’s particularly good at leading a transition offense from the point. I think this is a position she can make work, and Geno may put her there eventually if not this year. She was also the “tip of the spear” for the press in high school. The real question is if it’d be better to leave the point to KK and Kaitlyn. It’s their best position by far, and Morgan looks like she play well at the wing too.

Morgan would be a big pg at >6’ and Geno has used a big pg before. I’m thinking of Evina and Kia. He knows how to make use of the advantages this provides.

I don’t see Paige being the formal pg this season. If playing her there meant KK and Kaitlyn don’t play then he’s not making the best use of his roster. Of course, major caveat, in a positionless offense it may not matter so much. Paige is likely to initiate the offense often. But not having her bring the ball up the floor or break an opposing press or guard a speedy opposing pg could free her up for more useful things.

One great virtue of this roster is that Geno has a lot of great ball handlers. Lots of great shooters too, I know. But the plethora of ball handlers may be what makes the team undefendable. KK Kaitlyn Azzi Ash Morgan Sarah and Paige of course — and maybe add Jana to this list — that’s a lot of press breakers and dribble drive threats. This is also something we’ve lacked in recent years.
Paige is never going to play PG again, I feel like Geno has made this clear by recruiting Chen, another PG. He likes PB off ball more than on ball. Cheli is a PG/F. Even if she isn't the PG, she's a great passer, which Geno likes in all his players.

I think what makes us "undefendable" is the fact that the opponents' defense is going to be limited. Starting next season if we're healthy, double teaming ceases to exist. We'll have 5 sharpshooters in Azzi, Paige, Sarah, Allie, and Caroline. A lethal midrange in Ash and Paige. KK is growing to be a 3 point shooter as well, and Q is developing as well. Any combo of PB and 2 other sharpshooters, and the defense is cooked. No doubling allowed on anybody because they'll leave someone open. This is what Geno needed when PB was struggling to get open from the tough D last year. Having Azzi out there during ND this year could've completely changed the game IMO.

Reaction Score
We'll see how thecoaches name their players to the hoophall awards to have a better understanding of what they are waiting from them, my bet is Paige on the Cheryl Miller award, her third position nominee

Reaction Score
We'll see how thecoaches name their players to the hoophall awards to have a better understanding of what they are waiting from them, my bet is Paige on the Cheryl Miller award, her third position nominee
She won the Ann Meyers Dridale, was second on the Nancy Liebermann

Reaction Score
PB was robbed of shooting guard last year. Efficiency should matter when you’re a shooting guard. Because, yknow, it tells how well you shoot the ball.

Reaction Score
Good post. Minutes distribution will be something Geno hasn't had to deal with for his staters for almost two years. What he's able to do (assuming all healthy) in '24-'25 should interesting. As for point of emphasis, the running game seems to be the standard for UConn. Small item but not sure about slotting Morgan and Paige as PG.
I agree with BoneDog’s assessment on Morgan above. I would amplify that Morgan is a mini-mini-Paige — can play 1-4, with lesser level of the traits such as craftiness, handles, shooting and playmaking that make Paige Paige.

On Paige as the point guard. This is a redux of the point guard debate:
  • Geno likes “looking-for-her-shot Paige”. This Paige version is usually off-ball. When Paige is the point guard, the younger players tend to Paige-watch.
  • Paige is already at the WNBA-level for 1-3. Where she plays in the WNBA primarily depends on the WNBA team that drafts her. Her play on UConn’s team depends on what is needed from her per possession, without any regard for the WNBA.
  • There are strategic times when Paige will have to play point guard, but this in crucial competitive (big-lineup/shooting-lineup)-situations-with-Azzi where separation is needed.
  • There are also times when Paige plays point guard to allow Kaitlyn and KK the chance to hone their off-ball skills for the next level.
Small nit on the running game as the point of emphasis:
  • There are UConn teams like the 2001-02 super team that practiced controlled aggression. A priori, they would dominate other teams, so they managed possessions with an eye toward the postseason.
  • There are UConn teams like 2023-24, post Aubrey injury, who have to strategically unleash its running game in spurts because it can quickly tire out its (5)+2 roster.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Paige is never going to play PG again, I feel like Geno has made this clear by recruiting Chen, another PG. He likes PB off ball more than on ball. Cheli is a PG/F. Even if she isn't the PG, she's a great passer, which Geno likes in all his players.

I think what makes us "undefendable" is the fact that the opponents' defense is going to be limited. Starting next season if we're healthy, double teaming ceases to exist. We'll have 5 sharpshooters in Azzi, Paige, Sarah, Allie, and Caroline. A lethal midrange in Ash and Paige. KK is growing to be a 3 point shooter as well, and Q is developing as well. Any combo of PB and 2 other sharpshooters, and the defense is cooked. No doubling allowed on anybody because they'll leave someone open. This is what Geno needed when PB was struggling to get open from the tough D last year. Having Azzi out there during ND this year could've completely changed the game IMO.
Yes!
I don't understand the fixation of PB at the point. It's like putting a ball and chain on your most effective scorrer limiting her.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Can't believe I'm admitting this but last night I watched the Fever vs Sun. . .

My opinion is that CC could have had a really GREAT game as a shooting guard. And the other Fever player could have had an impact on the game and not been humiliated.

Again, can't believe I'm saying this but I began to feel sorry for CC. A rookie at the PRO level trying to get by PRO defenders, trying to get open looks, trying to facilitate. Put into the game as a starter!!! What the hell were they trying to do? Humble her, teach her a lesson?

CC was lucky her primary defender got a leg cramp.

The Fever got their asses kicked.

Now back to UConn and Paige at the Point.
When you're in grade school and half the players can't dribble the ball you have your best player at the Point.

Next level junior high, again, your best player is probably at the Point.

High school. . . Yes, again your best player is highly likely your best option at the point. But by now you should have a couple other kids who can handle the ball and pass. Then a competent Coach will make them the PG and free up the best player to be the best they can be for the TEAM.

College level D1 if you have to have your best player at the Point, you and your staff SUCK at recruiting. Period. You can't recruit for Sh#t. Probably need to pull your head out of your a#s and get another career.

Chin, KK, Morgan, or even Ash will be the PG.
I don't understand why, but seems as if people think a player like Paige playing off the ball somehow losses their ability to facilitate when they get the ball in a scoring position and there is someone in a better position to score.

My GOD I might have to stay off the BY until November.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why, but seems as if people think a player like Paige playing off the ball somehow losses their ability to facilitate when they get the ball in a scoring position and there is someone in a better position to score.
From your lips to God's ear. I mean, this is practically the definition of who Paige is.

Also, agree about the Fever. Wheeler or Mitchell would be a better choice at pg. Aren't they kinda small for shooting guards in the W? As long as Caitlin has to work that hard to get her shot, she's going to struggle with FG%, as she did in the Sun game. She's a perfect 33% so far this season. She could score 30+/game and probably shoot better than 40% if they took her off the ball. Just my untrained eye talking here.

Reaction Score
Can't believe I'm admitting this but last night I watched the Fever vs Sun. . .

My opinion is that CC could have had a really GREAT game as a shooting guard. And the other Fever player could have had an impact on the game and not been humiliated.

Again, can't believe I'm saying this but I began to feel sorry for CC. A rookie at the PRO level trying to get by PRO defenders, trying to get open looks, trying to facilitate. Put into the game as a starter!!! What the hell were they trying to do? Humble her, teach her a lesson?

CC was lucky her primary defender got a leg cramp.

The Fever got their asses kicked.

Now back to UConn and Paige at the Point.
When you're in grade school and half the players can't dribble the ball you have your best player at the Point.

Next level junior high, again, your best player is probably at the Point.

High school. . . Yes, again your best player is highly likely your best option at the point. But by now you should have a couple other kids who can handle the ball and pass. Then a competent Coach will make them the PG and free up the best player to be the best they can be for the TEAM.

College level D1 if you have to have your best player at the Point, you and your staff SUCK at recruiting. Period. You can't recruit for Sh#t. Probably need to pull your head out of your a#s and get another career.

Chin, KK, Morgan, or even Ash will be the PG.

My GOD I might have to stay off the BY until November.
Chen and KK share PG role. Morgan will play a 3-4 likely, due to her above average height for a guard role.
The reason people want PB as point is because her court vision is better than anyones. She knows what play, where her teammate is moving before the defense does and plans accordingly. With a PG, it's not just about ball handling, you need to be smart enough to know how to move the bal around and what plays to run under the defense. It's understandable to want her as PG.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If Paige is PG do we have to accept it will lower her offensive production??

Reaction Score
Bueckers was moved from pg as a freshman because there were no consistent outside shooters for her to pass to. Her best position is pg where she has the ball in her hands, not having her get brutalized running off screens and playing catch and shoot. And 2024/2025 UConn is loaded with players who can score efficiently from anywhere on the floor. They only need a floor general and no one fills that role better than Bueckers.

There is no good reason for her to not play her best position this coming season. And "giving someone else a chance" is not a good reason.

Reaction Score
Per my post above, Paige is not the point guard in most possessions, but is the point guard in some possessions .

It is not difficult # to find examples where Paige was the point guard in a possession *1, *2, *3, *4. In a 2/3-point guard offense, point guard duties are fluid @. In 2024-2025, UConn has four point guards.

KK Arnold good game:
  • BET 3/9/2024 Providence: Replay
  • Play-by-Play: First 2:59 @: Third 6:02 *1. All Fourth quarter possessions when Providence deployed its full court press (8:04, 7:14, 6:49, 6:11,) *2
  • *1 After Aaliyah was injured by an overly aggressive Providence player.
  • *2 I can see Morgan in this role which allows Paige to play downwind.
Nika Muhl good game:
# I chose good offensive games for KK and Nika that had replays ## available.

## 2023-04 Game Replays:

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom