Ever Seen a Play Reviewed, Called on the Field and then Reversed a couple minutes later? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ever Seen a Play Reviewed, Called on the Field and then Reversed a couple minutes later?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
If they don't call that, they have to deal with Duke whining about it. Call it? No blow back (none that matters anyway).

Reaction Score
This angle is very damning. This is a perfect tackle. If he took a lower angle he would have been “launching” any higher and its helmet to helmet. I think he hit his shoulder
These rules have made things very difficult for the defensive players and even more difficult for defensive players who play for an Independent team with no leverage with anyone at the moment.

We had a call last week, where an offensive player at end of play, lunges forward with helmet first. The defensive player in many cases, has already started his tackle before the offensive player lowered his head - doesn’t see it coming.

Targeting defensive player???

How is a player supposed to tackle this player?

I think leading with the helmet needs to applied to both the offensive player and the defensive player equally.

If you think about it logically, there’s no reason why it shouldn’t…

Reaction Score
These rules have made things very difficult for the defensive players and even more difficult for defensive players who play for an Independent team with no leverage with anyone at the moment.

We had a call last week, where an offensive player at end of play, lunges forward with helmet first. The defensive player in many cases, has already started his tackle before the offensive player lowered his head - doesn’t see it coming.

Targeting defensive player???

How is a player supposed to tackle this player?

I think leading with the helmet needs to applied to both the offensive player and the defensive player equally.

If you think about it logically, there’s no reason why it shouldn’t…
The rule is an absolute joke and the auto-ejection needs to be put in the trash bin.

Reaction Score
R u saying these are ACC refs? If so we would be better with refs from a Div 3 conference.
On the big screen at the Rent, there is no way our player led with his helmet. He was standing straight up.
I also thought there were several first down calls right in front of us where they called a first down where the ref was placing the ball behind the sticks and then had them move the sticks for a first down.
Yup, noticed that too.

Reaction Score
Jackson's helmet made first contact with Leonard's helmet. Technically speaking it was correct to remove him. That said he was pulling up when it happened so it wasn't an obvious call and they should have been allowed to make that judgment call on the field.

Everyone seems to want to make excuses for why we can't win against an ACC team? It's probably because all of the FCS, not just the ACC, is better than we are.

I am seriously worried about the Sacred Heart game at this point.

Reaction Score
There should be no "conference affiliated" referees. If there is anything that should be handled centrally by the NCAA, that is it. With all the money the NCAA pulls in it'd be peanuts to pay, train and maintain responsibility for officials.

It wasn't even roughing the passer let alone targeting.
Absolutely agree that officials should not be affiliated to a conference.

Reaction Score
Jackson's helmet made first contact with Leonard's helmet. Technically speaking it was correct to remove him. That said he was pulling up when it happened so it wasn't an obvious call and they should have been allowed to make that judgment call on the field.

Everyone seems to want to make excuses for why we can't win against an ACC team? It's probably because all of the FCS, not just the ACC, is better than we are.

Disagree. Neither most of us reasonable fans nor Mora blamed this loss or other loses on this review of the review. How many times will there be a review of the review if this sets precedent? Hopefully this type of stupidity is limited to the ACC.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This is the rule:
Targeting and Making Forcible Contact With the Crown of the Helmet (Rule 9-1-3) -

No penalty, Contact was not with the crown of the helmet.

Targeting and Making Forcible Contact to Head or Neck Area of a Defenseless Player (Rule 9-1-4).

No penalty, QB wasn't defenseless. He was in the pocket attempting a forward pass. The excuse makers will say Mitchell illegally contacted the neck area, but that is ridiculous interpretation. Contact was with the top of the face mask. It was a textbook "heads up" tackle that they now explicitly teach in youth football.

Use of the helmet as a weapon and intentional (targeted) contact to the head or neck area.

No penalty, the helmet wasn't used as a weapon, nor was the contact intentionally targeting the head or neck.

Reaction Score
Haven't seen a replay yet. If they showed it at the game I missed it and live I my eyes were downfield. Saw something out of the corner of my eye. I thought I heard on the radio on the way home that the explanation was the call was due to something that happened after they hit the ground and they initially only reviewed the initial hit. It sounded lame to me. But as I said I haven't seen it and the video in this thread doesn't go that far.

Reaction Score

No one is making excuses.

No one.

But the beauty of a Discussion Board is you can discuss things like this….. Even your response prompted some posters to post the rule itself and some of us (myself included) learned some things along the way.

Reaction Score
Duke got hit with a controversial targetting call against Clemson....ACC refs really are hard on anything approaching helmet/helmet contact...

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Though in that game, the defending player was more in an unnatural launching position. One angle makes it look bad while the other shows he misses the QB’s head. In yestersday’s game, Mitchell seemed to be going in a more natural tackling position per the footage I saw. I doubt ACC refs would’ve called targeting had it been on a UConn player.

Reaction Score
I think that the refs sure might have...they have been free with targetting calls...they have been notorious about over protecting the players. They made that clear last year.

The UConn defender made contact with his helmet to the head and neck area...looking at the play, I could see the call...the rules call for calling when in question. The defender went from low to high in his tackle.

ARTICLE 4. No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting. When in question, it is a foul. ...

• A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Sadly as an independent with zero weight in the scheme of things this is one area where we are being hurt by lack of affiliation (I still believe we are better off as we are than if we were to try to return to the AAC).

Standard practice is the visiting school's refs work non-conference games. The ACC officials know they'll face no repercussions if they are slanted towards the ACC school on calls. This does not even need to be a conscious decision, just the lens they are viewing things from. There will never be a case where in a game we are visiting an ACC school that the refs will be as cognizant of borderline calls and to be absolutely sure the call should go against the visiting team before calling it against as they would if they were working for the conference that employs them.

Reaction Score
Jackson went in with his head up and hit the Duke QB with his facemask. This is how you are supposed to hit to prevent neck injuries. Jackson did not drive the QB to the ground but pushed him. The whole thing was a complete BS call. No targeting and no personal foul.

Reaction Score
Obviously, the better team and outcome was not much in doubt. However, unclear initial targeting call even before the post-review change up. Even Puke ex-work colleagues agreed; 2 even questioned the roughing the passer call, then a later defensive interference/holding/whatever call on UConn’s #5.

Inconveniently, not the first incident of conference-affiliated referee teams screwing UConn. Example: shystery MAC refs last season enabling Ball State pulling a win out of what was headed to a Cardinals’ loss. IIRC, also an ACC-crew calls and 1st down ball placements in this year’s NC State game. Others ???

Without conference-affiliated refs, independent UConn’s not in a strong position signing game contracts and has been shystered at times. Today’s change up, absolutely ¥£€#% aggregious.

Next week, Mountain West refs? AAC refs for Rice and USF? ACC shysters again for bcu, etc.

Anyway, 1st sentence, &@%#£ Dook. Arrrrgh! 77-74
You can add two questionable pass interference calls against UConn in the NC State game. In last night's OSU-ND game, the exact defensive play by OSU was not called pass interference as the ones that were called against UConn in that first game. Even though last nights game was a blow out, these early devastating calls by biased officials, chance the temperment of the players on the field and effects the outcome of the game.

Reaction Score
I think that the refs sure might have...they have been free with targetting calls...they have been notorious about over protecting the players. They made that clear last year.

The UConn defender made contact with his helmet to the head and neck area...looking at the play, I could see the call...the rules call for calling when in question. The defender went from low to high in his tackle.

ARTICLE 4. No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting. When in question, it is a foul. ...

• A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground
there was neither a crouch nor an upward thrust. Yes, he was going forward. Take that away and we're watching a bunch of mannequins.

Reaction Score
You can add two questionable pass interference calls against UConn in the NC State game. In last night's OSU-ND game, the exact defensive play by OSU was not called pass interference as the ones that were called against UConn in that first game. Even though last nights game was a blow out, these early devastating calls by biased officials, chance the temperment of the players on the field and affects the outcome of the game.
Another bad call last night, albeit after the game hit out of hand - the late hit personal foul on Durante Jones early 3rd quarter , when the QB hadn’t even stepped out of bounds yet.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Duke got hit with a controversial targetting call against Clemson....ACC refs really are hard on anything approaching helmet/helmet contact...

He went head first like a spear while Jackson went in straight up and tried to knock the pass down

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom