ESPN has acquired the Miami Beach Bowl (founded and operated by the AAC) | The Boneyard

ESPN has acquired the Miami Beach Bowl (founded and operated by the AAC)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Probably for the best - ESPN runs almost all of the bowls anyway and this saves it from ever sliding to CBSSportsNet.

Moving it to Texas makes it more appealing for SMU/Houston/Tulsa/whoever the hell else we have out there.

Reaction Score
ESPN Events acquires Miami Beach Bowl, which will move out of Florida

>>“We are proud of the postseason opportunities that we have been able to provide to student-athletes through our founding of the Miami Beach Bowl, and we appreciate the relationships that we have built with the Miami Marlins, Marlins Park and the cities of Miami and Miami Beach,” AAC commissioner Mike Aresco said in a release. “This transfer makes sense on many levels. We are excited to enhance our overall relationship with ESPN and to continue our affiliation with the bowl.”<<

Reaction Score
Shannon Green‏ @osknights 11m11 minutes ago
.@American_Conf just announced ESPN has acquired the Miami Beach Bowl. the bowl game was founded and operated by the AAC since 2014.

Brett McMurphy‏ @McMurphyESPN 8m8 minutes ago
Miami Beach Bowl leaving Miami after only 3 years. Bowl game likely headed to Frisco, Texas

Brett McMurphy‏Verified account @McMurphyESPN 1
Relocated Miami Beach Bowl will be played in Frisco, Texas, a 20,500 MLS stadium that also annually hosts FCS title game

Brett McMurphy‏Verified account @McMurphyESPN 4m4 minutes ago
Frisco Bowl will feature AAC vs. Sun Belt in 2017 & 2019 & AAC vs. MAC in 2018

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
photo_1_448.jpg

Toyota Bowl?
#smallbutaffordable?

Reaction Score
and you know if we go 6-6 we are getting sent there on a Tuesday the second week of December

Reaction Score

CL82

Reaction Score
and you know if we go 6-6 we are getting sent there on a Tuesday the second week of December
TBH, I'd be grateful for that series of events.

CL82

Reaction Score
To recap, ESPN buys our bowl and moves it to a soccer stadium that hosts the FCS championship?

Is there a reason we haven't burned the ESPN campus to the ground?

(Metaphorically, of course.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pure garbage.

Which part?

Conference tie ins are essentially the same - it used to be AAC, Conference USA, MAC and Sun Belt Conference so they whacked C-USA.

The attendence since it started has been 20k, 21k and 15k.

I want to see pay-out...

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Bowl attendance (ugh don't get me started) is weak at best. Host it in a 60,000 seat stadium and it will look terrible. Put it in a 20K stadium and the house can be full and looks good on TV. Less overhead for costs means a better payout.

This could be ESPN's new model on these bowl games. Lowering event overhead(venue costs) to make money.

Reaction Score
Boy, this doesn't sound too P6 to me. Good lord this violates every basic principle of sound marketing and brand building.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Our favorite station is laying off a lot of people

My guess they are looking for the best deal to save money since they have been sinking for the last year or so.

Maybe the state will bail them out again :(

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Bowl attendance (ugh don't get me started) is weak at best. Host it in a 60,000 seat stadium and it will look terrible. Put it in a 20K stadium and the house can be full and looks good on TV. Less overhead for costs means a better payout.

This could be ESPN's new model on these bowl games. Lowering event overhead(venue costs) to make money.
I agree 100%. No one goes to the minor bowl games so why host them in large stadiums? At least this bowl will be played in a stadium that will likely have better sight lines for a football game as opposed to when it was played in a baseball stadium in Miami. The smaller seating capacity means nothing as they'd never attract more than 21-22k to any of these games.

The stadium hosts the FCS championship. I'll take that as a sign that it's a good football stadium and better then going to a game in a stadium meant for baseball. I hate football games played in baseball stadiums which is why it drives me crazy we have to play BC at Fenway. I'll still be there but it's gonna suck from a viewing perspective.

Reaction Score
I'd rather see a playoff for G5 versus these horrible bowl games. Be cool to start the playoffs in early Dec and send the champion to the P5 playoff when it expands to 8.

CL82

Reaction Score
I'd rather see a playoff for G5 versus these horrible bowl games. Be cool to start the playoffs in early Dec and send the champion to the P5 playoff when it expands to 8.
I'd rather see an expanded P5 playoff system. Having a G5 playoff is tantamount to declaring in a separate subdivision.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This is embarrassing and a huge blow to the "prestige" of the AAC. Most Texas high school stadiums are nicer than this stadium.

Not worried about it. Its already a bowl game played before Christmas and as such it has no prestige no matter where it is played. Low attendance at Miami Marlins park vs this MLS facility won't make a difference on the tv screen. To have prestige it needs to be a P6 opponent in a game played within 5 days of New Years or else its just another garbage bowl.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom