ESPN article about Aaliyah | The Boneyard

ESPN article about Aaliyah

Reaction Score
1707489637719.png

Edwards' braids, a blend of purple and gold she's had since eighth grade, are a tribute to her idols: the late Kobe Bryant and her late brother Jermaine

Reaction Score
Great story about a fantastic person. She certainly has the "it" factor and I feel a great future in pro basketball. I can't even fathom how great her season could have been if UConn had another big to take some of the attention off Aaliyah. The team has played really hard this season and will win their league and make the tournament and all those accomplishments come down to how well Aaliyah has been this year and how many minutes she is able to play. Really a remarkable kid.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Some quotes that got me -

"What I've faced here," Edwards says, "it's not for the weak."
(and perhaps this is why some players stay at UConn, to prepare for life post-college, regardless of their goals)

"She struggled early, trying to figure out a way," says Olivia Nelson-Ododa, a former UConn forward who now plays for the WNBA's Connecticut Sun. "A lot of players quit, transfer, give up on themselves, but she's been consistently trying to improve and get better. It shows and the spot she's in, there was no doubt she was going to be here."

She says UConn has taught her how to "embrace being a pro."
(this had been reported a number of times as to UConn players being pro-ready, regardless of their role on a WNBA team)

Reaction Score
Beautiful article. Aaliyah could have cut and ran after her freshmen season. Heck she could have left after her sophomore year, especially if she or any of her friends/family read comments in the boneyard chat, jeez. The fact that she stayed at UConn speaks volumes about her character and her mental toughness. She is going to have a wonderful career at the professional level, which is why I am happy the WNBA is expanding. They need a few (4) more teams. Too much talent is going to be sitting benches or getting 4-8 minutes a game.

Reaction Score
But yeah, ESPN hates UConn….
I appreciate you hosting the General Forum and rarely say anything on the UConn home, but I have to say I had no idea y'all thought that til I joined here. The first time I saw it, I thought someone was making a joke.

ESPN hates Geno and the UConn women every bit as much as they hate Nick Saban and Alabama football.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
View attachment 96228
Edwards' braids, a blend of purple and gold she's had since eighth grade, are a tribute to her idols: the late Kobe Bryant and her late brother Jermaine
While it is understandable with Kobe's and his daughter's death, and this error is frequently made by members of the press, she does not wear the braids out of admiration for Kobe at all. Though she may have gotten tired of hearing the mistake and just went with it. In an interview at the time of her commitment she stated the Lakers were very much her brother's favorite team and in memory of him (singular) she wore their colors. Adding Kobe or anyone else diminishes her brother's memory.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I appreciate you hosting the General Forum and rarely say anything on the UConn home, but I have to say I had no idea y'all thought that til I joined here. The first time I saw it, I thought someone was making a joke.

ESPN hates Geno and the UConn women every bit as much as they hate Nick Saban and Alabama football.
Of course Tennessee fans perpetually bring up that ESPN favors Geno and UConn. We all know the origin of that, eh.

Reaction Score

I'm still trying to figure out why the "ESPN hates UCONN" is a thing

Reaction Score
Don't recall that being the case with respect to her parents, but why would their professional background matter? They could be a well-rounded family overall and it continues on in how Aaliyah conducts herself.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
While it is understandable with Kobe's and his daughter's death, and this error is frequently made by members of the press, she does not wear the braids out of admiration for Kobe at all. Though she may have gotten tired of hearing the mistake and just went with it. In an interview at the time of her commitment she stated the Lakers were very much her brother's favorite team and in memory of him (singular) she wore their colors. Adding Kobe or anyone else diminishes her brother's memory.
Here is Aaliyah saying the braids are for her brother.

Reaction Score
Hou Ha Aaliyah (in reference to how french soccer Eric Cantona was received by Manchester Utd fans)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Listen to them talk about UConn football. Never missed a chance to denigrate them.
Even Dan O? He practically wears a UConn cheerleader outfit and waves blue and white pom-poms

Reaction Score
Excellent point, and I never knew that! The press along with the sports commentators all jumped on the Kobe train, and treat the story as fact. Honoring only her brother's memory should be noted by all, front and center! Thanks for the inside scoop!

Reaction Score
Don't recall that being the case with respect to her parents, but why would their professional background matter? They could be a well-rounded family overall and it continues on in how Aaliyah conducts herself.
Even though the profession has declined shockingly in the past twenty five years, is it unreasonable that someone would expect teacher’s kids to be well spoken and articulate?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Excellent point, and I never knew that! The press along with the sports commentators all jumped on the Kobe train, and treat the story as fact. Honoring only her brother's memory should be noted by all, front and center! Thanks for the inside scoop!
Just noticed the video copied in full above. It was suppose to copy starting at 3:20, for anyone else wanting a quick check.

Reaction Score
Just noticed the video copied in full above. It was suppose to copy starting at 3:20, for anyone else wanting a quick check.
Nothing better than a great "Fact Check"! Well done, RMB2.

Reaction Score
Even Dan O? He practically wears a UConn cheerleader outfit and waves blue and white pom-poms
They loved us when we’re in the Bottom 10. Always made sure to highlight us.

Reaction Score
Even though the profession has declined shockingly in the past twenty five years, is it unreasonable that someone would expect teacher’s kids to be well spoken and articulate?
No, but is it unreasonable for someone's child to be well spoken and articulate without their parents being in the teaching profession? That's the point.

It shouldn't matter what the parents do. They raised a child who conducts themselves well.

Reaction Score
I'm still trying to figure out why the "ESPN hates UCONN" is a thing
Too much hate out there. I'm glad ESPN does the games. I'd like to see more LaChina Robinson doing the games and less of some others. They drive me nuts with the endless promos of their other shows but that's business. I do think they need to use halftime to focus on analyzing the game they're airing and other women's games and not other sports.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom