ESPN announcers’ grade: D- | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ESPN announcers’ grade: D-

Reaction Score
again and again. Would love to know who got the foul, who came in, who left. How about the facts, the game, and not the chit chat. With you on this!
Biggest win of this year and we get almost 50 posts about the announcers. However bad you folks perceive them to be, I enjoyed the hell out of the game and hardly noticed the announcers

Reaction Score
Two color commentators never works, particularly when both are horrible at the job. They should never leave the studio, where both are excellent, even when together. Fortner is a very good color announcer; she belongs there; Landers belongs at a Fantasy basketball bar and grille.

Accurate post, but just as an aside I admit to not even knowing there was such a thing as a “fantasy basketball bar and grille”. At the same time I admit to having several fantasies in a bar and grille, so maybe I was in one & didn’t even know it.

Reaction Score
Biggest win of this year and we get almost 50 posts about the announcers. However bad you folks perceive them to be, I enjoyed the hell out of the game and hardly noticed the announcers
Let me guess. You had the sound turned off or your hearing aid wasn’t working?

Reaction Score
The announcers stayed focused on the game until the score got out of hand. At that point, the only people who still cared about the fine points of the play were probably Boneyarders. The other 99% of the audience would have been bored to tears if they HAD continued to talk about the offensive and defensive strategies, or anything of that nature. Cut them some slack.

I do agree that they should have announced who picked up the fouls and how many the player had. The only way I knew that KLS got her third foul was when Marisa held up three fingers while the camera was on her.
I agree. The game was essentially over midway into the second period and how much analysis was required to note that South Carolina’s defensive strategy was to prevent Uconn from making shots within 10 feet of the basket. So, Lou committed her third foul and that fact was not emblazoned on the screen. Again, the game was decided and, other than hardcore BYers, who cares. Kara and Rebecca tried to maintain some level of interest in the proceedings and cannot be blamed that the game was no contest.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
I guess I can't bring myself to flunk out one of Our Girls as well as one of our honorary girls. Rebecca and Kara are better than they showed last night.

They're way better, but individually. No way they should both be doing the same game because it becomes just chitty chat if the score gets out of hand. And Nell's accent.....really hard to tolerate. She and Andy just need to go milk the cows and slop the hogs.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Guess again smart a-- my hearing is fine butI was having such a great time( watching) I didn't let the announcers ruin it. Sorry you had to endure the experience.
Eh, if the announcers didn't annoy you, you're hearing is not fine. Might want to get that checked. :cool:

Reaction Score
It’s not the lower score, the one below D-, because the profanity filter would delete it.

Horrible, horrible announcing. Men’s basketball, dog clothing, tomatoes, WNBA rosters - anything but the game. Just awful.
This is EXACTLY why I make a habit, when any network other than SNY is doing our games, to mute the TV and let Bob Joyce and Deb Fiske take over on WTIC. Rebecca and Kara should stick to their studio "shtick"

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
My two cents....Nell Fortner at the breaks got WAY too excited (especially when she couldn't say anything bad about Geno/UConn), and her voice raised to the glass-shattering level. Andy Landers, in response, S-L-O-W-E-D down his speech and lowered his voice to a very quiet tone. I swear, the third time she interrupted Andy, a voice in her head set told her to stop it, as she just shut up in mid-sentence. The third announcer in the studio, who is such a cipher I can't remember her name, was a nonentity.

Thank heavens for Bob and Debbie being synced perfectly to the game!!

Becca and Kara deserve better than the situation they were put in last night. So does Holly.

Reaction Score
I don't understand the thinking that believes that people want to listen to off-topic chit chat throughout a basketball game. How would you feel if they were in your living room talking about that stuff?
I get that the game was out of hand early. But if you weren't then interested, would you stay watching for the banter? And nearly disregard the excellent plays before you?
To me, the announcers could and should do more to promote WCBB in general when not talking about the game (And make no mistake, someone should talk more about the game!). They do talk about it some, but there is plenty more to talk about and ESPN covers much of it on their various platforms. Instead they seem to go onto other subjects too quickly -Mens CBB, Superbowl, tomatoes, dogs wearing clothes. And when the game is out of hand it seems like the "analyst" could take some time and dissect more plays and offensive and defensive schemes.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have only read Nan's opening remark. It was bad, so very bad. But it lost all sense of professionalism or the mission at hand in the second half. The worst job of sports broadcasting I have ever heard and from some of my favorite people. And, while I'm at it, and I mean this constructively: Kara burn that dress!!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Focused? I switched to mute and radio after just 2.5 minutes, as Rebecca and Kara were ignoring the game and talking non-stop about the SC-Missouri spat (pun intended).
I love the pun! Spot on. Or is it spat on?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"Kara burn that dress!!"

So I wasn't the only one.

My opinion is that Lobo is OK doing color with a PBP guy. Lawson is very good doing color with a PBP guy. Put them together as a threesome and it eclipsed the gawd-awful chit chat performance by Sue Bird and the airhead from a couple of weeks ago.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
As bad and annoying as the broadcast was as the game wore on, I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone that isn't regularly subjected to listening to Bill Walton's blathering nonsense. He doesn't wait for a game to get out of hand, he's off topic and random before the opening tip even goes up, and stays that way during the entire broadcast. He can seldom be bothered to make any comments that have any relevance to the game that is actually happening. Nothing else is anywhere near as bad as a Walton broadcast. Until you experience that routinely, you ain't seen (or heard, as it were) nothin'.

Walton is an insufferable bore whose brain was fried long ago by way too many bong hits and who knows what else.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
As much as so many hated the announcer's, one comment had me laughing. That was when Gabby grabbed another incredible rebound and Lobo said something to the effect as, "If I just had that kind of athleticism for one day...". Amin said "What would you do?", and Kara said, "Hang on the rim. All day. That's easy!". I laughed for a while over that.

Reaction Score
I am a new member of the Boneyard, but I have enjoyed reading posts here for several years. I have only been following UCONN for the last 8 years and this is my first post.

I liked Kara and Rebecca as announcers last night. I like their personalities and I enjoy hearing what they’re thinking as they watch the game, rather than just a constant description of the scoring, rebounds, and fouls. The broadcast last night reminded me of my favorite sports announcers from my teenage years, Pee Wee Reese and Dizzy Dean, who did the Major League Game of the Week. I loved to watch the game and listen to the stories, which often had nothing to do with the game. When I just looked up Dizzy Dean. I found a quote that reminded me of those times: While doing a game on CBS, Dean once said "I don't know why they're calling this the Game of the Week. There's a much better game, Dodgers and Giants, over on NBC."

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Just re-watched the glorious 2nd quarter

And I'm really amazed, that someone...either Rebecca, Kara, the guy doing the play by play (allegedly), the director, the Asst. Director, someone in the studio, an exec back in Ct, nobody... seemed to notice that proper attention wasn't being given to this monumental beatdown; shots not called, action not being followed.

This was ESPN's prime-time feature.

The only possible conclusion is that in the absence of a competitive game,
Woman's BB was not pleasing enough for their prime-time audience to warrant
a traditional call...sad.

One would think that either Rebecca or Kara would have noticed and filled in, rather, they were co-conspirators.

Really hard to understand, hardly their first rodeo. Or they were being so instructed.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Guess again smart a-- my hearing is fine butI was having such a great time( watching) I didn't let the announcers ruin it. Sorry you had to endure the experience.
I did not notice it while the game was live, maybe because I was enjoying watching the team execute so well. However, after watching it a second time, I heard what so many are complaining about. To me it was bad and it started before the game got out of hand. I'm glad I did not notice it live.

Reaction Score
Nope, sorry, no slack from me. If the game is out of hand, talk about the types of defenses being played, point out particularly good plays and how only a handful of college players can do it, etc. Educate the people interested in women’s basketball, don’t blather about Dawn Staley’s dog. I don’t give a hoot if Kara likes tomatoes, either.
I'm really surprised with Rebecca and Kara joining in the nonsense banter offered by the play by play amateur. Rebecca tried, Kara chatted too much on non bb stuff while the pbp guy had no clue. With a week long plus hype flooding ESPN the least ESPN could have provided a quality pbp person .

Reaction Score
My two cents....Nell Fortner at the breaks got WAY too excited (especially when she couldn't say anything bad about Geno/UConn), and her voice raised to the glass-shattering level. Andy Landers, in response, S-L-O-W-E-D down his speech and lowered his voice to a very quiet tone. I swear, the third time she interrupted Andy, a voice in her head set told her to stop it, as she just shut up in mid-sentence. The third announcer in the studio, who is such a cipher I can't remember her name, was a nonentity.

Thank heavens for Bob and Debbie being synced perfectly to the game!!

Becca and Kara deserve better than the situation they were put in last night. So does Holly.

The Afr Amer girl in the studio is polished and provides some youth. I’m sorry but Andy Landers is not tolerable w his hand gestures . His content can be on target but he talks too slow. Feel uncomfortable picking on him. I’m okay w Nell
PAC 12 announcers are really awesome. They have a natural enthusiasm and make it about the game. Knowledgeable and not haughty like Kara is starting to project in 3 person booth. She bores me now. I like Holly.
Anyone ever see Pam Ward smile?

Last edited:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I won’t defend a bad performance (including some of mine), and Thursday night was just truly dreadful. Perhaps we (BY) disliked it so much because we’ve seen all the broadcasters involved do better work on other occasions or in other settings.

But...

Lawson, Lobo, and Amin have lots of chatty company. Have you seen a NBA game on TV lately? College men’s game? The modern approach to sports broadcasting on TV is to let the video carry the information, with the verbal content consisting of reactions, sounding much like people watching a game in a sports bar with the sound off.

I came up through local radio, as did generations before me. When I got to TV, I knew that a radio PBP style wasn’t desirable for that medium. Adaptation was required. But the newer generations have come to TV from print journalism, side line reporting, playing, coaching, and even Internet podcasting. They have never had to orally describe a game in narrative form to another person in detail. Neither have they received much training specific to their new task. So they lapse into silly digressions and reactionary “bar room” banter.

How one comes to a medium sets the table for future performances.

Another example? If you’ve been to the movies in the last decade, you’ve often experienced problems of not hearing some or all of the dialog. And no, it isn’t your hearing aid batteries. It’s a problem of contemporary film and video makers NEVER having had a course or two in basic audio. The buzz today is the visual, including animation, special effects, editing and action. Audio? Get all the explosion sounds and crank up the music score. And once again, the audience (the purpose of the exercise) gets left out.

As I’ve said here several times, good broadcast play-by-play isn’t easy. But good grief! It isn’t brain surgery either.

Reaction Score
Well i don't hardly listen to annoucers,I get into the game and I know who has what for fouls,thats the fun of it for me.
I see this is your first post. Welcome Iowa fan! I listen to the majority of the games on the radio and watch the replay the next day. I really like Bob Joyce. He's easy to listen to.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
PAC 12 announcers are really awesome. They have a natural enthusiasm and make it about the game. Knowledgeable and not haughty

I agree. A bit of homers, but you have to expect that when they are working for Pac 12 Network.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom