ESPN 2021 class rankings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN 2021 class rankings

Reaction Score
I am not a South Carolina fan as I have pointed out time after time....get that straight. I have no biased in any observations that I make....period. I call it like I see it just being a WBB fan for years. You on the other hand are biased.....

You seem a little bit like a South Carolina fan, but I'll take you at your word.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
You seem a little bit like a South Carolina fan, but I'll take you at your word.
It only seems that way because I defended the program. I have defended other programs on here for the same reason. I enjoy watching the teams that are proven powers...UCONN, Baylor, Notre Dame (before last year.....lol), South Carolina, Oregon, and a few others that pop up from time to time. They are all great programs and the separation seems to be very narrow now. UCONN is still the traditional measuring stick...regardless....

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Stop making it personal with Alydar. He’s a longtime thoughtful poster on the Boneyard. You disagree. Leave it at that. My two cents.
I concur.....end of that conversation. I try to be about as fair as possible....sometimes fair just doesn't cut it.

Reaction Score
I enjoy the back and forth over South Carolina finishing as the #1 team in the most widely respected polls.

Finishing #1 in the Massey is an accomplishment that will no doubt be celebrated by Oregon fans for decades to come.

I think of all the joy that Alabama football fans have over their Houlgate, HFA, and CFRA National Championships and it does my heart good to know that there are at least two fan bases will look back on the 2019-2020 seasons with great pride.

Are you claiming that Gamecock fans aren't celebrating the AP vote? That it's Oregon fans? LOL Then who are those people on this board crowing over a No 1 poll ranking as if it was a notional championship? Has the SCar coach taken the Oregon job and I missed it because I never read that Graves claimed one?

As for the respect the AP gets here I suggest you search "AP top 25" on this board and see the respect it gets.

The tallest homunculus is not tall and the best opinion poll is still crappy. And the AP poll is the most mentioned poll but maybe that's because the AP has a virtual monopoly in the media.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I enjoy the back and forth over South Carolina finishing as the #1 team in the most widely respected polls.

Finishing #1 in the Massey is an accomplishment that will no doubt be celebrated by Oregon fans for decades to come.

I think of all the joy that Alabama football fans have over their Houlgate, HFA, and CFRA National Championships and it does my heart good to know that there are at least two fan bases will look back on the 2019-2020 seasons with great pride.
If people want to take great pride in celebrating their persistent belief in the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny, more power to them.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, Oregon could have won the NC but that team is really gone after graduation. SC is the team from last year's top with their talent mostly intact so they should start out #1 until UConn beats them...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
In my opinion, Oregon could have won the NC but that team is really gone after graduation. SC is the team from last year's top with their talent mostly intact so they should start out #1 until UConn beats them...

South Carolina is the best choice for preseason #1 but it's not accurate to say their talent is "mostly intact." SC lost 2 starters who were drafted #6 and #7 in last year's draft, including their leader and 3-year starter at point guard. That's significant.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Actually the most published poll, for obvious reasons. The AP is an opinion poll. Massey is statistical composite and therefor, IMO, a much more respectable ranking.

Reaction Score
Are you claiming that Gamecock fans aren't celebrating the AP vote? That it's Oregon fans? LOL Then who are those people on this board crowing over a No 1 poll ranking as if it was a notional championship? Has the SCar coach taken the Oregon job and I missed it because I never read that Graves claimed one?

As for the respect the AP gets here I suggest you search "AP top 25" on this board and see the respect it gets.

The tallest homunculus is not tall and the best opinion poll is still crappy. And the AP poll is the most mentioned poll but maybe that's because the AP has a virtual monopoly in the media.

I think being #1 in the final AP and Coaches Poll is kind of neat.

I was just responding to your excellent point that Oregon fans can celebrate their #1 finish in the Massey Poll.

They should do so with the same fervor that Alabama football fans celebrate their full panoply of national titles. I'm totally in favor.

Reaction Score
If people want to take great pride in celebrating their persistent belief in the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny, more power to them.

While I'm not sure those are similar things, but if you would like to celebrate your belief in the tooth fairy and Easter bunny, I'll leave you to it.

Your religion is your own business.

Reaction Score
Actually the most published poll, for obvious reasons. The AP is an opinion poll. Massey is statistical composite and therefor, IMO, a much more respectable ranking.

Sure, if Oregon fans want to celebrate their much more respectable ranking in the Massey statistics based computer rating, that's fine by me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

You leave out the Coaches' Poll. You also leave out the NCAA committee rankings/seeds.

Massey is a statistical composite of the programmers' opinions. For example: They have Oregon as the strongest RPI. The NCAA has SCar as the strongest RPI. Who really had the stronger schedule? Realtime has SCar at 3 - Oregona t 4. Massey has Oregon at 5 and Scar at 7. Is any of that "fact"? No. Head bang You have to start with opinions to reach the conclusion.

But, I do not mind Oregon claiming an "asterisk championship" too. 'Cause that's the best we've got we've got.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Wow. South Carolina fans spending WAY too much energy and words defending an imaginary championship.
That's actually "not" what they are doing. They are pointing out that they finished the season as the No.1 team in the country. It's no ones fault that the Tournament wasn't played but facts are facts....the only reason anyone has a problem with them stating the truth about finishing No.1 and starting the new season as the preseason No. 1 is pure jealousy.....I actually could care less what a particular fan base does to celebrate a successful season. You guys just riding this...."well Massy this and there was no champion....." sounds like sour grapes over what South Carolina has become. They have a long way to go to match a UCONN or Baylor...and maybe some others traditional wise.....but they are getting there......so let them enjoy their success without the petty insults....get over it.

Reaction Score
Proved what? Did the UConn wins in 2013, 2014, 2015, or 2016 prove anything to S Carolina fans? No, it didn't. They came back the next year with the same unflinching bravado. So why would they expect anything less from UConn fans after they won one game?
I admire the S Car program but one game doesn't prove anything. UConn was coming into their own by March and it was conceivable that UConn would have won a rematch in the FF. After all, UConn and Notre Dame beat each other there after losing the first three games of the season. The FF is a whole 'nother animal from the reg. season.
UCONN was not beating SC last year. Nor Baylor or Oregon.

Reaction Score
That's actually "not" what they are doing. They are pointing out that they finished the season as the No.1 team in the country. It's no ones fault that the Tournament wasn't played but facts are facts....the only reason anyone has a problem with them stating the truth about finishing No.1 and starting the new season as the preseason No. 1 is pure jealousy.....I actually could care less what a particular fan base does to celebrate a successful season. You guys just riding this...."well Massy this and there was no champion....." sounds like sour grapes over what South Carolina has become. They have a long way to go to match a UCONN or Baylor...and maybe some others traditional wise.....but they are getting there......so let them enjoy their success without the petty insults....get over it.

Hold on Jumpstart. I haven't posted one word in this thread about South Carolina as to whether or not South Carolina should or shouldn't have been number 1, etc., etc. I'm just astonished at how many times South Carolina backers have jumped in to defend their "championship" and number 1 rating.

Finally, check yourself if you think UConn fans are in any way, shape or form "jealous" of South Carolina at what "they have become." We will acknowledge that they are a good program. But win a couple in a row before even thinking that UConn fans have any reason for jealousy. Of any program.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hold on Jumpstart. I haven't posted one word in this thread about South Carolina as to whether or not South Carolina should or shouldn't have been number 1, etc., etc. I just astonished at how many times South Carolina backers have jumped in to defend their "championship" and number 1 rating.

Finally, check yourself if you think UConn fans are in any way, shape or form "jealous" of South Carolina at what "they have become." We will acknowledge that they are a good program. But win a couple in a row before even thinking that UConn fans have any reason for jealousy. Of any program.

We need more Ducks on here to banter with.

Barnyard Brawl.

Reaction Score
I think that Uconn could have beat Baylor if they had another chance. They didnt have a prayer against SC and Oregon though.

Reaction Score
I think being #1 in the final AP and Coaches Poll is kind of neat.

I was just responding to your excellent point that Oregon fans can celebrate their #1 finish in the Massey Poll.

They should do so with the same fervor that Alabama football fans celebrate their full panoply of national titles. I'm totally in favor.

First, Massey isn't a poll, it's an algorythm-based system in which regional bias is not a factor, unlike the polls.

I don't see Oregon fans coming over to this board to brag about a straw poll. They refrained from the same over the top furvor that Gamecock fans are spewing over their pseudo-championship.

Just one more point, at the end of the regular season in 2017 UConn was the unanimous No 1 in both polls. S carolina was 4th, just like UConn was in 2020.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

In 2017 UConn entered the NCAA's undefeated and the unanimous No 1 in every poll and ranking service. In addition they had beaten four-time loser and No 4 S Car by double digits. S car also lost to Duke, Tenn & Missouri. Hardly the resume of a championship team compared to UConn but it worked out for them.

And you say that UConn had no chance? LOL That's what UConn fans said about Miss St. :(

Reaction Score
In 2017 UConn entered the NCAA's undefeated and the unanimous No 1 in every poll and ranking service. In addition they had beaten four-time loser and No 4 S Car by double digits. S car also lost to Duke, Tenn & Missouri. Hardly the resume of a championship team compared to UConn but it worked out for them.

And you say that UConn had no chance? LOL That's what UConn fans said about Miss St. :(
That was 2017 though....with a totally different team.

Reaction Score
That was 2017 though....with a totally different team.

It was a worse situation for S Car in 2017 that UConn in 2020. And if they could win a title then then so could have UConn last year. I'm not saying it would have happened but simply that it happens often in wcbb that the No 1 in the AP poll doesn't win the championship.

What I can't understand is how a fan base that is predicting a championship in 2021 and others beyond 2021 needs to try and claim a bogus one for a year that's done and gone.

Reaction Score
Speaking of the 2017 Miss state debacle ....did anyone here notice at the 2:15 mark of the 2nd QTR the cam swivels to Sue Bird the goddess and she says to Megan Rapinoe "Why does he have her in?" LOL referring to Natalie Butler after she turns it over with a travel :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom