Elite Premium Portal Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Elite Premium Portal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Iona was good under Cluess and then they totally sucked for two seasons before they hired Pitino and he got them really good right away. UConn was the best team in the country and then totally sucked three seasons later.

This isn't difficult, Iona was bad when Pitino took over, UConn was bad when Hurley took over. I'm impressed with coaches who take over bad teams and immediately make them good, that's what Pitino does.
Iona was one year removed from an NCAA appearance when he took over. And had multiple NCAA appearances in the not too distant past.

Hurley took over a dumpster fire, that I will agree with you on. Hurley punched up, Pitino punched down. Let’s not confuse what he did. Him going to that league was gonna get him the marginal guy that he needed to succeed at that level. Massive step down for him but attractive for kids that would otherwise never have a chance to play for a “legendary” coach.

Reaction Score
Iona was one year removed from an NCAA appearance when he took over. And had multiple NCAA appearances in the not too distant past.

Hurley took over a dumpster fire, that I will agree with you on. Hurley punched up, Pitino punched down. Let’s not confuse what he did. Him going to that league was gonna get him the marginal guy that he needed to succeed at that level. Massive step down for him but attractive for kids that would otherwise never have a chance to play for a “legendary” coach.
One year removed from an NCAA appearance? Is this what we're doing now? They were 12-17 in that cancelled NCAA tournament Covid year, the season before Pitino took over. They were horrible. They sucked for two seasons before he took over.

The rest of this means nothing. Pitino took over a really bad team and made them really good right away because that was the job available to him. Now he's taking over a high major program and I believe he'll make them good right away because that's what he does.

Reaction Score
Imagine taking the stance that Rick Pitino isn't one of the best coaches in the sports historyand won't be able to sell NYC/MSG/Big East and get St. John's rocking in short order.
Definitely not the position I’m taking. Fully expect that to happen. I was just pointing out they Iona was not as bad off as others stated, nor was it they much of a challenge for someone of Pitino ilk.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Definitely not the position I’m taking. Fully expect that to happen. I was just pointing out they Iona was not as bad off as others stated, nor was it they much of a challenge for someone of Pitino ilk.

Fair enough - that makes sense.

Reaction Score
Tim Cluess, who left Iona due to illness, the head coach of those six tournaments, is arguably the best coach in Iona history, and after one season with an interim coach, Pitino took over the program.
Iona
2018-19: 17-16 (12-6) Won Conference Tournament (16 seed, 15 pt loss to UNC) Cluess
2019-20: 12-17 (9-11) tournament cancelled Arnold
2020-21: 12-6 (6-3) Won Conference Tournament (15 seed, 13 pt loss to Alabama) Pitino

They were hardly a dumpster fire. Pitino is a great coach, but Iona also made a lot of sense because they had been quite good for a MAAC team literally just the year before.

Reaction Score
Gotta think Timberlake has been holding out in order to get a visit with us in. We're local and will have plenty of PT available. Our staff is great on visits, so it's just a matter of pitching fit and next-level opportunities. If he opts not to come here, it's not because of anything our staff did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom