Edey is a large human | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Edey is a large human

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I'm going to go on the record as saying Alex Karaban guarding Zach Edey is a less-than-stellar idea.
The only way we are facing Purdue is if we meet in the final 4. I’m all for seeing that matchup, if it means we in the final 4.

Reaction Score
Edey sat a good chunk of time against Illinois Friday night- Trey Kauffman Renn had a career game with Edey in foul trouble.
Purdue has a more complete and deep team than last year

Reaction Score
I'm going to go on the record as saying Alex Karaban guarding Zach Edey is a less-than-stellar idea.
I'm not doing this, but if i were to craft an argument for the other side, i would say that last season the front line of Fairleigh Dickinson measured 6'5" and 6'7".
Again, i'm not advocating for guarding him with a player that's 9 inches shorter than him, but there is a scheme (similar to FDU's that day) that runs doubles at him from different locations on the court and scrapes at the ball. I don't think he's a good enough passer out of a post double to really take advantage.
Then again, I would of course like to see Clingan/Edey, and Samson/Edey far more than the alternative if i had the choice.

But i do imagine a world where Edey is trying to guard AK on the perimeter, and having a tough time, totally negating any advantage Purdue would have had on that end.

Again...just thinking out loud.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Edey sat a good chunk of time against Illinois Friday night- Trey Kauffman Renn had a career game with Edey in foul trouble.
Purdue has a more complete and deep team than last year
Purdue apologizer on a UConn fan site! No!

Reaction Score
I'm not doing this, but if i were to craft an argument for the other side, i would say that last season the front line of Fairleigh Dickinson measured 6'5" and 6'7".
Again, i'm not advocating for guarding him with a player that's 9 inches shorter than him, but there is a scheme (similar to FDU's that day) that runs doubles at him from different locations on the court and scrapes at the ball. I don't think he's a good enough passer out of a post double to really take advantage.
Then again, I would of course like to see Clingan/Edey, and Samson/Edey far more than the alternative if i had the choice.

But i do imagine a world where Edey is trying to guard AK on the perimeter, and having a tough time, totally negating any advantage Purdue would have had on that end.

I think the original question is that IF we employed small ball out of necessity(fouls, injury) or choice, what would the defense on Edey(or any other legit center) look like. Purely just a fan doing what fans do, talk about their team.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Edey put up 21 and 15 on FDU; the way they defended him isn't why they won. It's because Purdue shot 5-26 on 3s.

Reaction Score
Edey put up 21 and 15 on FDU; the way they defended him isn't why they won. It's because Purdue shot 5-26 on 3s.
Fair enough. Like i said, i'm only making the argument for the other side. I'm not really sure I even buy it.

I'm essentially saying "the thing has happened, so it CAN happen"

I'll say this: If i were to tell you that Edey is going up against a team that has a front line of 6'5"/6'7", would you have taken the over or under of 22 points? Keep in mind that for the season, he averaged 22.3 points and 12.9 rebounds/game. He also only took 11 shots in the game, and averaged 14 attempts/game for the season. Purdue shot 26 3's that day, when they shot an average of 20.5 for the season. IDK if FDU had anything to do with that, but it seems their strategy was to take the ball out of Edey's hands and give up perimeter shots instead.

Now imagine that it was our team instead of FDU playing that style.

Again, I'm not saying it's a good idea. I'm not saying i would like to see it. And i'm certainly not saying that i wouldn't have a serious nervous pit in my stomach watching it. I'm just saying that it isn't as crazy as it may sound.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom