Early Final Four Game | The Boneyard

Early Final Four Game

Who wins between Louisville/South Carolina?

• Louisville

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • South Carolina

Votes: 47 71.2%

• Total voters

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Who ya got? I think this is going to be an extremely physical hard fought game. Both teams play great defense and with a ton of grit. I wouldn't be shocked if Walz implements a similar game plan to the one he put together vs Baylor in 2013. Be overly physical with Boston and hope they don't call all of the fouls. I don't think Louisville has the post play to keep up with SC but I'm guessing it'll go down to the wire.

Reaction Score
Gotta vote for my alma mater!

This could be a game where first one to 50 wins.

Reaction Score
It’s gonna be crazy intense. I think you are right. First one to 50 wins.

Reaction Score
I know it won't be easy, but I wouldn't discount Louisville when it comes to the post position. Cochran isn't exactly a pushover herself and she's trained against Cardoso in the past. Liz Dixon is serviceable so if Cochran can stay out of foul trouble, she can spell her for breathers as necessary.

Guard play will be key in my opinion. Van Lith, Smith, Hall versus Henderson, Cooke, Beal. Kind of sound like law firms taking each other to court. I'm also wondering who matches up with Engstler. I'm assuming Saxton will have that responsibility. I'm also guessing Amihere will get some time even though her minutes have been up and down recently.

Both teams pride themselves on defence. Whoever handles the pressure best has the advantage. Are we sure it will get close to 50 though?

Reaction Score
I know it won't be easy, but I wouldn't discount Louisville when it comes to the post position. Cochran isn't exactly a pushover herself and she's trained against Cardoso in the past. Liz Dixon is serviceable so if Cochran can stay out of foul trouble, she can spell her for breathers as necessary.

Guard play will be key in my opinion. Van Lith, Smith, Hall versus Henderson, Cooke, Beal. Kind of sound like law firms taking each other to court. I'm also wondering who matches up with Engstler. I'm assuming Saxton will have that responsibility. I'm also guessing Amihere will get some time even though her minutes have been up and down recently.

Both teams pride themselves on defence. Whoever handles the pressure best has the advantage. Are we sure it will get close to 50 though?
I’d rather play Louisville than Stanford or UConn but Louisville is very much capable of taking this one (and the title). All four teams left hit bumps in the road throughout the season, but Lousiville appears to be peaking at the right time. Any time you play a team that parallels your style (Tennessee, Louisville) there’s an elevated risk of danger, in my opinion (not that danger isn’t 360° when you’re playing in the final four).

Put another way, this is the team I’d choose to play as a SC fan, but I say that knowing full well this could be a tossup.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Well I guess we're guaranteed a motion offense vs a gritty grind 'em down defense for the championship game!

Reaction Score
I’d rather play Louisville than Stanford or UConn but Louisville is very much capable of taking this one (and the title). All four teams left hit bumps in the road throughout the season, but Lousiville appears to be peaking at the right time. Any time you play a team that parallels your style (Tennessee, Louisville) there’s an elevated risk of danger, in my opinion (not that danger isn’t 360° when you’re playing in the final four).

Put another way, this is the team I’d choose to play as a SC fan, but I say that knowing full well this could be a tossup.
The key for Louisville is the same as it has been all year. Emily is the glue to the team, not particularly great at any one thing, but does a lot of everything.
She is going to be better in the WNBA, they look for that type of player.

Reaction Score
I think if SC takes advantage in the paint early they’ll win but if we settle for outside shots it’ll play into Louisville’s hands.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Whoever wins this one is going to win ugly. At one point Louisville and SC were 1-2 in defense. South Carolina's offense, while not scintillating, is better than Louisville's. Louisville's, OTOH, is streaky. They might win with 48 points one game and score 75 the next. I'm going with my gut (and my yen) and voting for Louisville.

One thing regarding the Griner defense: That worked so well because Brittney was an emotional player, and it got into her head when she was being hacked and the refs were letting it go. Boston is much more even-keeled, so I think if they do try it, Boston will roll with the punches. Almost literally. I'm not seying that it won't be effective, though.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Voted for Carolina, Rooting for Louisville...

Reaction Score
If Louisville can hold Boston to 15 and 10, and get the same from Cochran and Dixon combined they win.

Reaction Score
If Louisville can hold Boston to 15 and 10, and get the same from Cochran and Dixon combined they win.
They’ll have to hold Saxton off as well. She’s been killing it.

Reaction Score
They’ll have to hold Saxton off as well. She’s been killing it.

they were talking about the 5 position. Saxton will be guarding Engstler and probably Robinson too when they go small. We go deeper on the bench LA and Cardoso should focus on having a big game. Everyone is sleeping on our backcourt but I think they will have a very good game regardless if Louisville sags in the paint or if they press. Henny looks like she’s ready to end with a bang and while Zia has played outstanding defense I think she really finds her offense in Minneapolis.

Reaction Score
I like South Carolina in this match-up. They are battle tested. They have the poise and their defense is tough. If they keep that same offensive mindset they had against Creighton, they will win.

Reaction Score
Who ya got? I think this is going to be an extremely physical hard fought game. Both teams play great defense and with a ton of grit. I wouldn't be shocked if Walz implements a similar game plan to the one he put together vs Baylor in 2013. Be overly physical with Boston and hope they don't call all of the fouls. I don't think Louisville has the post play to keep up with SC but I'm guessing it'll go down to the wire.
I am FULL of nervous energy. Keep having flashbacks to seeing Aliyah practically collapse to her knees on the court while sobbing so hard she could barely breath after the loss to Stanford last year and my heart physically aches at the thought of that happening again vs Louisville.

Reaction Score
I am FULL of nervous energy. Keep having flashbacks to seeing Aliyah practically collapse to her knees on the court while sobbing so hard she could barely breath after the loss to Stanford last year and my heart physically aches at the thought of that happening again vs Louisville.
Meditation Namaste GIF by Miguel

As I've said to some friends during the tournament........................meditation helps ;). Well it does for me at least.

Reaction Score
Big difference would be Boston is a much better free throw shooter. Give her 15 she can make 12 or more. If first team to 50 wins, those 12 get them a quarter of the way there. And a lot more people get to shoot 2 free throws instead of just inbounding the ball.

Reaction Score
Me too. I like Paige, I like Haley Jones, and I like Emily Engstler, but I want this so bad for Boston. I am beyond tired of seeing that clip aired in TV spots. And if they’re going to show it, at least show the class act move from Jones and Fran Belibi where they came to hug her. That was bigger than basketball and a much nicer moment to feature.

Reaction Score
Louisville.
The conventional wisdom says SC because of the dominance in the paint. The best strategy for the undersized underdog is to make sure there's much more action everywhere else on the court. Louisvillle's style makes that happen. 69- 64.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom