OT: - Early fandom | The Boneyard

OT: Early fandom

Reaction Score
I remember, when I was in middle school, walking down to the convenient store every morning and buying 'The National' sports daily (thinking it superior to 'The Sporting News') to read up on all my favorite pro but mostly college basketball players.
I loved seeing news about players I didn't get to see very often: Earvin Johnson at UNO, Todd day and Lee Mayberry, Chris corchiani and Rodney monroe. Also knowing that my hometown Huskies were now a big part of the conversation.

What are your early memories of when you became a big CBB fan? What jerseys did you own? Whose poster was on your wall?

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
My brother going to UConn in '77 got me into their basketball and soccer. After that, I rooted for ND and Michigan on a national level, though I eventually changed my evil ways from that. I enjoyed Bird at Indiana St, Len Bias, Tripucka & Woolridge at ND. Hated Ainge for his full court run against ND, but he became a Celtic so I had to let it go.

Reaction Score
I remember, when I was in middle school, walking down to the convenient store every morning and buying 'The National' sports daily (thinking it superior to 'The Sporting News') to read up on all my favorite pro but mostly college basketball players.
I loved seeing news about players I didn't get to see very often: Earvin Johnson at UNO, Todd day and Lee Mayberry, Chris corchiani and Rodney monroe. Also knowing that my hometown Huskies were now a big part of the conversation.

What are your early memories of when you became a big CBB fan? What jerseys did you own? Whose poster was on your wall?
Nice reference to "The National" a short-lived but great sports daily. I started buying that in Hartford when The Courant raised their prices from 25 cents to 50 cents.

On to your question. My father listened to UConn or watched all the time so I started watching UConn in late 60s and remember UConn playing at Curry Hicks against UMass. I remember watching Larry Bird in 1979 vs Magic. I also remember when UCLA was beaten by ND to end their winning streak.

But what really fed my passion for college basketball was one March day in 1981. That was the day that Depaul lost to St. Josephs, Danny Ainge beat UCLA and a week later beat ND, U.S. Reed led Arkansas to upset of Louisville and Rolando Blackmon helped Kansas State in win over Oregon State. I have been hooked every since March 14th, 1981.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nice reference to "The National" a short-lived but great sports daily. I started buying that in Hartford when The Courant raised their prices from 25 cents to 50 cents.

On to your question. My father listened to UConn or watched all the time so I started watching UConn in late 60s and remember UConn playing at Curry Hicks against UMass. I remember watching Larry Bird in 1979 vs Magic. I also remember when UCLA was beaten by ND to end their winning streak.

But what really fed my passion for college basketball was one March day in 1981. That was the day that Depaul lost to St. Josephs, Danny Ainge beat UCLA and a week later beat ND, U.S. Reed led Arkansas to upset of Louisville and Rolando Blackmon helped Kansas State in win over Oregon State. I have been hooked every since March 14th, 1981.
Love this answer! My went to uconn during late 60s early 70s and always talks about 3 big men the Huskies had (this is detable) who were referred to as the killer B's??? Or the 3 B's??? Anybody remember this?

Reaction Score
I was 9 when I started following UConn. Corny Thompson led the Huskies to the tournament that year. A few years later I had a star-struck moment when in my family's package store I came around a corner fast and I banged my head on Chuck Aleksinas' shins. He worked for the local beer distributor and was helping with delivery. He talked to me for a few minutes and asked me if I played hoops. I was a Husky from that day.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I started going to games and watching when I was like 7 in 1989. Dan Cyrulik lifted me up to dunk at some kids UConn event. I was devastated and confused when Toraino Walker got in trouble. I always grabbed the poster at the first game and had it on my wall all season. I didnt quite grasp the enormity of the Dream Season, but I could tell all the adults were mesmerized and going nuts. Uconn basketball has always been the only team I have cried over. lol.

Reaction Score
Love this answer! My went to uconn during late 60s early 70s and always talks about 3 big men the Huskies had (this is detable) who were referred to as the killer B's??? Or the 3 B's??? Anybody remember this?
Bill Corley graduated in 1967. Don't remember a decent big for a few years afterward.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I listened to UConn games on the radio when they had Bob Staak. Bob Boyd and Ron Hrubala.

Two games a year were on TV, that being CPTV, when we played URI and UMASS

I think we played URI one year when we were short handed. Took the air out if the ball, the score was 35-32

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I listened to UConn games on the radio when they had Bob Stack. Bob Boyd and Ron Hrubala.

Two games a year were on TV, that being CPTV, when we played URI and UMASS

I think we played URI one year when we were short handed. Took the air out if the ball, think the score was like 16-14
My dad talks about Ron Hrubala more than any other athlete in uconn history

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was 9 when I started following UConn. Corny Thompson led the Huskies to the tournament that year. A few years later I had a star-struck moment when in my family's package store I came around a corner fast and I banged my head on Chuck Aleksinas' shins. He worked for the local beer distributor and was helping with delivery. He talked to me for a few minutes and asked me if I played hoops. I was a Husky from that day.
Based on your handle, I thought you were older, a lot older.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Bob Staak
Bob Boyd

And I'm going to guess Robert Taylor, who could be Bob Taylor

Reaction Score
Was a young kid during 78-79 season which is when I first remember watching UConn and they made it to NCAAs (losing to Cuse in first round which started my hatred of the Orange ever since). I remember going to some hone games for UConn during that season and the next at the New Haven Coliseum.

Reaction Score
My Moms boyfriend started taking me to takes in 82 when I was 7. Saw games against Chris Mullin and Pat Ewing. Remember our husky macscot got into a fight with the St Johns mascot and they had to be separated. After the dream season, my dad finally revealed that my grandfather played for Uconn in the thirties. My fandom was locked in for life at that point.

Reaction Score

But what really fed my passion for college basketball was one March day in 1981. That was the day that Depaul lost to St. Josephs, Danny Ainge beat UCLA and a week later beat ND, U.S. Reed led Arkansas to upset of Louisville and Rolando Blackmon helped Kansas State in win over Oregon State. I have been hooked ever since March 14th, 1981.
I’m sorry, this was maybe the best post ever. Do I remember Dwight Clay hitting the baseline jumper to end UCLA’s winning streak? Heck yes. In the upstairs den of my friend Phil Sheehey’s house. Do I remember 3/14/81 (and you didn’t describe the way St Joes beat #1 DePaul, on a guy about to take a corner jumper at the buzzer to win the game spotting a teammate wide open underneath and whipping a pass to him underneath for a lay in)? Absolutely. Was at my wife’s (then fiancé’s) apartment my senior year in college, having kicked her out for the pretend reason that I needed to work on my thesis when I really wanted to see March Madness. You may be a little too young to really remember when modern college basketball started (NC State’s double OT win over UCLA to dethrone the King) which I watched from a hotel in the borscht belt at a business convention my father was at.

What great memories. And what an underrated sport college hoops has always been.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I became a uconn fan for the 2007-08 season. I had a poster on my wall of the 2013-14 national championship team. I can remember going to a uconn game at the XL center in Hartford and WBA in Bridgeport. I am really passionate about the uconn mens team. When they are losing or have lost I get really emotional and I start swearing. Go UConn

Reaction Score
I was a sports fan from a family of sports fans . as long as I can remember
But Baseball , Boxing and College Football &HS football were my first sports . I was a paperboy from an early age helping my older brother and then on my own at age 8
I devoured the paper especially sports nightly In 1953-54 I discovered our state University had a good basketball team and guys like The legendary Art Quimby and Worthy Patterson became heroic figures .whose exploits I read about . In 1954 my brother who I shared s room with joined the Marines and I inherited his radio and more importantly control of its content . I discovered I could listen to UConn games live on WTIC Hartford than just read about them and thus the addiction begin.

Reaction Score
My Moms boyfriend started taking me to takes in 82 when I was 7. Saw games against Chris Mullin and Pat Ewing. Remember our husky macscot got into a fight with the St Johns mascot and they had to be separated. After the dream season, my dad finally revealed that my grandfather played for Uconn in the thirties. My fandom was locked in for life at that point.
I was at that St John’s game unfortunately sitting among a bunch of Johny fans. Their mascot was dressed in Native American garb and the fight took place right in front of us . We lead all the way but Perno managed to find a way to lose at the end. I remember their fans Chanting “Where’s the Puppy now ” It was a low moment .

Reaction Score

suspicious philip j fry GIF

Not sure whether to make fun of you for calling it ”convenient store," or to question if I have been living a 40-year lie thinking it's "convenience store."

Reaction Score
suspicious philip j fry GIF

Not sure whether to make fun of you for calling it ”convenient store," or to question if I have been living a 40-year lie thinking it's "convenience store."
Blame spell check

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom