Drought | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Drought

Reaction Score
What's that I hear? Is it rain? It still rains in Connecticut?

The streams have dried up and the lawns of southwestern Connecticut have turned a shade of ochre due to our current drought: we haven't had measurable rain since June 27th. Combining this along with our incoming week-long heat wave has bummed me out, both in the short team of hating the heat/humidity (we don't have HVAC in our 1890s house), but also worried for our planet.

How has the recent drought affected your area?

Reaction Score
Have you guys checked out the Mitsubishi ductless mini-splits? They're not cheap, but they work great and are far preferable to window units imo.
Seriously considering one for next year.....our main floor has a large kitchen, living room and small dining room, somewhat open layout with vaulted ceilings and 5 drafty 4'x6' single pane sliding windows. When we first moved in, I bought a 14,000 BTU portable AC unit and all it did was make noise....didn't drop the temp by a single degree. I was thinking that in addition to upgrading our panel to 200 amp we'd also need to replace all of the windows first, but I'd be fine with skipping new windows if I the AC unit was sized appropriately to the space. Mr. Cool has a 36K BTU unit for about $3K.....upgraded electrical panel would probably run about $2K.....if that's what the cost amounts to, doesn't seem to be a bad deal at all if it allows us to enjoy that part of our house in the summer. Anyone have any experience with the Mr. Cool units?

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
I'm in the southern CA desert. We've had 1" rain for the last two years, normal is 4". So Disney is putting in a new development with a 33 acre pond, another developer is putting in a large surf / wave pool using potable water fed by Colorado River water, there are 100+ golf courses within a 10 mile radius of me that consume about a million gallons per day. The upscale developments have water fountains, ponds, hundreds of acres green grass and water the courses throughout the summer even though all the residents go north. What, a rich person worry about water for the next generation, are you kidding?

This area has the best winter bicycling for me at age 73, that's why I am here. But the immorality here is beyond what I can handle. Moving to Tucson.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I'm in the southern CA desert. We've had 1" rain for the last two years, normal is 4". So Disney is putting in a new development with a 33 acre pond, another developer is putting in a large surf / wave pool using potable water fed by Colorado River water, there are 100+ golf courses within a 10 mile radius of me that consume about a million gallons per day. The upscale developments have water fountains, ponds, hundreds of acres green grass and water the courses throughout the summer even though all the residents go north. What, a rich person worry about water for the next generation, are you kidding?

This area has the best winter bicycling for me at age 73, that's why I am here. But the immorality here is beyond what I can handle. Moving to Tucson.
Tucson is worse! I have family in Tucson and Phoenix. You will never drink tap water again knowing it's 60 to 70% reclaimed waste water.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

If you have never read Edward Abbey's The Monkey Wrench Gang, you should.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Have you guys checked out the Mitsubishi ductless mini-splits? They're not cheap, but they work great and are far preferable to window units imo.
A contractor that fixed our spigot specializes in ductless AC/heating, but we weren't interested.

Maybe we'll invest in them whenever we sell the house 20+ years down the road, but we'd really only need AC downstairs for about 15-20 days out of the year. During heat waves, I do almost all of our cooking on the grill, so that helps with the indoor heat big time.
I had a window unit downstairs, and central AC upstairs. Got the Mitubishi min-split about 7-8 years ago. It's a game changer and now reaches the whole downstairs effectively. We have an open foyer, so some AC "leaked" down, but the window unit wasn't cutting it.

With @Hey Adrien! 's smaller house, one would do the job, but maybe isn't even needed with an attic fan. I grew up in a house with an attic fan, they are amazing until it gets muggy. They can't do anything about the humidity.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Tucson is worse! I have family in Tucson and Phoenix. You will never drink tap water again knowing it's 60 to 70% reclaimed waste water.

If you have never read Edward Abbey's The Monkey Wrench Gang, you should.

Moving from SoCal to Tucson with any part of that being based on water usage and water rights is at best a push.

Without getting too cesspoolish, California's legacy water rights which were deeded before many laws and regulations are a helluva barrier to overcome. Also, that central valley region of California which produces so much of our country's produce year round isn't good for water conservation. Add in the almond farming out there which is completely non-native to the area and soaks up so much water and you start to see the affect. Don't like mass agrifarming and cattle polluting the air with their farts??? Drink almond milk!! Except farming almonds is another horrible choice for the region.

Long story short, IMO, California really needs to settle on desalinization and for their water needs and free up the Colorado river water for Vegas and Arizona. Not that I believe Vegas has any reason to exist as it does any more than New Orleans should exist below the water line of the Mississippi, or much of southeast Florida being built on swamps, but you tell everyone they have to leave.

Reaction Score
Blame me for the drought . We normally spend 5-6 weeks in Ct June into July .
In those 30+ days it normally rains a minimum of a third .
My wife decided we would come for Thanksgiving through Christmas this year
So . I would get prepared for an early winter with my luck.
Hopefully I’ll survive maybe even see a basketball game.

Reaction Score

Been keeping a regular eye on youtube videos about the dropping levels in Lakes Mead and Powell. Hoover Dam is barely producing electricity because the water level has dropped below the intake towers. I believe it's currently at inactive pool status

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Moving from SoCal to Tucson with any part of that being based on water usage and water rights is at best a push.

Without getting too cesspoolish, California's legacy water rights which were deeded before many laws and regulations are a helluva barrier to overcome. Also, that central valley region of California which produces so much of our country's produce year round isn't good for water conservation. Add in the almond farming out there which is completely non-native to the area and soaks up so much water and you start to see the affect. Don't like mass agrifarming and cattle polluting the air with their farts??? Drink almond milk!! Except farming almonds is another horrible choice for the region.

Long story short, IMO, California really needs to settle on desalinization and for their water needs and free up the Colorado river water for Vegas and Arizona. Not that I believe Vegas has any reason to exist as it does any more than New Orleans should exist below the water line of the Mississippi, or much of southeast Florida being built on swamps, but you tell everyone they have to leave.
Agree with everything you've said except freeing up the Colorado. The river and Lake Mead are already in danger of drying up. My sense is we should be making it more difficult and expensive to live in the desert. I also think this applies to real estate development along shorelines. Desalinization is a good idea, which I like a lot better than waste conversion

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

The Central valley was once swampy. Drained it and switched to agriculture. Almost certainly a lot of lasting damage from that. It's crazy what they still try to grow there. CA water usage is absurd. We need to shut off the spigot. I vaguely recall a state tried in my Clean Water Act class in law school and lost due to those legacy rights.

Reaction Score
Agree with everything you've said except freeing up the Colorado. The river and Lake Mead are already in danger of drying up. My sense is we should be making it more difficult and expensive to live in the desert. I also think this applies to real estate development along shorelines. Desalinization is a good idea, which I like a lot better than waste conversion
Lake Powell is also drying up, in fact I think Reclamation was impounding water at Powell rather then sending it downstream to Mead.

Reaction Score
What's that I hear? Is it rain? It still rains in Connecticut?

The streams have dried up and the lawns of southwestern Connecticut have turned a shade of ochre due to our current drought: we haven't had measurable rain since June 27th. Combining this along with our incoming week-long heat wave has bummed me out, both in the short team of hating the heat/humidity (we don't have HVAC in our 1890s house), but also worried for our planet.

How has the recent drought affected your area?
Were your grandparents worried for the planet? If they lived in the 1930’s or as they’re remembered “the Dirty Thirties”, they had it far worse.

Reaction Score
Were your grandparents worried for the planet? If they lived in the 1930’s or as they’re remembered “the Dirty Thirties”, they had it far worse.

Oh boy, here we go....

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Seriously considering one for next year.....our main floor has a large kitchen, living room and small dining room, somewhat open layout with vaulted ceilings and 5 drafty 4'x6' single pane sliding windows. When we first moved in, I bought a 14,000 BTU portable AC unit and all it did was make noise....didn't drop the temp by a single degree. I was thinking that in addition to upgrading our panel to 200 amp we'd also need to replace all of the windows first, but I'd be fine with skipping new windows if I the AC unit was sized appropriately to the space. Mr. Cool has a 36K BTU unit for about $3K.....upgraded electrical panel would probably run about $2K.....if that's what the cost amounts to, doesn't seem to be a bad deal at all if it allows us to enjoy that part of our house in the summer. Anyone have any experience with the Mr. Cool units?
The window replacement is well worth the money. I was kind of ambivalent about it until we actually did it. It makes a huge difference in comfort and would certainly make whatever air conditioning/heating system you end up with much more effective.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

My Grandparents smoked 3 packs a day and didn't make it to their 70s so they weren't even worried about themselves

Reaction Score
I hit this site up every Thursday morning to get a feel for the US as a whole.

New England isn't too bad except the NW burbs of Boston and Southern NH. Nothing a few good douchings can't rectify.

I'm in those NW burbs and we've been dodging rain for a couple weeks now. Every 40-50% chance day it has ended up not raining and every day has been 85+.

Didn't check my weather today but it was bright and sunny and hot and so watered my garden in an effort to prevent blossom end rot when it did finally rain and then an hour later it rained. Classic.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score

Tucson has excellent bicycling and has a superb trail system. All of Arizona has serious long-term water problems, but it appears like they are aware of the problem.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You know it's bad when this is the radar picture, showing it's raining, but out the window there is no rain.

1658165672053.png

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
The window replacement is well worth the money. I was kind of ambivalent about it until we actually did it. It makes a huge difference in comfort and would certainly make whatever air conditioning/heating system you end up with much more effective.
I agree with you on the windows. We've done it in several houses and it has made a huge difference. Talk to your tax accountant too because there are tax credits (or at least there were).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom