Dorka on Lisa Leslie Watch List | The Boneyard

Dorka on Lisa Leslie Watch List

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good for Dorka. She has a lot to prove this season - not in a critical wayl - I expect her to be really good.

But... Geno said if she plays the way he expects, she will be a top 5 draft pick. So essentially she's not only playing for her team and for a NC, but to show the WNBA that she's deserving of Geno's expectations. Go get 'em Dorka! I think you rock it this season!!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Yeah, let's just give this one to Boston now, don't need to wait til the end of the season.

2 Oregon St. transfers on the list. Grothaus at UW? I wonder if she would be here if she stayed in the Patriot League?

Reaction Score
Dorka, Boston, Kitley, Holmes and Czinano seem for real. I don't know what the rest are being "watched" for.

Reaction Score
Dorka, Boston, Kitley, Holmes and Czinano seem for real. I don't know what the rest are being "watched" for.
Dorka is also on my FINAL FIVE list. She will have a fine year and take us into
the FINAL FOUR..... and Beyond!!

Reaction Score
IMO, the one name missing from that list of 20 is Depaul's Aneesah Morrow. No way 20 players are better than Morrow. For example Boston and Morrow finished the 2021-22 season in Rebounds #1 and #2 respectively with 462 to 457 with Morrow playing in 4 less games than Boston. The #2 finish in rebounds should be enough to justify a spot on this list...but wait there's more, Morrow can also score finishing the year with 21.9 pts/game

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
IMO, the one name missing from that list of 20 is Depaul's Aneesah Morrow. No way 20 players are better than Morrow. For example Boston and Morrow finished the 2021-22 season in Rebounds #1 and #2 respectively with 462 to 457 with Morrow playing in 4 less games than Boston. The #2 finish in rebounds should be enough to justify a spot on this list...but wait there's more, Morrow can also score finishing the year with 21.9 pts/game
Have they come out with the list for PF yet? I have to assume they have her as a finalist at something other than C.

Reaction Score
Have they come out with the list for PF yet? I have to assume they have her as a finalist at something other than C.
That I don't know, looking at all rosters just about all on this list are shown as Forwards....Boston is listed as Forward, as if they're interchangeable.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She is not a center and does not fall into the " I am a center but want to be called forward list"
She is on the PF Katrina McClain Award Watch List

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
All 5 positional awards have the preseason watch list out. There seem to be some really obvious names missing that should be included somewhere. I won't try to list them all, but I'm gonna start with Jacy Sheldon. Are you freaking kidding? Who comes up with these lists? There are a few names on there that really don't belong, and again some players that absolutely should be there that aren't.

Reaction Score
All 5 positional awards have the preseason watch list out. There seem to be some really obvious names missing that should be included somewhere. I won't try to list them all, but I'm gonna start with Jacy Sheldon. Are you freaking kidding? Who comes up with these lists? There are a few names on there that really don't belong, and again some players that absolutely should be there that aren't.
Curios as to why Stanford has two players on this list, Belibi (listed as Forward on roster) and Betts (Center) and Betts on this list as an incoming Freshman, must be expecting some big things from Betts this year.

She is not a center and does not fall into the " I am a center but want to be called forward list"
She is on the PF Katrina McClain Award Watch List
My first question is who decides which player goes on what watch list, when some players are listed on rosters with "Center/Forward".

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Is Betts the only Fr. making a list? I'm of the mind that no Fr. belong on the preseason watch list. Wait til they actually go out and prove something, then you can add them at midseason.

You wanna talk about a "how did she get on there?" player--look at Shay Holle from Texas. Averaged 3.7 ppg last year, started 14 of 35 games (and 1.1 ppg as a Fr). Huh?! What kind of insane improvement are they expecting from her?

What position the players are included at has always been a problem and there are always players listed at a position that is not what they actually play. Every year I'm curious about who does the selecting and what it was they were watching that causes them to come up with the lists they do.

Reaction Score
Lots of teams don't really play a center in the usual sense. They may start 4 guards and forward, for example. Or they play 2 forwards and 3 guards. SC is a bit like the latter, though Boston clearly has center skills and often plays like a center. DePaul is a case of the former, with 4 guards and a forward in Morrow. She sometimes functions as a the traditional "rim protector" in the lane, and there's not often anyone taller than 6'1" on the floor for them. This makes it tempting to think she's the center, though she's clearly a power forward. And Brink, what about her? She's their "rim protector" but she often plays more like a wing or a forward. At 6'4" with long arms and excellent foot speed, she is reminiscent of Stewie, though with nowhere near the offensive skills. Is she a center? Was Stewie a center? Maybe, after Steph graduated, she moved over into that position.

What is a center? I think of players with these qualities: -- rebound, block shots at the rim, score effectively in the low post, pass well from the high post. Sometimes they can knock down a perimeter shot, but this is not their primary role.

The most obvious traditional center-type players I see are Dorka and Kitley, and probably Boston. Kardoso plays like a center and could be on this list, though she doesn't start. Betts played like a center in high school. Even Amari plays like a center.

Reaction Score
Congrats, Dorka. To have your name on a list of one of the All-Time greats, is always a huge honor. Wishing Dorka all the best this season.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Is Betts the only Fr. making a list? I'm of the mind that no Fr. belong on the preseason watch list. Wait til they actually go out and prove something, then you can add them at midseason.

You wanna talk about a "how did she get on there?" player--look at Shay Holle from Texas. Averaged 3.7 ppg last year, started 14 of 35 games (and 1.1 ppg as a Fr). Huh?! What kind of insane improvement are they expecting from her?

What position the players are included at has always been a problem and there are always players listed at a position that is not what they actually play. Every year I'm curious about who does the selecting and what it was they were watching that causes them to come up with the lists they do.
Coaches can nominate or lobby for their players but it’s up to the respective selection committees to add the names.

Reaction Score

Well, Shay did more than triple her scoring from the previous year! Perhaps they are projecting a similar increase this year? That would be a respectable 12 ppg.:rolleyes: Plus, they do seem to have a huge crush on Vic’s team this season. Perhaps they’re convinced Texas is going to win the “holle” thing this season and are getting out ahead of the story?:D

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well, Shay did more than triple her scoring from the previous year! Perhaps they are projecting a similar increase this year? That would be a respectable 12 ppg.:rolleyes: Plus, they do seem to have a huge crush on Vic’s team this season. Perhaps they’re convinced Texas is going to win the “holle” thing this season and are getting out ahead of the story?:D
Maybe they are getting Shay mixed up with Shaylee Gonzales, the BYU transfer who actually has been a prolific scorer throughout her career.

Reaction Score
That would be a "holle" lot to ask! We'll know more after the
Texas vs UCONN game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom