Doris Burke bids farewell to WCBB | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Doris Burke bids farewell to WCBB

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
You do know that the rest of the country thinks she's in the tank for UConn, don't you?
thanks for mentioning that... I didnt want to seem like I was pickin' on Chong

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I'll miss Doris Burke during the WCBB telecasts for her knowledge, passion for the game, and belief of calling it as she saw it!
Trying to be all things to all people takes it's toll on the family and I guess her missing her daughter's game was the straw that broke the camel's back!
Best wishes to a great lady!
maybe ESPN wouldn't let her get the time off for her Daughter's game hmmmm that's why she did the shout out thingy to her

Reaction Score
Well - we'll have to start a new drinking game because no one will be saying "comport" any longer.

I wish her well.

Reaction Score
Doris didn't mention Kara in her good-byes. If that's the direction ESPN is heading, that's not Kara's decision. They should keep all three in the booth.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Doris didn't mention Kara in her good-byes. If that's the direction ESPN is heading, that's not Kara's decision. They should keep all three in the booth.
I have sensed there is a little bit of tension between Kara & DB when they're paired together on ESPN broadcasts. On several occasions when DB would go off on one of her lengthy commentaries, Kara would either ignore her or disagree with her outright.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I happen to be a huge fan of DB. She's a consummate professional, uniquely articulate, the true thinking fan's analyst.

I praisingly refer to her as the Head Librarian of Basketball. (In my world that's a high compliment!) It's no accident that she's become the trailblazing female analyst covering all levels of men's hoops. Not long ago, the role of female on-air talent in men's big-time sports broadcasts nearly became ossified as stunningly attractive babe serving as sideline reporter. It's in Doris's footsteps that Kara and other female analysts are now following.

I can't help but wonder if Doris's detractors remember the quality of analysts that WBB used to get stuck with. Ann Meyers, anyone?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I happen to be a huge fan of DB. She's a consummate professional, uniquely articulate, the true thinking fan's analyst....I can't help but wonder if Doris's detractors remember the quality of analysts that WBB used to get stuck with. Ann Meyers, anyone?

I have never heard of a current or former NBA player mentioning her negatively. Nor do I hear fellow broadcast professionals throwing shade on her. Possibly they see something in her work that others do not. Fair enough.

The difference between producing media coverage and being in the audience is about the same as eating at McDonalds versus working there. Viewers certainly have a right to criticize, and people who sign on to work in the medium understand that criticism as "going along with the territory." Again, fair enough.

I would just point out that, in my opinion, the best discussions of sports broadcasting here on the BY involve facts, concrete examples, and specific performance issues. The worst posts have been characterized by mostly nastiness and snarky invective.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I have never heard of a current or former NBA player mentioning her negatively. Nor do I hear fellow broadcast professionals throwing shade on her. Possibly they see something in her work that others do not. Fair enough.

Doris was a guest on Ryen Rusillo's ESPN NBA podcast a few years ago, after she made history by being the first female to be a regular color commentator for NBA games. Ryen is not a fan of the women's game, but he was definitely a fan of Burke, because of the knowledge she brought to the table and her observations about the game.

And as Ryen noted, Burke had a big fan in one current NBA head coach - Gregg Popovich. Pop does not tolerate fools or stupidity and is not afraid to speak his mind. He has the utmost respect for Burke, which says a lot about her abilities, her qualifications, and her performance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom