Donyell Marshall 1994 Highlights | The Boneyard

Donyell Marshall 1994 Highlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was only 5 when Donyell Marshall was a junior at UConn, so I never really got to see him play. Fortunately, with the people who have shared their collection of games with us to put up on UCHG, I've been able to watch some of his games. I've been watching the 1994 games over the last couple of months and decided to put together a vid of Donyell Marshall from that season. Enjoy.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The most dominant season, wire-to-wire (except for the very end of that wire :confused:), of any Husky, ever. Certainly the most statistically impressive season a Husky has had in the post-1960s era.

He hung around in the NBA for a long time but he never fulfilled the promise he showed at UConn.

Reaction Score
The most dominant season, wire-to-wire (except for the very end of that wire :confused:), of any Husky, ever. Certainly the most statistically impressive season a Husky has had in the post-1960s era.
Yeah, that's why I decided to end the highlights with his 42 point game against St. John's in the BET.

How much did St. John's fans hate Donyell that year?

January 15, 1994: 42 points
March 5, 1994: 29 points
March 11, 1994: 42 points

Ooph.

Reaction Score
Donyell was special, real special that year.

Push, run, run what lovely basketball. The other team score 2 seconds later UConn answers thing of beauty. How many times you see those perfect full and half court passes from Doron? Wow thanks loved it.

Reaction Score
Pretty good list as far as future NBA players is concerned.

NBA Players
Donyell - long career
Ray - really long career
Donny
KO - long career
Travis

Drafted
Doron

Another note...I kinda thought the Big East was pretty lousy that year.

Reaction Score
I was only 5 when Donyell Marshall was a junior at UConn, so I never really got to see him play. Fortunately, with the people who have shared their collection of games with us to put up on UCHG, I've been able to watch some of his games. I've been watching the 1994 games over the last couple of months and decided to put together a vid of Donyell Marshall from that season. Enjoy.

You beautiful son of a bitch.

Reaction Score
I get scoffed at a lot when I say Doron was my favorite player ever. But the Israeli Iceman is all over this video.

KO was really good too, but those look away bounce passes from DS as well as the ability to hit the runners on stride from long was so special to watch. He made a lot of guys who were really good look even better. One of the most underrated players in program history no doubt.

But look at Yell too, wow he was so dominant - jump hooks, reverses dunks, 3's, pull up jumpers he had it all,, great to watch again.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
@mauconnfan his ability to make the right pass on the right timing is what I loved. Even the snap chest passes in the half court are right on time as 'Yell comes off the curl. Everything was precisely calculated. He was constantly in complete control of the offense.

It's going to be hard to watch Gibbs force a take on a 2 on 1 tomorrow after watching this video.

Reaction Score
He had tremendous length before "length" was something people talked about.

After a mediocre season in 92-93 (my senior year) I didn't know what to expect the next year. This was pre-internet and pre-Boneyard, so you got your info from the occasional ESPN special and Street and Smith's or the like. A friend of mine went to BC and knew people on the coaching staff. UConn blowing up and Donyell being ridiculous starting in 93-94 was completely expected by their staff. That was a fun few years. JC and that team deserved to get the first Final Four with that group. I wish it had happened. One free throw Donyell!

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score

NBA Players
Donyell - long career
Ray - really long career
Donny
KO - long career
Travis

Drafted
Doron

The Big East was pretty down in the mid 90s. There was a good argument that the A-10 passed it for a short while there.
Not that any of that takes away from Donyell's greatness, of course.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

NBA Players
Donyell - long career
Ray - really long career
Donny
KO - long career
Travis

Drafted
Doron

So much freaking talent on that team. How the heck didn't we win it all? Just one freaking FT away...
We would have crushed BCU and gone to the final four.

Reaction Score
He had tremendous length before "length" was something people talked about.

After a mediocre season in 92-93 (my senior year) I didn't know what to expect the next year. This was pre-internet and pre-Boneyard, so you got your info from the occasional ESPN special and Street and Smith's or the like. A friend of mine went to BC and knew people on the coaching staff. UConn blowing up and Donyell being ridiculous starting in 93-94 was completely expected by their staff. That was a fun few years. JC and that team deserved to get the first Final Four with that group. I wish it had happened. One free throw Donyell!

Hypothetically if 'Yell stayed for the 94-95 team would have been better than UCLA and UConn's best team ever. Then again there's a few "ifs" on people staying aren't there?;)

Reaction Score
Hypothetically if 'Yell stayed for the 94-95 team would have been better than UCLA and UConn's best team ever. Then again there's a few "ifs" on people staying aren't there?;)
Dude...we would have rolled those guys in Pauley Pavilion let alone Anaheim

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We were damn close without him. Just couldn't get over the hump. That was a crazy game to watch.

Reaction Score

He was the main reason I started liking Uconn.

I was 8 years old didn't know much about college basketball growing up in NY.

Donyell Marshall, Calbert Cheaney, and Isiah Rider caught my eye and I decided to go with the blue and white jerseys because blue is my favorite color.

Ray Allen came soon after, turned into my favorite player, got his Uconn jersey and the rest is pretty much history, great year his junior year, with Marbury out at GTECH and Iverson at GTOWN.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The 42 point night in MSG was amazing. I thought we would blow the roof at that place. That might have been the first we night we really took over the Garden.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
We were damn close without him. Just couldn't get over the hump. That was a crazy game to watch.
It was a track meet. 102-96
Ray with 36.
UCLA the only team in the country that could keep up with us in a running game. That was a real good UCLA team with Edney, Bailey (who killed us ) and the O'Bannon brothers.

Our tough break was one we didnt have a part in. The round before Missouri had UCLA dead. Up by one with UCLA needing to go full court in under 4 seconds. Missouri played the worst matador defense Ive ever seen. Edney got the ball and went coast to coast for a fricking layup in under 4 seconds. I mean one Missouri player, just one, couldnt impede his progress just a c-hair? Ive hated Missouri ever since.

Reaction Score
Wasn't he our highest recruit ever in that era? I recall the hype and hope being off the charts.

Also I think he was the standard we (or at least I) unfairly put Stanley up to.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Donyell was a direct result of Syracuse being dirty as hell. By all accounts it was his first choice for most of the recruiting process and then their sanctions hit and we got him. Thanks for being the scoundrel you are, senor nose picker.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Btw Enjoyed the Constantine Popa flashback. There's a name I havent thought of in at least 15 years.

Reaction Score
It was a track meet. 102-96
Ray with 36.
UCLA the only team in the country that could keep up with us in a running game. That was a real good UCLA team with Edney, Bailey (who killed us ) and the O'Bannon brothers.

Our tough break was one we didnt have a part in. The round before Missouri had UCLA dead. Up by one with UCLA needing to go full court in under 4 seconds. Missouri played the worst matador defense Ive ever seen. Edney got the ball and went coast to coast for a fricking layup in under 4 seconds. I mean one Missouri player, just one, couldnt impede his progress just a c-hair? Ive hated Missouri ever since.
That Missouri game was in the 2nd round, but yeah, the defense was as brutal as you are describing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom