Don't look now, but BE is undefeated at 18-0 | The Boneyard

Don't look now, but BE is undefeated at 18-0

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Early days, and the competition hasn't been stunning (generally pretty weak in fact) but I don't think I remember the last time BE teams lasted so long before at least one defeat. I think this could be a pretty good year for BE with two teams beating 'ranked' teams so far. Sorry to see Carla's Princeton go down against Villanova but it kept the BE perfect for the year.

It would be surprising if Uconn stumbled against TX and was the first BE team to have a blemish.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Page 1

5DC135A7-19FD-4052-9E74-3BA4DCCE9946.jpeg

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Early days, and the competition hasn't been stunning (generally pretty weak in fact) but I don't think I remember the last time BE teams lasted so long before at least one defeat. I think this could be a pretty good year for BE with two teams beating 'ranked' teams so far.
Across the board, with very rare exceptions, the teams from stronger conferences have scheduled atrociously. It was already a very low bar, but this year's parade of de facto exhibition games has reached new depths. Look at the teams the Pac-12, including Stanford, has played so far. It's pathetic. I'm beginning to wonder if Kim Mulkey is now the scheduling consultant for most of these schools.

AFAICT, the SEC (with SC and TN) has been the only other major conference to play two road games against AP top 25 teams -- but of course, Tennessee lost at Ohio State. So in that sense, the Big East, despite the overall weak scheduling, has already surpassed every other major conference.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What about DePaul losing to Texas?
DePaul lost to NIU today, 11/12/2022, 86 - 79. Aneesah Morrow with another
double double : 25 points and 13 rebounds. DePaul with 9 for 25 on 3 pointers,
NIU with 13 of 26 three pointers (50%!). DePaul only hit 53 % of their
free throws. Could be a long season for the Blue Demons!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
DePaul lost to NIU today, 11/12/2022, 86 - 79. Aneesah Morrow with another
double double : 25 points and 13 rebounds. DePaul with 9 for 25 on 3 pointers,
NIU with 13 of 26 three pointers (50%!). DePaul only hit 53 % of their
free throws. Could be a long season for the Blue Demons!
Yeah ... that was a surprise I didn't see coming, and at the moment Temple is up on Georgetown at the half in a tight game.

Agree about the scheduling, but it is early days yet - there are some good OOC contests lined up in the weeks to come. for the P5 schools.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Really a bad loss for DePaul. For reference, Northern Illinois was fresh off a 40-point beatdown by Notre Dame.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Yeah ... that was a surprise I didn't see coming, and at the moment Temple is up on Georgetown at the half in a tight game.

Agree about the scheduling, but it is early days yet - there are some good OOC contests lined up in the weeks to come. for the P5 schools.
Temple beats GT badly 78-61. Bad 3Q 24-11. :(

Plebe

Reaction Score
Temple beats GT badly 78-61. Bad 3Q 24-11. :(
Not a surprising loss.

Georgetown, Providence, Xavier and Butler were dreadfully bad last year and really dragged down the Big East as a whole. Butler, who went 1-27, made a much-needed coaching change; I'm not sure why the other three ADs didn't.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not a surprising loss.

Georgetown, Providence, Xavier and Butler were dreadfully bad last year and really dragged down the Big East as a whole. Butler, who went 1-27, made a much-needed coaching change; I'm not sure why the other three ADs didn't.
Looking at the Box Score, best player Ransom had a really bad game and also fouled out.

Reaction Score
Looking at the Box Score, best player Ransom had a really bad game and also fouled out.
Too bad. When Ransom is on, she could start for any team in the land.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not a surprising loss.

Xavier had that period about 15 years ago where they had twin towers Phillips and Harris who were excellent and they made some noise, but have been quiet ever since. McGuff made his bones with those teams (and Balcomb before him at the end of the last century.)

Georgetown also made a little noise around the same time with Terry Williams-Flournoy as coach, but has been bad since.

Providence hasn't been relevant since the early 1990s.

and Butler has never been relevant - one NCAA bid in their history (1995 where they went 1-1)

Not a lot to build on as far as program histories for new coaches.

Plebe

Reaction Score
and Butler has never been relevant - one NCAA bid in their history (1995 where they went 1-1)
Butler actually wasn't bad as recently as two seasons ago.

In 2018-19 they went 23-10 (including an OOC win over Ohio State), finished 3rd in the Big East, and weren't far from the NCAAT bubble. They won 2 rounds of the WNIT before being eliminated by Cincinnati.

In 2019-20 they finished 19-11, in a 5-way tie for 3rd in the BE, and would've certainly received a WNIT bid if not for covid.

I guess Butler must've then been depleted by graduations or transfers or covid opt-outs, because in the following season they plummeted to 3-17.

Reaction Score
Actually, I hope the other Big East teams continue to improve.
UCONN’s schedule against the BE is, once again backloaded with games in January & February.
We need to be pushed a bit more going into the Big Dance.
Huskies are still the Big Dog in the conference, but a more competitive BE tourney would sharpen up everybody and give Geno the opportunity to set up his best rotation for the NCAA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom