Donny Marshall | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Donny Marshall

Reaction Score
The announcing was so bad last night that my wife was actually getting mad at me for how bad it was. That me, just through association as an alumnus, somehow allowed this commentary team to exist and call this game. So I am obligated to agree, since she is never wrong.

Correct, because marriage is a relationship between two people where one is always right and the other is the husband.

Reaction Score
Before the second half began when the studio brought it back to Gampel, Donny and Brando kept talking about how Oduro was in foul trouble which is why UConn got back in the game. Never even mentioned that Clingan played 4 minutes all half as well.

I always think Donny is bad but its not unlistenable but last night both Brando and Donny were flat out awful. 3 techs, 40+ fouls but beautifully officiated game... what a joke
That really bothered me as well. Brando kept harping on it and I'm wondering whether Brando has done any homework to know that Clingan has the third highest individual rating in the country. SMDH.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The joke at the time was that referees were going to start trying to read players' minds to know what they're thinking to call technicals.

Two games in 1994 showed UConn's resiliency. UConn led at Providence College by five with 18.1 seconds to go in regulation. Donny Marshall committed a foul with 11 seconds left. No big deal. Marshall smiled and clapped, much like his coach does when he disagrees with a call. Bang. Referee John Cahill assessed a technical foul to Marshall. The officials had warned Donny to stop refereeing the game at least two times earlier in the contest. Donyell loved Donny but after the technical the entire team including its All-American player wanted to strangle the other Marshall. Providence made three of the four free-throws and trailed by two. Because of the technical, it retained possession and hit a three-pointer to take a one-point lead with 8.8 seconds left. Timeout, Connecticut.

Spoiler alert. Ollie went the length of the court and scored to win it.

Thanks so much for rekindling the memory of that game, including how it ended with KO's epic coast-to-coast. Its telling in the full linked book excerpt is very stirring, and deserves to be known by any UConn fan not well-acquainted with the full pre-Final Four 1990s. And to recall that Tyus Edney did pretty much the same thing to keep UCLA alive in the NCAA Tournament following year. Wow.

Reaction Score
Eh, he's someone you can point to that is clearly visible, and show kids as a guy that attained a high level of success after BB, that came to through the program.

Listen to radio pbp guys if you dislike him that much.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
She's in studio for SNY for the women's team and great job. What commentary are you talking about? Was she doing something for the men's game last night too?
I thought I saw her doing a Cinn. men bb game a few years back. ESPN or.......................?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I thought I saw her doing a Cinn. men bb game a few years back. ESPN or.......................?
Wolters? I know Rebecca Lobo works for ESPN but I didn't think Wolters did as well.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
He was really bad. He was trying to allude to Tim Brando as an alcoholic.
That was unreal. I hope Brando told him to shut his pie hole off camera.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure Brando is doing the game tomorrow too. Wonder if Donny will get matched up with him again.

Reaction Score
Saw a ton of people getting into it with Brando on X where he was standing up for himself after he and Donny got lots of criticism for the UConn PC broadcast. Pretty surprising that Brando would get involved like that. Pretty thin-skinned I guess/very defensive. I think his better broadcast days are pretty far behind him.

Reaction Score
Saw a ton of people getting into it with Brando on X where he was standing up for himself after he and Donny got lots of criticism for the UConn PC broadcast. Pretty surprising that Brando would get involved like that. Pretty thin-skinned I guess/very defensive. I think his better broadcast days are pretty far behind him.
Yup. Look up a few posts. Link:

Reaction Score
People need to lay off Donny. There is no announcer, living or dead, that could save that train wreck of a game last night. Donny is fine most of the time.

My Donny story is that about 20-22 years ago, my father-in-law and I were at the sports bar in Middletown/Cromwell line (can't remember its name). My father-in-law saw Donny having lunch with some friends, and despite my best efforts to stop it, interrupted Donny's meal. Donny was incredibly gracious, and spent about 5 minutes talking with my father-in-law, who was thrilled. My father-in-law talked about that day all the time right up until he passed.
Your anecdote has nothing to do with how much less pleasurable he makes watching UConn games. You know his pattern of poor telecasting stretches well past last game.

Reaction Score
That was funny in the post game. Just asked Donny sarcastically if he had any problems with UConn today.

Reaction Score
The amount of comments on here about Donny shows jealousy on all your parts. It’s like you take notes during the game so you can post about it the next day! I have met him a few times and he is a good guy very personable
I used to live on the 14th hole of the Willimantic Golf Club. My wife used to take dogs for walk. She said she met some guy who talked to her for a half and hour. She said he was extremely nice. Nobody else around she told me he used to play basketball for UConn. I said Donny Marshall she said yah that's it. I was impressed to talk to a complete stranger for 30 minutes with nobody else around.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I used to live on the 14th hole of the Willimantic Golf Club. My wife used to take dogs for walk. She said she met some guy who talked to her for a half and hour. She said he was extremely nice. Nobody else around she told me he used to play basketball for UConn. I said Donny Marshall she said yah that's it. I was impressed to talk to a complete stranger for 30 minutes with nobody else around.
I heard he used to own that golf course. Not sure if he still does.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom