Donny Marshall | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Donny Marshall

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He clearly doesn't do his homework. He tells random stories, jokes about drinking after the game, and has very little to say that actually applies to playing basketball at the college level (as opposed to stories about having been a basketball player at the college level)...

For example, "Everything is the same here in the building as when I played here, except the floor..." whether that's true or not, it could have led to a conversation about that old floor and how it had some dead spots that the home team could take advantage of. That would have been insightful, not insipid.
Well, he did say that the rims were very forgiving so he didn't understand why the ball wasn't dropping. Which is kind of, sort of, the level of insight you were looking for. I still found it insipid.

Reaction Score
Donny is much worse when UConn is involved. He wants to root for us, is afraid he’s sounding that way so heaps irrational praise on the other team and refs and takes stupid digs at UConn.
Yeah it’s like even when UConn is playing great he will usually just tell us what the other team needs to do to stop us. Then if they do something good he goes nuts celebrating it and starts to cheer about it. I’ve noticed he’s actually started pointing out great UConn play, but it’s lost under tons of his unhomer nonsense

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
In fairness, they weren’t prepared to fill 3 hours of darn near unwatchable basketball with commentary. I think his biggest issue is he’s pretty clearly unprepared so all you get from Donny are a bunch of random platitudes and just uninformed statements. There are some more talented color guys that can pull off that level of preparation, but he doesn’t possess that kind of talent.
He should go to Kara Wolters school. Her on line commentary was like a clinic on how to do reporting
imo. It made watching the game so enjoyable. Was she covering Uconn for SNY?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I can't stand him... It's funny, even as a player, I never really liked him. He obviously was a very good player for us but there was always something inherently annoying. When he literally name dropped himself after a nice play I puked a little. "Looking like Donny Marshall on that play..." Never heard an announcer third-person themselves on a broadcast before.
I've been saving this but since you brought it up..............Colin McEnroe as a columnist for the Courant referred to Donny the player as "Madonny" because he had to be the center of attention all the time.
Maybe he had a rough childhood??

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I hope Donny never does a UConn game again. His anti Husky bias is shameful. PC knew they weren't talented enough so they played rugby. And Donny endorsed it. And when he told Brando his cocktails may have to wait that is a bridge too far!
I agree with the cocktail waiting sentiment being WAY over the line. In a past game he made an incorrect statement that was corrected by Brando and Donny said something like, "What do you want? I went to state school." That also chapped by arse.

Reaction Score
He kept saying Devin Carter was fouling on his drives when Oduro got called.

I couldn't figure what he was talking about, how was Carter fouling anyone on his drives to the hoop?

Reaction Score
Donny and I think alike. When Cam grabbed the rebound and then went behind the back and reversed course back to the rim. I looked at my bro n said dang that was like Jordan. Then Donny said the same.
That was a good point but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
My Donny story…

I spent a cup of coffee at UHa and his girlfriend at the time (who was incredibly attractive) played for the women’s’ basketball team. I played a sport there also (before it went DIII, humble brag) so I spent a lot of time going in and out of the campus sports center. One day I was walking out after practice and he was standing there waiting for her to be done with her practice by himself and I said “Hey, good luck in the tourney”. I think it was right after selection Sunday. We were the only two in the area, he looked straight at me, didn’t say anything and went back to staring at the wall (pre-cell phones). Maybe he was in a bad mood, didn’t want to talk to a lowly mid-major athlete or was anxious to get his gf back to her room, but it always struck me as strange considering how charismatic everyone said he was.

Reaction Score

I couldn't figure what he was talking about, how was Carter fouling anyone on his drives to the hoop?
He was saying UConn was fouling Carter, so the Oduro foul should have never been called because a UConn player should have been called for the foul on Carter before the rebound foul ever happened.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
He was saying UConn was fouling Carter, so the Oduro foul should have never been called because a UConn player should have been called for the foul on Carter before the rebound foul ever happened.
On that play Carter drove across the lane and stuck his leg out to try and draw a foul while he was shooting. The refs did the correct thing and made a no call on the Carter contact and then Oduro went over the back for a foul.

Reaction Score
Before the second half began when the studio brought it back to Gampel, Donny and Brando kept talking about how Oduro was in foul trouble which is why UConn got back in the game. Never even mentioned that Clingan played 4 minutes all half as well.

I always think Donny is bad but its not unlistenable but last night both Brando and Donny were flat out awful. 3 techs, 40+ fouls but beautifully officiated game... what a joke

Reaction Score
He's always said good things a out Hurley in print, so I don't think it was a swipe.

Donny talking about Dan in a 2021 NY Post interview:

" I love how he’s no nonsense. He doesn’t candy-coat anything. I think you have to respect how genuine he is when it comes to how he talks to his players, how he talks to the media. That’s the kinda guy that I could play for, because you know where he stands. If you’re dogging it, you’re not gonna play, and he’s gonna tell you. I think he holds every player accountable. When you have a coach like that, your AD, those guys, they gotta get out of the way."
It wasn't a swipe at his coaching but his playing ability. Either way It is is obvious that Donny is the opposite as a homer when it comes to UConn basketball on tv at least. He is dreadful to hear on air.

Reaction Score

He was saying carter was fouled on his drive by UConn and therefore oduro foul on rebound would not be a foul because play was over.

Reaction Score
It wasn't a swipe at his coaching but his playing ability. Either way It is is obvious that Donny is the opposite as a homer when it comes to UConn basketball on tv at least. He is dreadful to hear on air.
How many times did he say providence was playing without oduro due to foul trouble and clingan catching splinters not mentioned

Reaction Score
He was saying carter was fouled on his drive by UConn and therefore oduro foul on rebound would not be a foul because play was over.
Yeah he said that happened twice. Once on the first half and then end of 2nd half. They guy is unbelievable at times. I could see maybe trying to say it once but he did it again. Ugh!

Reaction Score
Donny is so polarizing for UConn fans. He clearly has to watch out for homerizing, that's just professional.
I do agree he's more suited to a studio role but understand why UConn fans expect more from him during games.

I have never met the man but I do sit directly behind the announcers at GP. Pregame and halftime he is constantly approached by VIPs of all levels and ages and he couldn't appear more appreciative of his position or place in UConn history. I have never seen the 'smile while talking' turn into a 'what a d**k' face afterwards from him. There is no way he bears any grudge or is jealous of those who have rings.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He should go to Kara Wolters school. Her on line commentary was like a clinic on how to do reporting
imo. It made watching the game so enjoyable. Was she covering Uconn for SNY?
She's in studio for SNY for the women's team and great job. What commentary are you talking about? Was she doing something for the men's game last night too?

Reaction Score
Donny is so polarizing for UConn fans. He clearly has to watch out for homerizing, that's just professional.
I do agree he's more suited to a studio role but understand why UConn fans expect more from him during games.

I have never met the man but I do sit directly behind the announcers at GP. Pregame and halftime he is constantly approached by VIPs of all levels and ages and he couldn't appear more appreciative of his position or place in UConn history. I have never seen the 'smile while talking' turn into a 'what a d**k' face afterwards from him. There is no way he bears any grudge or is jealous of those who have rings.

Where you the guy sitting directly between the 2 announcers? Whomever it was, was wearing a hoodie with a company name on it. He was sitting, while the folks to the left/right were standing, so you could the company name clearly on the hoodie. I thought at the time, thats a brilliant way to make some extra cash. Hoodie chest area for sale!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom