Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money. | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Enough is enough already. University of Miami plays 24 miles from campus. UCLA plays 26 miles and even Temple plays 8 miles away from campus. It's not where the stadium is it's how well they play.
You mean that 64-47 record in those first 9 years, 2 Big East championships/ making 5 bowls games ( + the 9-3 Indy year with no Bowl tie in)..... might have something to do with packing the RENT (at 96% capacity) ;)....but SHHHHH don't tell the hopeless romantics that, LOL!

Reaction Score
Yeah that it would be nice but I'm a native Nutmegger and understand the NIMBY's and legislature and I'm certain that we both know that an on-campus stadium is not happening in our lifetime.
They can make it happen if they need to. They can use eminent domain but why rock the boat as currently being a football independent with a decent (imo) stadium.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah that it would be nice but I'm a native Nutmegger and understand the NIMBY's and legislature and I'm certain that we both know that an on-campus stadium is not happening in our lifetime.
There is no need for an application to any Mansfield board in order to to build an on-campus stadium in the athletic campus.

The legislature issue is trickier here. The argument would be, well we already have a stadium in East Hartford. But the life force stadium is roughly 20 years and we've already met that. We can definitely fix the problems caused by the CDRA ignoring normal maintenance and letting things build up until they become a capital expenditure and extend the stadiums life for say another 10 years, but after that it is going to need very significant investment. At that point the legislature will have a decision whether to reinvest at Rentschler field, personally I enjoy the game day experience there, or put the stadium on campus, where it should've been built originally. Certainly, the core rationale in putting the stadium in East Hartford was to spur East Hartford investment. Has that really happened? Is there any development on the adjacent properties which appears to be derivative of Rentschler field? Can a rational argument be made that it makes more sense to build new in Storrs than continue with a white elephant in East Hartford? I am inclined to think so. I think it becomes a slam dunk if it is a condition for joining the P5.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Enough is enough already. University of Miami plays 24 miles from campus. UCLA plays 26 miles and even Temple plays 8 miles away from campus. It's not where the stadium is it's how well they play.
Maybe you took a helicopter? Normal traffic is 30 minutes or a few more. I’ve driven to Gampel many times for weekend games and night games during the week. Shortest I ever did on that stretch was about 30 min even, longest was 65 minutes.

View attachment 89005

How long (including traffic) does it take from UCLA's campus to the Rose Bowl? How long from Miami's campus to Hard Rock stadium?

I know very well about the nightmare traffic they have to face in greater Los Angeles and in southern Florida. Your argument doesn't hold regardless of how much you want it to.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They can make it happen if they need to. They can use eminent domain but why rock the boat as currently being a football independent with a decent (imo) stadium.
There is no need for eminent domain to build a football stadium on campus. There are currently three locations on campus where one could be built and a fourth slightly off-campus at the Mansfield Depot campus. The best of the three, in my opinion, is building in the athletic campus immediately behind Toscano. There is more than enough land. It requires no approvals from Mansfield. An environmental impact analysis was already done for Toscano and there are no significant issues. The parking around the stadium could be used to support hockey games, baseball games, and basketball games. It makes a tremendous amount of sense.

Reaction Score
No one on here is going to sway opinions of those that don't want to be swayed. And, no one on here is a stadium location decision maker. Move on to more productive thoughts, please.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
People don't talk about how much fun the Rent is. Yeah, maybe it's off campus and needs some structural repairs, but that doesn't really affect you, the fan. Plenty of easily accessible bathrooms, decent food selection, good sightlines, parking isn't really too bad. I've been to NFL stadiums with a far, far worse fan experience

Reaction Score
How fast were you going? Like 80mph? Normal drive time is at least 30 minutes, and 45 minutes to an hour on weekends when trucks and everyone else is out and traffic is heavy.
Saturday night at 8:30 there was NO traffic. Observed the speed limits, ESPECIALLY through Coventry. Got through Hartford after 30 minutes was home in Southington in 47 minutes.
Storrs to East Hartford is only at 20 minute drive via the route I described.

Reaction Score
A team like Miami with multiple championships can play anywhere they want, and UCLA plays in one of the most famous stadiums ever built, and it’s design was modeled after the Yale Bowl, when first built it was largely made of concrete. If a structure like the LMC were dropped on Pratt & Whitney field, UConn would be playing there as a P5 member as would an NFL franchise. The reality for UConn football today is vastly different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom