Dolson, Hartley, Stewart make USBWA all-american team | The Boneyard

Dolson, Hartley, Stewart make USBWA all-american team

Status
Not open for further replies.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
SO FREAKING GREAT...my new way of adding an exclamatory: SFG!!!

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I wuz thinkin' the same thing, Big Fan: "What? No Simmons? No SEC POY? Nothing from the conference-of-conferences, the mother of all basketball battles?

Reaction Score
Only the second time three players from the same school were on the list? What about Sue, Swin, Asjha, Tamika, and Diana? I find it hard that three of those were not on the list in 2002....

Reaction Score
Tough choices all around. I don't know how they settle on ten--well, I do know--they vote--but still. So many good players.

Reaction Score
Nice....and deserved by all three. Rather well known on here that I've not been a Harley fan, though I've acknowledged her important contributions in specific games along the way. This year she has played her best ball and, IMNSHO, her most team-oriented ball. Seems to have matured a lot at UCONN, and her departure is a substantial loss. A tip o' the cap to Bria.

Reaction Score
Nice....and deserved by all three. Rather well known on here that I've not been a Harley fan, though I've acknowledged her important contributions in specific games along the way. This year she has played her best ball and, IMNSHO, her most team-oriented ball. Seems to have matured a lot at UCONN, and her departure is a substantial loss. A tip o' the cap to Bria.

I've been a Harley fan since the 70's...Sportster, Road King, and now a Trike!
Bria Hartley is pretty good, too!

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Only the second time three players from the same school were on the list? What about Sue, Swin, Asjha, Tamika, and Diana? I find it hard that three of those were not on the list in 2002....
Believe... LINK

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Tough choices all around. I don't know how they settle on ten--well, I do know--they vote--but still. So many good players.
During the North Carolina game, the announcers were discussing their disappointment that DeSheilds couldn't make the team. It seems you have to make a regional team first, and the East is over represented with All Stars. Also, Notre Dame, due to its being in the ACC, moved to the East, which adds to the over weight even more.

I don't know who I would take off the top ten in order to add DeSheilds though. The announcers didn't make that commitment either. I think I can safely predict that DeSheilds will be on it the next three years though.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
You can't name an ELITE PLayer from the SEC. That's why the SEC was and is a long shot to win the National Championship even if A&M is able to pull off the Improbable tonight. To win the National Championship is the Women's Game you need an Elite Player or at least a player(s) the can take over a game. A&M is the last team that won a championship without an elite player but they had Danielle Adams who could take over a game. Plus that year, A&M was able to beat Baylor to get to the Final Four and UConn lost to Notre Dame. The 2011/12 UConn team was a talented roster but did not have an elite player. Bria, Stef & KML have improved their game since then.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Believe... LINK
Try Kodak All-Americans. Bird, Cash and DT made it in 2002.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I'm ok with that list. Would have traded Lucas for Jordan Hooper but it's a good list!

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Congrats to our 3 UCONN ladies!

Well deserved ;)

Reaction Score
Truly bizarre, as is the fact that UConn didn't get three in 2009, apparently because Tina Charles wasn't one of the best ten players in the country in her junior year :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
During the North Carolina game, the announcers were discussing their disappointment that DeSheilds couldn't make the team. It seems you have to make a regional team first, and the East is over represented with All Stars. Also, Notre Dame, due to its being in the ACC, moved to the East, which adds to the over weight even more.

I don't know who I would take off the top ten in order to add DeSheilds though. The announcers didn't make that commitment either. I think I can safely predict that DeSheilds will be on it the next three years though.
I was listening to that too and rolling my eyes. I think that the regional system is bad, but DeSheilds simply did not earn first team AA this year. Her PPG is inflated by North Carolina's fast pace, she's shooting 43% from the field and 28% from three, she had more turnovers than assists and most importantly, she was tremendously inconsistent.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
You can't name an ELITE PLayer from the SEC. That's why the SEC was and is a long shot to win the National Championship even if A&M is able to pull off the Improbable tonight. To win the National Championship is the Women's Game you need an Elite Player or at least a player(s) the can take over a game. A&M is the last team that won a championship without an elite player but they had Danielle Adams who could take over a game. Plus that year, A&M was able to beat Baylor to get to the Final Four and UConn lost to Notre Dame. The 2011/12 UConn team was a talented roster but did not have an elite player. Bria, Stef & KML have improved their game since then.
Who is elite on A&M?

The Courtneys are good but not elite.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
ndmb and Alum - agree about the announcers - she is a lot of fun to watch and she will hopefully improve in all facets of her game in future years, but I don't think she deserved selection this year.

On the alignment - the BE was its own region previously and it is now the BE/AAC so in total, more players because more teams but with ND gone, perhaps a couple fewer stars. And the ACC added a few teams and represent their own region and with ND added again a few more 'stars'. But I don't think the regions are very exact and I do not know if they have a specific quota per region or if there is some other criteria within a regions vote (60% of ballots sort of like the HOF votes?) There are 8 regions - one for each of the six BCS conferences (BE/AAC replacing BE) and one each for eastern and western mid-major conferences. The list of regional honors is here:
http://www.wbca.org/blog/index.cfm/...-for-2014-Division-I-Coaches-AllAmerica-Team/

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Who is elite on A&M?

The Courtneys are good but not elite.
I think he's saying that even if A&M wins tonight they won't win the NC because they don't have an elite player.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I understand the reasoning and can't take serious exception to the list. I do take exception, however, to the DeSheilds argument. imho MoJet is much more deserving of inclusion than is DD. Next year we, in the normal course of events, will again have three on the list; TBS, KML and MoJet.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I think he's saying that even if A&M wins tonight they won't win the NC because they don't have an elite player.
Which makes no sense. How can they beat UConn without an elite player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom