Does South Carolina enter the NCAAs undefeated? | The Boneyard

Does South Carolina enter the NCAAs undefeated?

Does South Carolina enter the NCAAs undefeated?

• Yes

Votes: 34 61.8%
  • No

Votes: 21 38.2%

• Total voters

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I see SC having 4 realistic chances of getting beat prior to the tournament. We have:
-at LSU on Thursday
-vs UCONN on Feb 12
-at Tennessee on Feb 16
-vs LSU in SEC Tournament

South Carolina hasn’t lost in South Carolina since 2020, I don’t see anyone aside from UCONN/LSU with a realistic shot to do it this year.

LSU on Thursday is a huge matchup but Gamecocks look like the clear cut better team at the moment.

UCONN is playing well and lacks size but has Paige Bueckers. SC still is the heavy favorite playing at home but I wouldn’t count out UCONN.

Tennessee is a potential trap game for SC, as SC willl be coming off a big UCONN game 4 days earlier. Tennessee has talent and has put together some solid wins as of late after a slow start. I still think this is a long shot for Tennessee but SC often has a couple of random mediocre road showings in SEC season and this one jumps out more than any other SEC road game (besides LSU).

SEC Tournament I could see LSU pulling out an upset if Hailey Van Lith figures out how to run the team (or if they move Willliams to PG). Big advantage to SC though since the tournament is now in Soith Carolina, so it’ll be a home court atmosphere for the Gamecocks.

Right now my vote is no, I predict they will lose before the tournament. I’m not sure who pulls it off, though I think LSU has the best odds on Thursday.

Reaction Score
I’d say they go undefeated all season. I don’t see any team on their schedule that can stay within 20 points of them at the moment and all the top contenders across the country have been seriously knocked down by injury so I don’t see any competition in the tournament either. One of those years where we are all just playing for second place but at least the competition for that spot is quite interesting.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I’d say they go undefeated all season. I don’t see any team on their schedule that can stay within 20 points of them at the moment and all the top contenders across the country have been seriously knocked down by injury so I don’t see any competition in the tournament either. One of those years where we are all just playing for second place but at least the competition for that spot is quite interesting.
Wasn't that the case last year as well? Except it didn't quite work out according to the script.

South Carolina is really good, again. They have to be considered the favorite to win the Title. But it's not a sure thing.

Reaction Score
Wasn't that the case last year as well? Except it didn't quite work out according to the script.

South Carolina is really good, again. They have to be considered the favorite to win the Title. But it's not a sure thing.
Yea but last year they looked vulnerable at times and didn’t have the fire power offensively to stick with a team that got hit from outside. This year they could break down defensively and still be fine because they could outscore anyone imo. I just don’t see a weakness for any team to exploit. I think the narrative around every other team are interesting enough that it won’t deflate interest much though. I’m excited to find out the other three teams that make it through to the final four.

Reaction Score
I voted no. LSU has a lot of talent and has played extremely well in Baton Rouge. They can matchup very well with our bigs. our advantage is at guard but I don’t think that it will outweigh their home court advantage

Reaction Score
In my view, Dawn should have won 3 NCs (maybe 4) in the Boston years. Only malign fortune prevented it. Yes, the perimeter shooting was a weakness on those teams, and Iowa exploited it. But it wouldn’t have taken much to go their way for the results to have been very different.

Well, this season they’re even better than before. Dawn has recruited another awesome group and her operation is still rolling. SC could be the team to beat for a few more years. Once Paopao moves on Tessa might be able to pick up 3pt duties though I’m not sure they’ll have another dominant big in Tac.

If there’s a weakness in Dawn’s game it’s in-game coaching. All coaches make mistakes in games, but Dawn may make a few more questionable decisions than her peers. Of course, what I think are mistakes may also be what she has to do to keep a long, very talented bench happy. I haven’t run the numbers, but I think she doesn’t lose much talent to the portal. In fact, even recruiting to a team as loaded as SC takes a sort of genius.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In my view, Dawn should have won 3 NCs (maybe 4) in the Boston years. Only malign fortune prevented it. Yes, the perimeter shooting was a weakness on those teams, and Iowa exploited it. But it wouldn’t have taken much to go their way for the results to have been very different.

Well, this season they’re even better than before. Dawn has recruited another awesome group and her operation is still rolling. SC could be the team to beat for a few more years. Once Paopao moves on Tessa might be able to pick up 3pt duties though I’m not sure they’ll have another dominant big in Tac.

If there’s a weakness in Dawn’s game it’s in-game coaching. All coaches make mistakes in games, but Dawn may make a few more questionable decisions than her peers. Of course, what I think are mistakes may also be what she has to do to keep a long, very talented bench happy. I haven’t run the numbers, but I think she doesn’t lose much talent to the portal. In fact, even recruiting to a team as loaded as SC takes a sort of genius.
Since the transfer portal South Carolina has lost the following players:
  • Eniya Russell (Kentucky)
  • Destiny Littleton (Southern Cal)
  • Elysa Wesolek (North Florida)
  • Saniya Rivers (NC State)
  • Talaysia Cooper (Tennessee)

..and gained the following players through the portal:
  • Kamilla Cardoso (Syracuse)
  • Te-hina Paopao (Oregon)
  • Destiny Littleton (Texas)
  • Kierra Fletcher (Ga. Tech)

Reaction Score
I got South Carolina entering the NCAAs undefeated. They have too many options right now on offense and their defense is killer! They can beat you in ugly games and in a blowout game and those are always scary elements for a winning program.

Reaction Score

Impossible for Boston to win four. Her first season. Covid. No tournament. No shot despite a season of only I loss while beating UConn, Baylor, Maryland, Mississippi State, a decent Tennessee along the way Can't fault Dawn on that

Boston's second season? The Covid Bubble tournament. We lost to Stanford in the semi's and I thought Stanford deserved the title of champions. We came within a Boston tip in. Dawn's fault? I don't see how. Stanford merely had a better team

Third season. Championship.

Fourth Championship. Clark's superb play beat us. Dawn's bad coaching? I'll say it wasn't as responsive I had expected. Why wasn't Amihere assigned to Clark more? Other adjustments may have helped. Sending the 15th player on our roster in to shoot threes was an act of desperation. Okay. I'll give you that Dawn coached a bad game in four years.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
If they get past LSU on the road, I don't see anyone that can beat them including Tennessee and UCONN. This is a very different team from last years. They play with speed whereas last year they played with composure. These girls will run you ragged and that plays well with the depth that they have coming off the bench. LSU can show us how good they really are, or they can give them a loss that won't matter come tournament time. You can't wear this team down in a tournament. Too deep.....

Reaction Score
Impossible for Boston to win four. Her first season. Covid. No tournament. No shot despite a season of only I loss while beating UConn, Baylor, Maryland, Mississippi State, a decent Tennessee along the way Can't fault Dawn on that

Boston's second season? The Covid Bubble tournament. We lost to Stanford in the semi's and I thought Stanford deserved the title of champions. We came within a Boston tip in. Dawn's fault? I don't see how. Stanford merely had a better team

Third season. Championship.

Fourth Championship. Clark's superb play beat us. Dawn's bad coaching? I'll say it wasn't as responsive I had expected. Why wasn't Amihere assigned to Clark more? Other adjustments may have helped. Sending the 15th player on our roster in to shoot threes was an act of desperation. Okay. I'll give you that Dawn coached a bad game in four years.
Don't be so prickly, @visitingcock. I didn't say -- nor do I think -- Dawn's in-game coaching cost them either NC. I merely asked myself, Is there any flaw in her portfolio? and that's all I could find -- and I qualified it mightily. I am in awe of Dawn's coaching genius, and especially her recruiting genius. More than anyone else, she has mastered the moment.

Also, I disagree with your assessment of Stanford when they won the title. I think SC was the better team and had Boston's tip-in gone, I would have thought it only appropriate. In no way an upset. Absolutely to the contrary.

The Iowa game wasn't great. But I don't think Amihere was the overlooked solution to guarding Caitlin. I don't fault Dawn for that one in any way. It was a fluke upset, a lightning strike. There was nothing to be done against someone having a tremendous season. Iowa only lost to LSU because an unsung rotation player shot practically 100% from 3 in the first half. That allowed a mediocre squad to wait out the game. I also thought Reese got away with a flagrant foul down the stretch -- maybe worthy of an ejection -- when she punched Molly Davis. Would that have made a difference? Who knows? But that's how close the game could have been, that some foolish egregious behavior might have opened the door for more of Caitlin's heroics.

Reaction Score
Don't be so prickly, @visitingcock. I didn't say -- nor do I think -- Dawn's in-game coaching cost them either NC. I merely asked myself, Is there any flaw in her portfolio? and that's all I could find -- and I qualified it mightily. I am in awe of Dawn's coaching genius, and especially her recruiting genius. More than anyone else, she has mastered the moment.

Also, I disagree with your assessment of Stanford when they won the title. I think SC was the better team and had Boston's tip-in gone, I would have thought it only appropriate. In no way an upset. Absolutely to the contrary.

The Iowa game wasn't great. But I don't think Amihere was the overlooked solution to guarding Caitlin. I don't fault Dawn for that one in any way. It was a fluke upset, a lightning strike. There was nothing to be done against someone having a tremendous season. Iowa only lost to LSU because an unsung rotation player shot practically 100% from 3 in the first half. That allowed a mediocre squad to wait out the game. I also thought Reese got away with a flagrant foul down the stretch -- maybe worthy of an ejection -- when she punched Molly Davis. Would that have made a difference? Who knows? But that's how close the game could have been, that some foolish egregious behavior might have opened the door for more of Caitlin's heroics.
I thought Stanford was the better team. Remember SCar wasn't ranked in the top 4 by any of the polls or the NET. They had lost to NC State, Uconn, Texas A&M and Tennessee. They did not win the SEC regular season. They did win the SEC tournament. The selection committee jumped then into a one seed over NET ranked number 3 NC State and 4 Texas A&M

Stanford only lost two games that year (But beat both of those pac opponents on the turnaround. ) They were ranked number One.

Anyway, both were good I just felt hat Stanford was better based upon the better record and ranking
FOY? Legit.

First team AA? Slow down. I'm not saying no, but think it through better record and ranking It was close - as shown by the game

Reaction Score
Odds are for South Carolina to go undefeated. If UConn has a strong defensive and shooting outing, they will pull off an upset. This UConn team is stronger and more resilient than the one from last year.

Reaction Score
Odds are for South Carolina to go undefeated. If UConn has a strong defensive and shooting outing, they will pull off an upset. This UConn team is stronger and more resilient than the one from last year.
imo UConn doesn't have a chance. After all the injuries this season I am enjoying this UConn team immensely for what they are but they are not a team that can beat the top 3 teams in the country, let alone South Carolina.

Reaction Score
imo UConn doesn't have a chance. After all the injuries this season I am enjoying this UConn team immensely for what they are but they are not a team that can beat the top 3 teams in the country, let alone South Carolina.
Go away Mr. Jinx, go away! I know you are trying to set up any Gamecock who agrees with the expression so you can say how we all said that UConn does have chance . No, it's you, it's you Sir Jinxalot!

images

Reaction Score
Go away Mr. Jinx, go away! I know you are trying to set up any Gamecock who agrees with the expression so you can say how we all said that UConn does have chance . No, it's you, it's you Sir Jinxalot!

images
I'm truly just being realistic. I just want the girls to be healthy and happy this year and wins are just a nice bonus. South Carolina is simply a terrible match up for this team because we guard the three point line terrible and have no size. And its the road where we play extra poorly.

Reaction Score
In my world, upsets do happen. Last night, I watched a great game where #16 Utah beat #2 UCLA. Massey odds are 2:1 that South Carolina wins, with a margin of 5-6 points. A 35% chance of a UConn win makes the game exciting.

Reaction Score
I'm truly just being realistic. I just want the girls to be healthy and happy this year and wins are just a nice bonus. South Carolina is simply a terrible match up for this team because we guard the three point line terrible and have no size. And its the road where we play extra poorly.
I like TonyC man,

You're a drag. (JK):p

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Since the transfer portal South Carolina has lost the following players:
  • Eniya Russell (Kentucky)
  • Destiny Littleton (Southern Cal)
  • Elysa Wesolek (North Florida)
  • Saniya Rivers (NC State)
  • Talaysia Cooper (Tennessee)

..and gained the following players through the portal:
  • Kamilla Cardoso (Syracuse)
  • Te-hina Paopao (Oregon)
  • Destiny Littleton (Texas)
  • Kierra Fletcher (Ga. Tech)
We've definitely gotten the better end of the transfer portal. Other than Saniya Rivers, we haven't lost a major contributor/potential contributor to the portal.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I think Cooper would have played a fair amount.
She made such a big impression on me, I don't remember her.

Back to the question; after the games at UNC and Duke, I probably would have said no, but they've proven to be pretty good teams. Since SEC play started, the Gamecocks have had little drop off in road games compared to home, especially at A&M. Because of that, I think we'll eke out a win at LSU. LSU has not played much of a schedule, TBH. UCONN has been playing great, lately, but I still don't see them beating the Gamecocks in Columbia.

Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
With Saniya on the roster, we probably don't get a Tehina Pao Pao out of the portal.. or even Fulwiley. I think Pao is more of what this particular team needed this season, a guard that can take over a game with their shooting. I loved Saniya, but I think it worked out for all parties. She has a great role that fits her game at NCSU.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom